Monday, September 2, 2013

Pie for My Guy: Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Pie(S)!

I know, I know...it seems like I forgot the month of August pie for my guy, but I promise, this was made, and consumed in AUGUST! ;) (Instagram will back me up.)
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
This ice cream pie is one of my mom's recipes and one of my absolute favorites.
{PLUS: the recipe makes TWO PIES!!!  #winning}

I have to tell you about this crust.  The ingredients may seem a little strange...
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
...but they come together to make this insanely fudgey, sticky, rich, chewy, chocolaty crust.  Ohmygoshsogood!

You can absolutely use green mini chocolate chip ice cream for this recipe...Mom always did.  I'll tell you the truth, though...sometimes, when you stir the chocolate into the ice cream, the green looks...not so beautiful.  So, I used this ice cream from Haagen-Dazs:
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog

Mr. E is not a traditional cake person, so this was his birthday cake.

Over the last several years of blogging, I've learned something.  It's ok if your family wants to slice into dessert after it's dark outside and you've lost the good light for photography.
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
Life is not about the blog, but about enjoying the moment. ;)

Aaaaaand, dessert can always be photographed and eaten the next day for lunch. *cough*
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Pie
{makes 2 pies, from bakeat350.blogspot.com}

1 box chocolate cake mix
¾ c. water
¼ c. canola or vegetable oil
1 (16 oz.) jar chocolate fudge frosting, divided
4 pints (or ½ gallon) mint chocolate chip ice cream
optional: chocolate chip, melted
            whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the cake mix, water, oil, and 1 cup of the fudge frosting in the bowl of a mixer on low speed. Beat for 15-30 seconds, then increase the speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog

The mixture will be very fluffy.  Divide into 2 pie pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they’re not liquidy in the center. Place on wire cooling rack to cool.  The crusts will sink in the middle.
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog

Once the crusts are cool, place the ice cream on the counter for 15 minutes until softened.  Place the remaining frosting in the microwave and heat for about 15 seconds on 50% power, until melted and warm.

chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
Place the softened ice cream in a large bowl along with the heated frosting. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. (Don’t worry if a few places aren’t totally combined.) Divide between the two cooled crusts, smoothing with an offset spatula. Freeze at least 4 hours before serving.

(Optional: melt some chocolate chips and squiggle across the top. Add some piped whipped cream for decoration, if desired.)

For easiest serving, dip the bottom of the pan in hot water for a few seconds. Cut and wiggle a cake server all the way underneath the crust.  It’s fudgey and sticky and needs a little help getting out of the pan. :) 
chocolate mint ice cream pie {recipe makes 2!} ::: bake at 350 blog
I don't want to peer pressure you, but DO IT! ;)

Pie for My Guy, June: blueberry cheesecake pie
Pie for My Guy, July: fried cherry pies



33 comments:

  1. "Aaaaaand, dessert can always be photographed and eaten the next day for lunch. *cough*"

    So funny! I would totally do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never seen cake mix baked as pie crust OR baking frosting. Right into the batter. Learn something new every day! And these are GORGEOUS! Love your thoughts re lighting and sampling the goods :) Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is always having to wait for me to take photos before he can eat. I feel sort of guilty about it, but we can't afford to make things for the blog that aren't actually dinner. That photo is very intimate. I love it. Also, I can't wait to try this ice cream pie. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie is calling my name and I am calling back sweetly! I need this pie, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a seriously creative cake! Cake mix as a pie crust? Cake mix + Fudge frosting in a pie crust? HECK YES! That is such a genius idea and I cannot wait to try it. Plus, it sound like me perfect pie crust. No rolling and chilling! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I certainly wouldn't mind substituting one of these for cake for my birthday! :)
    http://www.thisbakergirlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I's my first time to hear a Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Pie. I'm craving for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness ... I think I'll be requesting this for my next birthday. Yes, indeed.

    Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. E.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great! My kiddo LOVES mint chip ice cream.. and that crust?! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am fascinated by that crust. FASCINATED!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mint chocolate chip ice cream is my favorite, and that crust? So amazing. I'm also thinking this would totally work with black raspberry chocolate chunk ice cream (my husband's fave).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome crust! My husband does not like cake, he always requests pie for his birthday. He would absolutely love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so fantastic! I think I'm going to make this for my father in-law's b-day in October. Yum-o!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious. I am trying this one soon. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZNG! Chocolate and mint is a perfect combo!.. i wil totally do this.. but what about changing the crust with some Dark chocolate brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I freeze one of the crust for later use? This looks awesome and would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe makes two full pies, ice cream and all. :)

      Delete
  17. OMGOSH-Don't you know I am trying to swear off sweets here? I can't stand it and I am not kidding when I say my mouth is watering right now!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my. This looks incredible! Love that picture of the ice cream and the melted frosting. I could eat that part all by itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Our farmer's market sells organic chocolate mint ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would take my friend Pam, we need to go on more adventures together :) And she loves cream too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this chocolate mini ice cream recipe. It reminds of the hot days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks amazing and I love the step-by-step procedure with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, Bridget, this looks amazing. I don't care about strange ingredients when things look this good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. *Jaw drops to the floor* OMG I need this in my mouth now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so right when you say that life is not about the blog but about enjoying the moment. I'm sure Mr. E had many wonderful moments on his special day and what better way to cap it all off than by having a slice of this in the evening. My daughter loves ice cream cake every year for her birthday. This year I think she may enjoy this ice cream pie so I may just surprise her with it later this month. Thanks for sharing Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a longtime reader of your blog, but I have never commented. But the second I saw this post, I knew I had to say something! Growing up, this was the pie my Mom always made for my birthday, like your Mom with traditional neon green mint chocolate chip ice cream! To this day, she'll make a crust for my birthday, freeze it, and then bring it the next time we're together. And, not going to lie, there have been times in my life where I've eaten this pie for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That crust! Oh my goodness, this pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this! I have to try this crust (I'm intrigued and it sounds yummy) and mint chocolate chip is always my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  29. - How to make ice creamYuuummmm....ya, here is the recipe foe delicious dessert. This is really very simple, even kid can try this..!!   Ingredients • Vanilla or any other Flavoured essence 1.5 tea spoon • Cornflou...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover