Thursday, May 28, 2009

Edible Image Cookies

terri 40 5
I realized when posting Terri's birthday cookies that I've never posted about her 40th birthday cookies.

Now, I hope Terri won't mind me stating her age, since she looks younger every time I see her.
{In a few years, I'll be making "29" cookies for her. I know, you'll want to hate her, but she's really nice, so you can't.}

So, I had this idea to use a drawing of Terri and have it printed on icing sheets for her cookies.
terri 40 art
First, you need a really talented relative that you can guilt into making the drawing. (Thank you, Maura.)

Then, format the picture to the size you want it to be on the cookies. If you're lucky enough to own an icing printer (oh, how I would LOVE an icing printer!), print them off. If not, do what I did and take the file to your local bakery supply store for printing.

When you are ready to make the cookies, trim the pictures to the right size. Outline and fill the cookies as normal.

While the icing is still wet, peel off the backing of the picture and place onto the icing.
terris 40 drying
Now, here's what I learned the HARD WAY...add a day to the drying time. The icing sheet traps the moisture in the royal icing. It really needs 2 days to dry totally.

I made them the night before, started to bag them up and hop in the car to drive to the party, and OH, NO! The cookies were still wet. I cranked down the AC, turned the fans on high and prayed for the best.
terri 40 1
Well, by the end of the evening, some of the cookie icing was stuck to the interior of the cookie bags. It's the thought that counts, right? :)


If you like these cookies, check out more cookies I made using my cousin Maura's fabulous artwork!!!
Cookies from Art

16 comments:

  1. Love the cookies! I'd kill for an icing printer. I need something printed for a cake I'm making next month and I don't even know where to start looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget...
    You are so amazingly talented! I'm always so impressed when I visit your blog. Those are awesome!
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have seen these-- so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! I just love visiting your site. How about hosting a cookie camp?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love a printer, too... cool that you can print at your local bakery! Your cousin's art is beautiful and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bridget!
    These are adorable!! I have been checking into this at my local bakery supply store..so fun..wish wish wish I had a printer too. Your way talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great and I learn something everytime I read your posts! If you don't mind me asking..how much did getting that printed cost? Such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cookies and cups...it's been a while, but I think they were around $7 per sheet. Depending on the cookie size, I got about 4-6 images per sheet. I can't remember how many I got per sheet for these.

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bridget I LOVE these! What a killer idea and your cousin did a bang up job on the drawing. Seriously I think these are my favorite ones of yours I've seen.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! :)

    I LOVE this edible image idea on cookies!! I've seen it around and didn't know how to go about it! Thanks for giving some pointers... now if I can find somewhere locally to do this for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's a secret tip for PERFECT edible image cookies.
    Ice the cookie in white and let it dry over night.
    "glue" the image sheets on with corn syrup and a small paint brush. This insures a flat smooth surface that dries much faster.
    Also, Icing Magic in W. VA sells them for $5/sheet. (but I guess the shipping would make them more)
    Don't tell anyone my secret!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the pointers! Great job on the cookies, and the art!

    I know at my local shop rite and wal-mart they both charge between $8.00/$10.00 a sheet. Make sure when you have your sheet printed up you check the edible image before you leave the store. I have had several times were I haven't checked the sheets got home went to use them and they cut some of the image off. So to save everyone time and energy check before you leave the store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just have suggested me a great idea for my mom´s birthday! Thanks she will be soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bridget, have you printed out images on wafer (rice) paper? or Have you used it instead of frosting sheets?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover