Cookies from art

So, here is batch #2 of cookies from our trip. These cookies were for my cousin Maura. She is an amazing artist, so I used her artwork and made cookies from it.
I love this skeleton bride and groom! I thought a bride & groom needed a scalloped edge cookie. :)

Isn't this blue bird so sweet?!? I love the little orange beak and feet! (Hey...that rhymes!)
For both of the cookies, I scanned notecards that Maura made (her etsy store is closed now, but if/when (?) she re-opens it, I'll let you know...you'll want some of your own). To make photo or art cookies:
  1. Make sure you have a really talented cousin! :)
  2. Scan the image to be used (make sure you have permission!) and use a photo editing program to crop to fit the cookie. I use the crop tool and image size and view on 100% to see the actual size of the picture. Hold your cookie cutter up to the screen to check.
  3. If you are lucky enough to have an icing printer, print on icing sheets. Otherwise, burn the images onto a CD (my techno-speak is not great, hope I said that right!) and take to a bakery supply store to have printed with edible ink.
  4. Cut the images from the icing sheet, but leave the backing intact.
  5. Outline and fill cookies in white icing.
  6. While the icing is wet, remove the backing from the image and lightly place onto the cookie.
  7. Let dry at least 24 hours...not just overnight...24 hours! These take a while to dry, I think the moisture gets trapped under the image.
  8. Mix a little meringue powder with water.
  9. Using a small paintbrush, apply this mixture around the edges.
  10. Sprinkle with non-pareils; shake off excess.
  11. Let dry.

SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig