Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sassy Pink Poodles

It's been dreary here lately, so I thought I would show you a bright, happy cookie to fight the blah's!

I made these a few years ago for a little girl's birthday party. I was nervous, to be honest, about making poodles, but really happy with the way they turned out.

To make the poodles:

  • Outline poodle body in bright pink royal icing using a #2 tip, making separate outlines for the head, leg, tail, neck "poufs" and ear (AmeriColor Electric Pink).
  • Thin bright and light pink icing (AmeriColor Deep Pink) with water to the consistency of syrup. Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a rubber spatula gently through the bright pink icing and transfer to squeeze bottle. Fill in "pouf" areas and ear. Use a toothpick to guide into corners.
  • Using the light pink icing, transfer to squeeze bottle as above and fill in the remainder of the body.
  • Let sit overnight.
  • Using a mixture or meringue powder and water, paint the bright pink areas with a small paint brush. Shake on bright pink sparkling sugar. (Click here for how to set up a "sanding station.")
  • Using a black food coloring pen, add the face details (AmeriColor Gourmet Writers).

24 comments:

  1. I love these cookies!!! Sounds like you took a lot of time on them :) they were well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of your cookies! Love the snob "poodle" face :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I love posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are too cute! But I love all of the cookies you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 7-yr-old granddaughter, who's still very much in her pink phase, would adore these. Too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are precious! Yes, it has been gloomy around these parts lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWW I love them :)They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. Love the face and the sugared fur!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have something for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the cutest thing I have ever seen!! You did a beautiful job! I have a soft spot for poodles. Mine is named Pinky so you can only imagine how much I love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these are awesome. Just cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i needed a little bright pink to cheery up this cold winter night. i love these, so adorable, and i don't even like poodles! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I know this is an un related comment, but I just tried to make red velvet cake balls and I hated them. I used red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting (all made from scratch) and the texture, once the cake and frosting were combined was not for me.
    Now I may have combined the cake and frosting incorrectly, or this is best when using cake mix and canned frosting? I was trying to make them a bit more "gourmet" but maybe they're not meant to be.
    How do you combine the cake and frosting?? Mixer, food processor, by hand??
    I may try one more time. Please let me know how you do it??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura...

    I think they are best if they sit a day...or two.

    I mix them with a wooden spoon. Going by Bakerella's instructions, I have only used a cake mix and canned frosting. I don't use the whole can, just a little over half and then see if the cake will come together into balls, adding more if I need to.

    I hope you try again...I know yours will be fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. those are the cutest ever! you are so talented

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Bridget. I'll probably try again but not for Valentine's Day. I'm sticking with Raspberry Pate de Fruit this year.
    maybe I'll use mix next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so great! I have a little white poodle named Madeline, these look just like her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah!Dina's Gonna eat that all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover