Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Double-Duty Kitchen Ingredients . . .Works For Me Wednesday

When our Works For Me Wednesday hostess, Kristen from We Are THAT Family, announced that this week's WFMW would be a "frugal-themed" version, I'll admit, I was a little nervous.

I'm thrifty when it comes to buying clothes and housewares; I love a shopping trip to the local Marshall's, but when it comes to baking and groceries...ummmm...I'm not exactly thrifty. I don't automatically buy the most expensive ingredients, but I don't scrimp, either.

So, for my part, I'm bringing you "double-duty" kitchen ingredients today.

1. Granulated Sugar: Want a mini-manicure while doing dishes? Pour a little granulated sugar onto wet hands, rub and rinse. Voila! Smooth, exfoliated hands!

2. Lemon + Kosher Salt: Sprinkle a cut lemon with kosher salt and use it to scrub a stainless steel sink (I'm pretty sure I stole this idea from Martha.) :)
lemon

3. Baking Soda: A girl's best friend! There are SO many uses for baking soda. Here are 3 of my favorites:
baking soda
  • Combine baking soda with a little water and use to scrub stainless steel pans. It works wonders removing that sticky reside and burnt on food.
  • Use it to clean produce. This is why I am constantly buying baking soda. All-natural, I love it!
pear
  • Most important...as shampoo. I have curly hair...lots of it. :) I also live where it is really humid...blech! Therefore...I use LOTS of product. Once a week washing my hair with a mixture of baking soda and water does the trick to get the gunk out. (Follow with a good conditioner.) This is the best piece of advice I've ever received from a hairdresser.
4. Vanilla Extract: Perfume! Here's how it normally happens in my house. I've been in the kitchen all afternoon, now coated head-to-toe in a light dusting of flour. I hear my husband's car pull up in the driveway. No time to dash for the lipstick...I grab the vanilla extract and dab a little behind my ears. ♥ He thinks I naturally smell like cookies! ♥
vanilla

I want to know....what are your double-duty ingredients?

A few of my previous WFMW posts:

25 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post, Bridget! I love your ideas and I'm so glad you rose to the challenge ;D

    One of my favorite double duty ingredients is lemons. I love grinding up the peels to freshen up my disposal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I've got another one for the vanilla. You take a drop, and rub it on the top of a lightbulb. Once the light's on and heats up...you get the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a whole book full of other uses for kitchen ingredients. Its amazing what you can do with white vinegar alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I also list lemons and baking soda as my fav cleaning products but I did not know to use them the way you do. Thanks! And LOL I love the vanilla tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.naturallycurly.com

    I have lots of curly hair, too. This website has lots of ideas to help your curls look their best and use less product!!!

    (I'm not affiliated with the site - lol_)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great ideas! I laughed out loud about the vanilla. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the salt and lemon, I use that on my cutting boards.
    Also, for a pan with starch residue just pour white vinegar in the pan and wipe with a paper towel and your pan will be sparkling clean!!
    For super tough stains, white vinegar and baking soda work wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, when I use my Mexican vanilla, will he think I just came up from the valley? ;)

    Double duty... let's see -

    regular granulated sugar can be put in the food processor to make super fine sugar.

    peanut butter... so good to eat (as long as you're not allergic) and yet, it seems I remember it helps get gum out of hair. A tip that all of us with kids needs to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baking soda is also great for removing gunk from around faucets. I use an old toothbrush & a paste of baking soda & water, and just scrub away!

    Also - white vinegar. I used some just this morning to freshen up a load of laundry that lingered overnight in the washer. Just a glug of vinegar & a rinse cycle, and it's fresh again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the vanilla as perfume tip. And its so much cheaper then the perfumes I normally buy. Grin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE YOUR TIPS BRIDGET! I ESP. LOVE THE BAKING SODA TIPS I HAD NO IDEA THAT YOU COULD CLEAN FRUITS AND VEGGIES WITH IT!! PS- FOR MY PEPPERS I USED CREAM CHEESE, A LIL SALSA AND A LIL FANCY SHREDDED CHEESE,MIXED WELL.HALF THE PEPPERS,SEED THEM AND STUFF WITH MIXTURE :)WE ATE THEM SO QUICKLY I COULDN'T TAKE A PICTURE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite use for baking soda is to get the coffee/tea stains out of the sink or mug or wherever they are (I haven't tried it with fabric). I just pour a little in and rub it, usually you don't even need water. The stainless steel sink at work was brown from so many people dumping coffee in it, I used a little baking soda on it and it's sparkling now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I want to try the lemon + salt idea! Also, I never thought to clean produce with baking soda - I'll definitely have to try that on the peppers I just bought. :-) Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ideas! I love the baking soda in your hair idea... What a nifty tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great ideas! I'll have to give them a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the natural perfume...except that would make me crave cookies all day! LOL :)

    I am definitely trying the sugar scrub for washing dishes.

    Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post.

    Just found your blog and enjoyed reading it.
    I hope you will stop by and visit me.

    The May give away has started....and next week I will be blogging from Disney World.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the baking soda shampoo tip!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful!!! Such great ideas! I love double duty ingredients!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of washing produce with Baking Soda... does it only work for firm produce?

    Thanks, Amy Ellen at HealthBeginsWithMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Any Ellen...I use it with all produce. I read that you can also add baking soda to water to soak produce, but I just sprinkle on, rub and rinse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are GREAT ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll be trying the "curly hair solution" for my daughter! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover