Monday, May 25, 2009

Disposable Pastry Bags...Works For Me Wednesday

You know from a previous WFMW that I love squeeze bottles for flooding cookies (filling in the outlines). But here's what I use for piping outlines and adding details...
Disposable Pastry Bags!

Why are these great? No washing! You may have seen these...
...but they require washing and drying after each use. Messy and aggravating!

Some recommend using baggies for a piping bag. I don't. I think they are hard to control, not all that sturdy, and the tip has to be cut off just right.

Disposable decorating bags work for me.
icing bag prep 1
Insert a coupler, cut off the end (most say to cut it further up the coupler, I like to cut off less of the bag, that way there's less of a chance of leakage),
icing bag preps 2
...add a tip and secure with the coupler ring. Now, if you want to change tip sizes, just unscrew the ring, change the tip and re-secure.
{Here's a great link with more details on how to use a pastry/decorating bag.}

Disposable bags are sold at bakery supply stores, craft stores and even WalMart. I buy mine in the box of 100 at Michaels. I cringed the fist time I saw the price, $19.99. I always wait for my 40% off Michaels coupon from the Sunday paper. With the coupon, the bags come to about 12¢ each. (OK...even at full price, they are only 20¢ each, but I feel better using a coupon.:)

Be sure to hop on over to We Are THAT Family for more WFMW tips! I learn something new every week. Here are a few of my previous entries:

24 comments:

  1. I agree about Disposable Pastry Bags... they help you save time and can be covered with a special tip to prevent the icing from drying... I'm not a fan of Pastry Bags and avoid them whenever possible... I only use them for "greasy" decorations such as buttercream, cream cheese frosting, fudge and so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know they made these...

    Great tip!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I just made a cake for my cousins graduation party and I used these. It makes it so much easier and makes for a quick clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I have tried ziplocks as well and in a pinch have used them, but they rip and are messy!!
    Great tip ~ for those out there who don't use them, they will thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only ever used baggies... this looks much easier! Can you get the tips, coupler and coupler ring things at the same places?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use one of the syringe-type tubes instead of a bag. I agree about the inconvenience of washing and drying the reusable bags. One of these days I'll have to try the disposable bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went through so many yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used the disposable bags. I have one decorator bag that I wash constantly. I really need to look into these.
    Thanks for the tip!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaden Paige....yes! You should be able to find them all right in the same section.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you posted instructions for ASSEMBLY of those bags and tips. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person reading your blog who didn't know what to do with all those pieces.....now I know! And I can print your instructions to keep with the supplies I have:) Thank you! You could/should write a book on all this. I'd buy it! Your pictures are beautiful and your instructions are clear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen the 100ct box... I buy them in smaller boxes, but that seems much more reasonable. Will be stopping by Michael's this week! Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use the 40% off coupon too for disposable bags.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aunt Janice...I actually wrote out the instructions without the pictures and remembered you telling me that you weren't sure how to use the couplers. So, I added pictures thinking of you. And, no, you're not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Bridget
    The disposable bags are my favorite. I found an awesome way to keep the bag closed so it doesn't spill and is easy to adjust. The IKEA Bevara clips! http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70083252 I'm telling you they work wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grrr, this thing kicked out my comment!

    I agree though I do have a variety of the other kind. As for the baggies? They've split and exploded on me one time to many!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a side note... I love that table cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. While it seems like this would be a great time saver, it also is very environmentally irresponsible. I try to always keep in mind and try to consider if this one convenience for me is worth the environmental implications. Maybe buying a collection of the non-disposable bags would be a better idea. Then you would have several for projects that involve multiple colors, and not be throwing them away at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I finally bought the 100 count box and love them! I used to buy the ateco one's every once in a while and I hated them...the wilton ones are so much better, and even work without tips and couplers when in a real hurry. Sending you pictures of my monogram cookies tomorrow...all from your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mother cake decorates for a living and at home always uses disposable

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you every shared the recipe you use for your sugar cookies? I've looked around a little but don't see it anywhere...I'd love to have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Tiffany! Look at the top of the blog under "recipe index"...it's there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Duh...gracious! Right there at the top! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    I begin on internet with a directory

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover