Sunday, March 8, 2009

The return of the pink poodle

The pink poodle cookies returned this week for a little girl's birthday party.

Some of you have been asking for more detailed pictures of the process, so here are a few. I promise to work on adding more. :)
For the step-by-step instructions for making these, go here. The cookies above have been outlined, sectioning off the areas that will be different colors. After this dries for several minutes, it's OK to begin flooding the cookie with thinned icing. Here, I started with the darker icing because I figure if I accidentally drop some of the lighter icing on top of it, it won't matter as much. I'll be covering the darker pink with sanding sugar.
When flooding with the thinned icing, I work about 3 cookies at a time. This one had been filled and the icing has begun to spread while I filled the other 2 (and grabbed the camera). From here, I used a toothpick to guide the icing to the edges and into the corners.
Here she is after using the toothpick. After this step, the cookies sit out overnight (uncovered) so that the icing will dry. Click here to see details about how I set up a sanding sugar station.

Since I had the stopwatch out timing my son on some math problems, I timed how long it takes to "sand" each of these cookies....43 seconds. I was surprised it was so fast! From there you can figure about how long it will take to add sanding sugar to 1 dozen: 9 minutes, For 5 dozen: 43 minutes (plus the time to get out supplies and set up).
The faces were drawn on with an AmeriColor Gourmet Writer food coloring pen in black.
And....here is the icing aftermath. :)

26 comments:

  1. Love this COOKIE! Thank your for this tutorial, I've learnt so much from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the icing aftermath, too! Bridget, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be you when I grow up!! I bought the poodle, Eiffel Tower, heart set from Sur La Table over a year ago, baked them lots, and then clucked on the decorating. NOW I'm inspired...thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are truly a cookie artist! these are so cute! what a great treat for a party :O) thanks for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing but how do you only get the sanding sugar where you want it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. THOSE ARE GREAT, I LOVE THE TUTORIAL :) P.S. I TRIED THE CARMEL CHOC. BROWNIES AND THEY ARE CRAZY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd never have the patience to make those - you're amazing1

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you listen closely, you can hear me chanting "Workshop, workshop, workshop" But no pressure :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jennifer...

    Try going HERE and HERE for more info on sanding sugar application. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget, I bow to your greatness. While I didn't make cookies, I did use that same techinque to make a little house and a blue bird for one of my Wilton cakes and it was NOT easy. You on the other hand make it seem effortless and do an amazing job! You go girl!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is amazing the time you put into your cookie art(*I like that comment below)!!You really are a cookie artist! I have no patience.These are so cute! You need to write and publish a book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies are absolutely gorgeous! I liked reading about how you went about sanding the cookies - great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great!! Is there somewhere on your blog that gives the sugar cookie recipe you use? I might not be looking in the right place. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspirational as always! And how tidy you are, Bridget! My icing aftermath should be called 'hurricane aftermath'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy...look under the posts labeled "livestrong" for the recipe I use the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bridget, Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a great name!

    I love cookie decorating. I'm learning lots from your tips. =]

    ReplyDelete
  18. ADORABLE! Please teach me! I want to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad they came back for a little visit. They are so cute and girly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG... these pink poodles are way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really an adorable pink cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE YOUR COOKIES THERE VERY VERY BEUTIFULL AND ELAGANT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Quick question on these cookies. Do you think its really necessary to outline and fill where you are going to put the sugar? Can't I just flood all one color and have it dry. Then wet the cookie where the sugar needs to be put

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover