Monday, June 17, 2013

Desserts for Dudes: Blueberry Cheesecake Pie

It's true.  Men prefer pie over cake.  And by "men," I mean my husband and my dad, but I feel pretty safe making that generalization based on these two people.
Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
I'm fairly certain that's why there are new and contradictory "studies" in the news every other day.  Who knows what to believe anymore?  Here's what we can believe in: pie.

{Oh, there are cookies involved, too.}
Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
This pie combines two of Mr. E's dessert loves...cheesecake and pie.  Win, win.

Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Speaking of Mr. E, I told him that he'd have to check the blog this week for another Father's Day present.  The truth is...I really don't treat him as nicely as I should.  This man who is a wonderful father to kiddo...just the right mix of disciplinarian and goofball.  This man who is a devoted and loving husband.  A man who washes the dishes EVERY NIGHT.  A man who has spent hours (days? weeks?) of his life listening to me complain about the deleterious effects of humidity on curly hair.  A man who knows the names behind the blogs I love, and listens while I read their blog posts aloud and describe every recipe.

Here I am with a baking blog, and I rarely make his favorite dessert....pie.  That's no way to treat the man you love!  Well, here's your extra Father's Day gift, Mr. E.  One pie each month for one year. 

{I wonder if he thought I was going to say "sports car?"}

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Blueberry Cheesecake Pie

for the crust:
1 & 1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps
2 TBSP sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted

for the filling:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

for the topping:
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 TBSP cornstarch mixed with 2 TBSP water

Preheat oven to 325.
Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Stir the crust ingredients together.

Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Press into a 9" pie pan.  Bake for 8 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.  Add in the lemon, vanilla, and eggs; beat until combined thoroughly.

Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Pour into the baked crust and bake for 25 minutes, just until set.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, combine the blueberries, water and sugar in a medium saucepan.
Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Bring to a boil.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Stir in the cornstarch/water mixture, increase the heat and return to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from the heat and let cool.

Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Spoon the thickened berries over the cooled cheesecake filling.  Chill for at least one hour before serving.  Store in the refrigerator.
Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog

(adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Pies and Tarts, 1992)

Desserts for Dudes: blueberry cheesecake pie ::: bake at 350 blog
Is YOUR dude a cake guy or pie man



Online Cake Decorating Class

35 comments:

  1. Well, let's see? My grandpa love pie, my dad loves pie and 3 out of 5 of my brothers love pie! I'd say pie is a good guy dessert!!

    But hey, I take a slice of this any day. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. Might have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most gorgeous use of blueberries I have seen all year! Not even kidding! GORGEOUS!!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I love your blog!
    I'm from Taiwan, and I have your icing cookie book.

    This pie looks so delicious,I might try it recently:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true! Men do prefer pie over cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is also a favorite among dudettes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheesecake is my favourite dessert - doesnt matter what kind. This one looks delicious but I doubt I'll be sharing it with the dudes in my life - all mine! ;-)
    www.thisbakergirlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post and great-looking pie! I'm looking forward to seeing the next 11, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pie a month for a year? My husband would think he's died and gone to heaven! This cheesecake is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget - This pie takes my breath away!!! I don't blame your "dudes" - I'd be a pie person too after this blueberry masterpiece - at least until you make that next batch of awesome cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is one great Father's Day gift! I love it - and this gorgeous pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet Father's Day gift! I adore blueberry cheesecake, and the gingersnap crust is such a great swap from the traditional graham cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice gift. That pie looks delicious!!! great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made a blueberry cheesecake! Great minds and all that...

    I love the idea of gingersnaps as crust!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To be honest, my husband (AKA dude) would have to fight me for that pie. Just love, love blueberries and anything combined with cheesecake is just downright heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely! What a great combination of textures & flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband is for sure a pie guy. So much so that he keeps planting fruit trees in our backyard just so I can't have an excuse for not making pies each week. Our list of trees so far - pear, Gravenstein apple, Meyer lemon, 2 different kinds of cherry, apricot, Santa Rosa plum and blood orange. The Meyer Lemon tree is over 65 years old and produces year round so I also make lemonade for the kids and Meyer Lemon Curd tarts for the hubby. I would like a simple avocado tree but I was told by the man of the house that you can't make pie out of avocados! We also have an olive tree, but again - can't make pie out of olives!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks amazing! I think my husband is more of a cake guy, but we both love pie and cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think my dad is a pie man too. I always see him nibbling on some kind of pie for desert most nights.

    ReplyDelete
  20. **an this pie looks delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The sports car can wait (he still has a 50th birthday coming I'm sure)and in the meantime, this cheesecake and all the others to come will help keeps his mind off a new set of wheels :)

    Seriously Bridget, a very sweet post and a fabulous looking dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mouth is watering! Blueberries and cheesecake are pretty much my two favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny your guys prefer pie! That CRUST! I think I might prefer pie... {gasp!}

    ReplyDelete
  24. For a man or woman, that is one mouthwatering looking pie, Bridget! Such a gorgeous summery dessert. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. +1 for Pie! Specially when it has blueberries and cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Realmente espectacular !!!!
    Hay que hacerlo :)
    Un saludo
    Miguel
    lareposteriademiguel.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is an amazing gift!!! I wish someone would think of gifts like that to give me. The problem seems to be that I'm usually the one doing the cooking, and definitely all the baking.

    I agree, I think pie is pretty much straight up comfort/happy/relaxed food. Cake is good.. but you know.. slightly fussy..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cheesecake is my preferred sweet - doesn't issue what type. This one looks delightful but I question I'll be discussing it with the guys in my lifestyle - all mine! ;-)
    buying runescape gold
    Billig Diablo 3 Gold
    buy aion gold

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dad is probably a cake guy, but I'm sure he'd love this too! The pie looks delicious and beautiful to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made this yesterday - really awesome pie :-) I did switch out the crust for a graham cracker based one with a touch of ginger and cinnamon added to it since I had some graham cracker crumbs I wanted to use up. I'll try it with the gingersnaps next time, plus you really could use any kind of fruit - maybe peaches next time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My guy is a pie guy, but I made this for my bunco group (all gals) and everyone loved it! I used vanilla wafers for the crust and that was delish too. And love the fresh blueberry flavor. Hubby did get the leftovers so he was a happy guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for this recipe, this cheesecake seems delicious, I have to admit cheesecake reminds me our trips to NYC :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is similar to one my friend's mom invented, but hers takes less bake time. Shortbread crust, then whip 3-4oz of cream cheese with whipping cream and confectioner's sugar to fill it. Then top with the blueberry compote you have (she adds fresh blueberries at the end, with a little butter and lemon juice) and chill for a few hours. OMG, it's always a huge hit, and I've made it with strawberries or peaches, too. Think I'll have to try this version sometime and see if hubby notices (because he loves pie, too).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover