Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pie for my Guy: Fried Cherry Pies

Fried Pies!!!  Where have you been all my life?
fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
 (This is the 2nd month of Pie for my Guy.  Last month's pie is here.)

If you see Mr. E and me at any 4th of July gathering, we'll be toting along some fried pies and leaving quickly.  Why?  Well, it seems we've become Mr. & Mrs. Socially Awkward. 

Take the last party we attended.  Me?  I'm *always* socially awkward.  I ran into this woman at the party...I'd been introduced to her before, but had forgotten her name.  Deciding to be a grown-up, I asked her.  And then proceeded to mispronounce her name.  Twice.  In a row.  I just couldn't get it.  Embarrassed, I ended up saying, "well, it's great seeing you again," and high-tailed it to the bar.

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
Mr. E is a different story; he's always at ease and can talk to anyone.  In other words, we balance each other out. At this party, however, he was not so cool.  We were gathered on our friends' patio.  It's a circular patio in the middle of the yard...surrounded by huge, lush ferns and raised about a foot or two above the ground, with a fire pit in the middle. 

Now, we all know how chilly Houston evenings get *cough*, so the fire was blazing...not just contained to the pit, but flames shooting 5 feet in the air.  My make-up was melting, everyone was sweating...and I see Mr. E across the patio.  He's chatting with a nice lady...and I notice him sloooowly inching his chair back away from the fire.  Away from the fire and right over BACKWARDS into the ferns and greenery.  I'm serious.  It happened in slow-motion...EVERYONE stopped talking and watched as he fell.  Flat on his back, legs straight in the air.
*Side note: he kept his beer upright.*

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
So yeah...invite us to your party.  We'll drop the pies and leave.  On second thought, maybe we'll just keep the pies and stay home.  For everyone's sake.

Whether you have a cute little pie mold like this one...
fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
....or not, PLEASE, I beg you.  Fry some pies!!!  Ree has a post on making them without a mold.  That's how pioneer women do it. ;)

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Fried Cherry Pies
(makes 8)

3 cups pitted, halved sweet cherries
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water, divided
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
double pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
flour for dusting
egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
oil for frying (I used grapeseed)

make the filling:
fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
In a saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, 1/8 cup of the water, and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 

Combine the remaining water and the cornstarch.  Add to the filling, return to a boil, and cook for 1 minute or until thickened.  Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
Set aside to cool. 

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
On a floured surface, roll out the pie to to 1/8-1/16" thickness.  Cut into shapes.  

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
Place 1 TBSP in the middle of one cut-out.  Brush the edges with egg wash and top with another cut out.  Crimp edges to seal.  

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
Freeze the pies for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat oil for frying in a large fry pan or dutch oven to 350.  Add the pies, and fry for 4-8 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden.  Drain on paper towels.

Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve. 
fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog


fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
I could. not. stop. taking pictures of the insides of these babies.

fried cherry pies ::: bake at 350 blog
That cherry filling....oh, it's so beautiful and delicious.  You'll have lots of extra for topping ice cream, cheesecake, yogurt...rice cakes?  Whatever.  It'll be good.

Armed with fried pies, we will never be socially awkward again.
Maybe. 

27 comments:

  1. Loved your story, made me laugh! You guys seem like fun at a party in my opinion. :)

    These fries pies look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fried pies look amazing! I need to try these some time.
    Mr. E's spill over the patio reminded me of the time the legs of my Mom's antique rocking chair gave out with a house guest in the seat. He hit the hardwood but his beer stayed upright too.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried pie! Are you kidding? Why have I never though of frying cute little pies!? These are incredible. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried pie?! Yes please! They look super cute, too :-)
    www.thisbakergirlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. THOSE are beautiful! If you showed up with those little beauties, I have a feeling nobody will remember anything else about the party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. Is. Hilarious.

    Seriously, we need to hang out at parties. You can deflect..because I ALWAYS manage to mess something up!!

    Fried pies are one of my favorite things. So...I know they're for your guy, but maybe just ONE could be for your Kristan, too? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least he saved the beer! ;) Totally cute hand pies btw. I keep meaning to make some and it just never happens for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bridget,
    Luckily by this time in my life I know everyone I see at parties. Any time I don't, you're the social butterfly compared to me. My hubby is like your guy, he talks to anyone. I'm sure any awkward moments are completely erased by these mini pies. I've already pinned them.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmm! I LOVE fried pies! And these are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw man. Me and my H are the same way. I'm the biggest introvert ever, and when I say something, there's usually crickets. My H, however, will talk to anyone and they become best buds in 4.73 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well at least you go and talk to people. I don't talk to people in social gatherings. And if I do talk I say at least three stupid things.

    Anyways, I like these pies. They are cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh YES! I would demolish a dozen of these for breakfast, at least! Enjoy your 4th, Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a riot! My husband is the same way - able to talk to anyone and very chatty. Me, I just listen:) I had a similar incident years ago where I tipped my lawn chair backwards and landed flat on my back and my CUP of beer was intact, not a drop spilled. Kind of embarrassing now, looking back. Thanks for the recipes and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look and sound straight up heavenly! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate! My husband and I are always the first to leave. We will try taking the fried pies next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. at least he saved the beer! haha!!

    Love fried pies.......we even have a little fried pie place near our house (luckily it's not TOO close)

    Have a happy 4th Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for making me laugh out loud! If it were me - I'd mess up the woman's name and then I'd be the one falling over backwards in my chair -- and probably spilling my drink on somebody's nice white shorts in the process. Thanks for sharing!
    And for that wonderful pie recipe -- you can come to my house anytime and we can be socially awkward together as we snarf down pie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing the story, I laughed so hard I nearly fell over in my chair :) On the brighter side, at least your hubby's beer didn't spill all over him too :) Love these cherry pies, they look absolutely amazing! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made me laugh...reminds me of my hubby and me :-) And it made me want to fry some pie!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that story! Love those pies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those pies look amazing!!! I'm so glad you couldn't stop taking pictures because I can't stop looking. I want to make some now and I need that mold! Oh so pretty!
    Also glad to know that I'm not the only socially awkward one at parties. Maybe we should all go to the same party ...that should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So funny! And the pies look to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. As long as you leave the pies, it's fine. And may I say, that pie-press thing is soo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How awesome! Fired pies sound like something I need in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh there's just so much JOY!
    I can't stop smiling!
    Envisioning Mr E backing off and into the ferns with those long legs straight up in the air and balancing his beer is just too much!
    HILARIOUS!
    And can I say. I am THE SAME way with names! So awkward. It makes me feel so old.
    I'll stare at someone at a party and say their name over and over again making sure I've got it. And then there's those few people who I can never ever remember their name.
    If you brought these adorable Cherry STAR Pies to my party I wouldn't care what you called me!
    So cute I can't even take it.
    I'd love to dip a few cookies in that filling!
    Love these B!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my these look delicious! Loved the story too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooooo yum! These look amazing! I am loving the cutie star press!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover