Monday, July 7, 2014

Milkshakes of Desperation

It was New Year's Eve.  Mr. E and I took kiddo and a friend to a basketball game.  We decided that on the way home, we would stop for a treat at a new restaurant in town famous for their "fancy" milkshakes.  I'd just gotten an email from the restaurant that day stating they would be open for New Year's Eve. 
milkshakes of desperation (ice cream sandwich milkshakes) #milkshakeweek
All through the game, I thought of those milkshakes.  No champagne toast this year, but oh, how I was looking forward to my shake...and looking forward to surprising the boys with a special NYE treat.

On the way home from the game, we pulled into the restaurant parking lot.  I could see a few tables were filled, but not many.  We walked in the door, and a host came up immediately, "I'm sorry. We're closed."

What?  CLOSED?!?  "Oh," I said, "we're just here for milkshakes to go."  To which he replied, "we closed at 9 and have already shut down our milkshake machine."  Y'all...do you ever get your heart set on having something and then broken when you find out you can't.  This is an example of how my motto is "live to eat," and not "eat to live."

I'm embarrassed to say that I pouted a bit.  OK, maybe a lot.  I'd been planning my milkshake order for a good 5 hours at this point.  I'm twice as embarrassed to say that when I double checked the restaurant's email from earlier in the day, they clearly stated that they would be closing at 9pm.  Oops.

milkshakes of desperation (ice cream sandwich milkshakes) #milkshakeweek
So, once we were home, I was BOUND and DETERMINED to have a milkshake.  Small problem...we had no ice cream. 

Ice cream sandwiches to the rescue!!!  Blended up with a splash of milk, and a good glug or two of fudge sauce, and you're in milkshake heaven.

milkshakes of desperation (ice cream sandwich milkshakes) #milkshakeweek
I highly recommend Blue Bell Ice Cream Sandwiches...if you don't have them where you live, any non-diet brand will do.

For the fudge sauce, I've used homemade and store-bought.  Homemade is my favorite (here's the recipe I use), but store-bought is also delicious. 

milkshakes of desperation (ice cream sandwich milkshakes) #milkshakeweek

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg

Milkshakes of Desperation (Ice Cream Sandwich Milkshakes)

7 ice cream sandwiches
2-3 TBSP milk
1/4 cup (feel free to eyeball this) fudge sauce, store-bought or this recipe

Break up the ice cream sandwiches into about 3 pieces each.  Place in a blender along with the milk and fudge sauce.  Blend until smooth.

Divide between two or three chilled glasses.

milkshakes of desperation (ice cream sandwich milkshakes) #milkshakeweek
Adding whipped cream and a cherry is fine, but remember, you're desperate and probably don't have time for all of that. ;)

You know what?  It's Milkshake Week!  Oh yes, it is!  The brainchild of Julie and Lindsay...be sure to check out their posts all week, as well as the other bloggers who are also celebrating:
Woo hoo!  Let's hashtag it!  #milkshakeweek  Oh, yeah!

24 comments:

  1. This is perfection! I really like milkshakes, but I don't make them nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is basically the smartest idea ever ever everrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine how good this must have tasted - I must make one and see for myself. And I hate when I think I have another piece of chocolate and only to reach in the bag and it's empty, I feel your pain and disappointment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want 10 of these and I love the little ice cream sandwich bite on the straw, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I love that story! I hope you eventually got your fancy milkshakes, but this is awesome. I never would have thought of doing that, but now I need to make it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ice cream sandwich makes this the cutest milkshake ever. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm now desperate & need this milkshake asap! Loving Milkshake Week ~ the recipes are a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be all pouty, too!
    Blending up ice cream sandwiches is brilliant! I can only imagine how amazing these are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget, I am all kinds of impressed! I wouldn't have thought to blend ice cream sandwiches in a million years. This is seriously the cutest, most fun milkshake ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought of putting ice cream sandwiches into the blender. Pure genius. These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound awesome! I wouldn't have thought to blend up ice cream sandwiches, but now I'll have to try it! And yes...I have definitely had it happen where I had my heart set on a particular something and then it's weirdly devastating to find out it's not going to happen. Thank goodness your ingenuity could fix this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This story is hilarious, Bridget. And your solution is ingenious! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are brilliant! Not only do these sound delicious, but they look so CUTE served with the ice cream sandwich straw...also brilliant! BTW, I would have pouted too, but I guess I'm glad they were closed because now I have this milkshake recipe:) Time to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man I hate when that happens... but kind of glad they were closed so you could create this tasty treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would have totally pouted!! but I love that you came home and made your own incredible milkshake!! genius using ice cream sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You call it desperation, I call it GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that story! Also, that shake looks awesome! Great invention.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, milkshake disappointment! But then again, you ended up with this fab homemade version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look amazing Bridget! Can't wait to give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Genius! I have so many stories of trying to go places after they have just closed. Who keeps track of time?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Power of an Investment is Dollar Invest, Now you can invest as low as $5 and get double profit within a week
    Dollar-inv.co

    ReplyDelete
  23. All Time Profit is best platform for best profit online on internet, earn 1.50% hourly for 200 hours, total 300% profit within a week
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover