Saturday, September 19, 2009

Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffins


Mornings & I don't get along well. But, at the beginning of each school year I try to start off on the right foot...pancakes, muffins, scones....

{By May, we're knee-deep in granola bars and applesauce cups.}

Let me introduce you to my new favorite breakfast...the Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffin.

Normally, I only see cinnamon chips around the holidays, but King Arthur Flour sells the mini version year-round. Woo-hoo!

Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffins
(These are inspired by a Banana/chocolate/walnut muffin recipe from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.)

1/2 c salted butter (yes, salted)
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 mashed, ripe bananas
1/3 c milk
2 c flour (white-whole wheat, unbleached all-purpose, or a mix)
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt
3/4 c mini cinnamon chips

Preheat the oven to 350.

Line muffin tins with 12 lightly greased baking cups/liners. (I use a paper-towel coated in oil and wipe the insides of the liners.)

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl. Add the egg, spices, banana and milk. Stir in the dry mixture, then the cinnamon chips (reserve a few TBSP of chips). Once all the cups are filled, sprinkle the reserved chips on top.

Spoon batter into the prepared cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a cooling rack, then invert out of the pan to cool completely or serve warm.


Related posts:
  1. Pumpkin Cream Cheese
  2. Homemade English Muffins
  3. Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Scones

23 comments:

  1. These look so good! They have all of my favorite flavors in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you~ these look delish, I want one for MY breakfast too bad you don't live closer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like a great way to start your day. I can never find cinnamon chips though! I think I'll have to stock up around the holidays so I have them whenever I see a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh with these you surely have a great start of day. Delicious! Pity I don t find cinnamon chips here :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. where do you find cinnamon chips?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I can't find cinnamon chips in our stores any longer. I actually thought of ordering a case from Hersey! If anybody in the San Diego area know where to find them let me know. For now I'll try King Arthur.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look good I love the cinnamon chips.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These banana chip muffins sound really tasty... Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just saw your cute son at Martha Stewart's website! He is adorable! And the costume is SO funny... I can see your hubby is as creative as you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i knew my overripe bananas were sitting there for a reason! these look like the perfect thing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! Now if I only had some in my kitchen right now. I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look delicious! I need to find some cinnamon chips that are allergy-safe so I can make these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. King Arthur is the only place I've been able to find cinnamon chips. I remember you use to be able to find them in the stores, but no longer. The muffins look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yummy! I didn't know you could get the mini version from King Arthur. You already got me hooked on vanilla bean paste, I think we found a new pantry staple!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow! what a delicious way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! Love the idea of the cinnamon chips! It looks like I'll be going out and buying bananas so I can make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love King Arthur Flour. they have the best stuff. Wow, some amazing looking muffins for sure! Have you seen the new pumpkin spice hershey kisses? Those would be great in recipes, too! I found them at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man, I wish I'd had this recipe last week! We're never going to eat that banana bread. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so nice. Its something to try this weekend. Its mouthwatering recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's very testy Recipe and I also tried to make it...Thanks for share with us..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made these today and they are super delicious! I live in Indiana and was able to buy Hershey brand cinnamon chips at Meijer. I did replace the butter with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, which is my standard procedure with muffins. I will definitely make these again. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover