Thursday, April 11, 2013

Whoppers Chocolate Malt Frosted Brownies

whoppers brownies tray photo whoppersbrowniestraymilk.jpg
I sometimes forget how much I love Whoppers.  They're so unassuming.  No oozy caramel, no nuts, no nougat...just the perfect little malted milk ball.

Whoppers are just so darn fun.  I guess it's the shape.  Plus 18 pieces for 190 calories?  
Hellooooooo, bikini. 
*just writing that is making me laugh*

Not that we're counting calories here...we're making brownies.  Oh yes!
whoppers brownies tray above photo whoppersbrowniestrayabove.jpg
We're starting with a box mix (sue me), adding a little malt flavor, then topping the whole thing off with a milk chocolate-malt ganache frosting.  And, of course, we're adding Whoppers in wherever we can.

Feel free to use a homemade brownie recipe here, but Ghiradelli makes a delicious, fudgy mix.  Let's vow right now to stop feeling guilty...and making each other feel guilty...for using a mix.  K? K.  I have plenty of items on my list for confession and using a boxed brownie mix isn't one of them.

whoppers brownies close photo whoppersbrowniesclose.jpg
Look at that FROSTING!!!  And that fudgy brownie underneath?!?  You guys...these brownies are EPIC!!!  Epic!  (Do people say "epic?"  People over 40? If not, please ignore and replace with "freakingdelicious.")

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Whoppers Chocolate Malt Frosted Brownies

brownies:
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
18 oz Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix
1/4 cup original malted milk powder
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Whoppers

frosting:
1 cup heavy cream
3 TBSP original malted milk powder
11.5-12 oz milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Whoppers

Preheat oven to 325 and grease an 8x8 baking pan.

Stir together the egg, water, and oil.  Add in the brownie mix and malted milk powder and stir until combined.

whoppers brownies batter photo whoppersbrowniesbatter.jpg
Pour the batter into the baking pan and scatter the chopped Whoppers on top.  Lightly press into the batter.  Bake for 39-45 minutes, or until done.

whoppers brownies baked photo whoppersbrowniesbaked.jpg
Cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.

Meanwhile, make the frosting.  In a saucepan, heat the cream until simmering.  Remove from heat and whisk in the malted milk powder.

Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the hot cream over the top.  Let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes, then stir gently until smooth.

whoppers brownies ganache photo whoppersbrowniesganache.jpg
Place this bowl in an ice water bath and stir occasionally while the frosting thickens and cools.  You can put this in the fridge without the water bath, stirring occasionally, it will just take longer.  Once the frosting is totally cooled and thickened, place in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes.  The frosting will become lighter in color.

whoppers brownies frosted photo whoppersbrowniesfrosted.jpg
Spread about 2/3 of the frosting onto the cooled brownies. (Use the rest to spread on graham crackers OR...add some to the leftover fudge ripple from yesterday, add ice cream and make a chocolate malt!  Oh my gosh!) Scatter with the chopped Whoppers.

Cut and serve immediately (a bench scraper makes an easy way to cut...and I love this mini spatula from Pampered Chef), or store in the fridge.
whoppers brownies frosting close photo whoppersbrowniesfrostingclose.jpg
You KNOW you want to swoop your finger through that frosting!!!

candy bar week logo photo candybarweeklogo.jpg
Bringing you Candy Bar Week with Shelly & Kristan has been a little like sitting at the cool girls' lunch table.  
Except I don't know what that was like, I sat with the choir/drama nerds and other general misfits.

Today, cool girl Kristan is bringing you Peppermint Patty Bombes!
(Earlier this week, she baked up Heath Bar Salted Caramel Brownie Trifles and Mounds Layer Cake.)

Cool girl Shelly is bringing 3 Musketeer Fudge Brownies today!
(And earlier this week, she created Take 5 Bars and Whatchamacallit Popcorn.)


I am officially fat and happy...how about you?!?




44 comments:

  1. Umm, these brownies...
    I feel like they're too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cruel to have posted these this early in the morning.
    Malted milk balls are the best...I'm defenseless against that airy, crunchy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!! You did it again! These brownies are probably the best brownies I have ever seen! Even better than brownies with oreos!! Gosh I could eat that frosting with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea malted milk powder existed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that gorgeous frosting! My goodness...these are heavenly, Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many chocolate chips? 8 ounces, half cup? Just wondering because that frosting looks awesome and I don't want to mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK! So sorry...it's all fixed now (in the post and printable). 1 (11.5-12 oz) bag of milk chocolate chips. :)

      Delete
    2. Waving from Houston....Bridget, I know this may sound silly but since I have publically stated you are one of my favorite daily reads, I guess it's okay to ask. Here goes ...How do you chop a whopper ( oh dear..that sounds odd..LOL ) ? I adore Whoppers, they were a favorite of my late fathers..but I had this vision after reading the recipe of trying it at home and all I could see was Whoppers air born from the cutting board bouncing off the wood floors. Then again , I might just needs more coffee..lol

      Thanks,
      Aunty Pol aka Jane

      Delete
  7. Jon David LOOOVES the word, "Epic". He says it CONSTANTLY.

    And my husband loves Whoppers. They are his all time favorite.

    So what I'm saying is, you've made both my boys happy with this post.

    I had so much fun baking with you this week, B!! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really sad to see Candy Bar Week come to an end. REALLY. SAD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. O.M.G. superdelicious!!!!! I really want one here :)

    kisses from Italy!
    Alessandro
    http://fancyfactorylab.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADORE!!!!! And yes, they are epic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything malt and chocolate has me swooning. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! Great pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The frosting is calling my name. Love malted milk balls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. one of my favorites candies! I've made a chocolate pie with them, but I need to make brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW these look SO yummy! And very naughty!
    Thanks for the recipe, definitely adding them to by brownie repertoire!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read a post bashing mixes, but I think sometimes they can be great - Ghirardelli, in particular. These look amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Fat & happy, why, yes, I am! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, yet another one to make my life that much sweeter and better. Love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so decadent... What a great idea and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the texture of malted milk balls. I like sucking the chocolate off them too :P I'm weird, oh well. These brownies look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Makes me want to go to the movies... That's the only place I ever eat Whoppers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How funny, I just recently made cupcakes with chocolate malted frosting! But BROWNIES?! Sounds even better! I'm a sucker for brownies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How good is candy bar week? I loving the crap out of this. I don't even really love candy bars on their own (so sickly sweet) but in a baked good with some salt and butter and other goodness I am there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Helloooo Bikini! HaHa! You crack me up! These look so good, I mean EPIC! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. we use Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix ALL the time - except for times like last night when we had no mix, so Allison made brownies from scratch. Wish I had seen this yesterday - all we needed were the whoppers! ---next time for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I laughed until I cried & then I laughed again. These bars are a whoopin' good time....crumbs from these on the bikini after enjoying them would make one look a whole lot hotter!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bridge, your Whoppers Brownies are insane! Love that there's whoppers upon whoppers. Love those dang things. Too. Much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh these looks so good! Whoppers are so good, I can't imagine how good they would be in brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  28. They are TOTALLY Epic! I think there are some whoppers in the kid's Easter stash....

    ReplyDelete
  29. So, you're saying 2 layers of chopped whoppers, frosting AND brownies?! Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Bridget, You are funny, and the brownies look decadent and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness. It's impossible to resist brownies this good. It doesn't even matter that it's made with a mix. So decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Whoppers are an all time favorite, I can do this. If I don't eat them all first when I sneak them into the movie theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the sound Whoppers make rolling out of the carton. I used to eat so many the inside of my mouth would be all cut up. I can't wait to try these brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Definitely fat and happy too! I should put my leftover Robin's Eggs from Easter to good use and make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  35. My favorite whoppers are the stale chewy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG...these look AMAZING!!! My husband loves Whoppers & I'm getting the ingredients that I don't already have in my pantry & will be fixing these for some company this weekend. I can't belive how wonderful these look!!! YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover