I made these a few years ago for a little girl's birthday party. I was nervous, to be honest, about making poodles, but really happy with the way they turned out.
To make the poodles:
- Outline poodle body in bright pink royal icing using a #2 tip, making separate outlines for the head, leg, tail, neck "poufs" and ear (AmeriColor Electric Pink).
- Thin bright and light pink icing (AmeriColor Deep Pink) with water to the consistency of syrup. Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.
- Run a rubber spatula gently through the bright pink icing and transfer to squeeze bottle. Fill in "pouf" areas and ear. Use a toothpick to guide into corners.
- Using the light pink icing, transfer to squeeze bottle as above and fill in the remainder of the body.
- Let sit overnight.
- Using a mixture or meringue powder and water, paint the bright pink areas with a small paint brush. Shake on bright pink sparkling sugar. (Click here for how to set up a "sanding station.")
- Using a black food coloring pen, add the face details (AmeriColor Gourmet Writers).