Friday, March 13, 2009

C'mon. . .EVERYbody's doing it!

If you are addicted to food blogs like I am, you may have noticed these guys cropping up all over the place. Meyer Lemons! Maybe you've seen these beauties from Tartlette, or this tart from 3B's, or this gorgeous lemony post from Cannelle et Vanille.

When I saw Meyer lemons at the store, I wasn't sure what to do with them, but I bought them anyway. :) After looking through all my cookbooks and much debating, I decided on scones!
Meyer lemons smell SO unbelievably good! If you come across them and don't plan to buy, at least pick them up and smell! Heaven!
Here are the scones just out of the oven. I didn't bother with an egg wash on the top since I was going to top them with a glaze.
Oh, man...were they ever good! See those flecks of vanilla bean? I used my vanilla bean paste again. I love that stuff!
The inside was super flaky and flecked with little bits of zest and vanilla bean. One word of advice...eat them while they are warm from the oven. For testing purposes only, I ate 2 warm from the oven, 2 for lunch that day and 2 for breakfast the next morning (my husband was out-of-town...someone had to do it!). Warm from the oven is definitely best, although I'd never turn down a scone in any form!

This recipe is adapted from King Arthur Flour's "Basic Scone" recipe in their Baker's Companion cookbook. If you don't own this book, I highly recommend it! (Also, go check out their blog!)

Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Scones
(adapted from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion)
3 c. all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. dry milk
3/4 tsp kosher/coarse salt
1 TBSP baking powder
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 c. combo of milk and Meyer lemon juice
4 TBSP butter
1/4 c. shortening
2 TBSP Meyer lemon zest (heaping)
~~~~~~~~~
Meyer lemon juice
powdered sugar

Place butter and shortening in the freezer.
Preheat the oven to 450. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla bean paste and the milk/Meyer lemon juice. (I filled my 1/2 c measure about 1/3 full of juice, then topped it off with milk to make 1/2 c.)
Into the flour mixture, grate the cold butter on the large holes of a grater. Break the shortening into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Cut in the fat with a pastry blender or 2 knives, leaving some pea-sized pieces of fat.
Gently stir/fold in the liquid mixture and the zest.
Dump the dough onto a floured surface and gather together until it is cohesive. Divide the dough in half (using your bench scraper) and move to the cookie sheet. Pat each half into a 7-inch circle and then cut each half into eighths. Separate the wedges slightly. (King Arthur says you can freeze the unbaked and cut dough...that's what I did with my other half. Add 2 minutes to the baking time.) 
Bake for 7 minutes, then turn the oven off (don't open the door!) and let them sit in the oven for about 8 minutes more.
While the scones are in the oven, mix a little powdered sugar with Meyer lemon juice. Just eyeball the amounts and mix together with a fork or whisk until you have enough to lightly cover the scones.
Remove the scones from the oven and immediately place on a cooling rack. Place the cooling rack onto the cookies sheet still lined with parchment (this will save more clean up later). Drizzle the lemon glaze of the tops of the scones. Enjoy them warm! :)

36 comments:

  1. These scones look so good. We have a habit of rolling scones here and cutting them out with a large cookie cutter, but those huge wedges definitely look far more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my... these look wonderful i can almost smell them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Those suckers are good but I've always loved lemons.

    Great photos. I love how you can see the bits of lemon zest and all those glorious specks of vanilla bean.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images!!

    I bought some lemons and plan to turn them into a lemon meringue pie for the twelve year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I am addicted to scones! Unfortunately I can't find Meyer lemons here, but I am bookmarking this for the next time I'm stateside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound sooo good!
    That is so funny about the vanilla paste, I just bought some and I am OBSESSED with it.
    It definately is time to start baking up things with lemon, yay for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today must be scone day..I just posted a recipe for dark chocolate raspberry scones.

    Yours looks delicious.

    And I'm gonna have to get some of that vanilla bean paste, too! I bet it lasts a lot longer than vanilla beans and looks like it costs about the same or even less.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found the King Arthur site/blog today and they had a recipe I'd been in search of for weeks and had begun to formulate in my mind what to do... the chocolate cherry bread like I found at Central Market. Yeah, I'm making it this weekend for sure.

    Ok that was totally off topic. Will keep an eye out for those lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great!! Now I want to make some and have a nice big cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so good. I haven't made scones in a long time, you've inspired me to add them to my list of goodies to make (after Bea's Alfajores!).
    Now if I could only find just one meyer lemon here in Vermont.............

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! I will try it - but I'm afraid it will never be as pretty or as yummy as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those scones looks gloriously light and tasty! I am now craving lemons :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh, once again I am drooling. I can only imagine how GOOD they smell, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This scones look amazing and hey, you never, ever need to explain or justify eating numerous scones per day...not even to your cardiologist or trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, goodness, those look soooo good.
    thanks for sharing!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHHHHH!!! I'm a scone addict (pumpkin are my fave) and I've been on the hunt for a lemon scone recipe. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love scones and these look wonderful! Where do you find vanilla bean paste?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I took the recipe, but I highly doubt they'll come out as delicious as they look! I am a mess in the kitchen when it comes to baking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I took the recipe, but I highly doubt they'll come out as delicious as they look! I am a mess in the kitchen when it comes to baking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. these look amazing bridget! aren't meyer lemons the best? slightly sweet... lovely!

    oh, and i love your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never made scones, but I LOVE to eat them. And I've always wanted to try to make them. Especially apricot scones -- my very favorite. Would you say they're something even a very novice baker could handle?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sarah...yes! I think you can make scones! Follow King Arthur's recipe to start...I think they have very throrough instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm telling you... Those look soooo good!! Where do you get vanilla bean paste?

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look so delicious! We have a Meyer lemon tree and I've been trying all kinds of lemon recipes over at my blog the last couple months. I'm so happy to have discovered you, and this yummy looking recipe. I'll be trying it soon. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wani...I bought mine a Sur La Table. In the next few weeks, I may have a little Bake at 350 shop and this is going to be the first product!!! Email me if you are intersted and I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look fabulous! Sometimes I cut the triangles into three triangles getting 24 scone bites. These would look fabulous that way for a ladies tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Meyer lemons...and these scones looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I finally tried your Meyer lemon scone recipe :) (had to buy me some vanilla bean paste). They were tasty! Thanks for sharing. Now . . . what else do I use the paste for? Just use in place of regular vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lynn....yes, I use it in place of vanilla when I want something to look really special or when a recipe calls for vanilla beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look heavenly! Citrus baked goods are up their with my favorites - the tart and the sweet - and the way it melts in your mouth can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Meyer lemons! I don't think I have ever tried a baking recipe with them. The unique flavor they have would work well in baking. Need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Omg. Im totally going to try this. I love scones. Im going to add poppyseeds and use regular lemons cause ive never seen a meyers but they look so good. i buy the lemon poppyseed scones from Wegmans and they just went up by .70 a no.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover