Monday, April 8, 2013

It's Candy Bar Week! Snickers Scones!

snickers scones photo snickersscones.jpg
Shelly, Kristan, and I are declaring this week CANDY BAR WEEK!!!  I'm not sure if that makes it official, but I plan on marking it on my calendar for years to come.

candy bar week logo photo candybarweeklogo.jpg
I started thinking about the fact that breakfast really gets the short end of the stick in candy bar consumption.  Poor breakfast.  No wonder everybody skips it.

So, I bring you....Snickers Scones.
snickers scones 3 photo snickersscones3.jpg
Not like those hard scones that can be used to hammer in nails (don't get me wrong; I like those, too), these scones are light and fluffy.  Don't be put off by the candy bar name...they're not super rich and they pair beautifully with a bowl of fruit and a cappuccino.

snickers scones close photo snickerssconesclose.jpg
A perfectly balanced breakfast. ;)

Also, this is a great excuse to stock up on that 50% off Easter candy. (Not that you need an excuse.)


print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Snickers Scones

for the scones:
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 TBSP salted butter, frozen
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped Snickers, frozen

for the topping:
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon shortening
Snickers, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 450 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.

snickers scones butter collage photo snickerssconesbuttercollage.jpg
Grate the frozen butter on the large holes of a box grater.  Stir into the flour until well coated.

snickers scones milk photo snickerssconesmilk.jpg
Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Pour into the flour/butter mixture and stir until combined (the dough will look very shaggy).  Fold in the chopped Snickers.

snickers scones dough collage photo snickerssconesdoughcollage.jpg
Scoop the dough out onto a floured surface and pat into an 8" circle.  Use a floured bench scraper to cut into 8 wedges.

Place the wedges 1/2" apart on a baking sheet.  If any Snickers are poking out of the dough, push them back in to avoid the caramel oozing and burning while baking.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden.  Remove from the baking sheet and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

snickers scones drizzle photo snickerssconesdrizzle.jpg
While the scones are cooling, make the topping.  Melt the chopped chocolate and shortening in the microwave on 50% power for 30-second intervals.  Stir after each interval until melted.  Use a spoon to drizzle over the scones.  Sprinkle on the chopped Snickers.

snickers scones 1 photo snickersscones1.jpg
Candy bars for breakfast.  If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

OK...now GO over to Kristan and Shelly's blogs.  Like, right now.  Not only are they two of the funniest and sweetest and coolest girls I know, they also work magic in the kitchen.

Kristan is making Heath Bar Salted Caramel Brownie Trifles...oh. my. word.
Shelly is making Homemade Take 5 Bars...are you kidding me?!?



Be sure to come back  for more CANDY BAR WEEK!!!


Sur La Table 120x600 11.27.07

44 comments:

  1. I love the idea of candy bar week! I have a candy recipe coming later in the week. The scones are wonderful. Snickers are a fave:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! No candy in breakfast is EXACTLY why people always skip it. I KNEW it!
    And I have a slight fascination with scones, yet have never made one. Which seems like the saddest thing ever.
    So basically, I'm making these for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my ... the perfect start to the day or for an afternoon tea, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy Bar week!!! Holy yes!! This is crazy and these scones looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look AMAZING! Love Candy Bar Week!!! How exciting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. :O These would be so evil in my household....I would need to eat them all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snickers are the best and I love scones! Perfect combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, girrrrrl. You've got me drooling over here! Just add these to my ongoing list of why breakfast is my FAVORITE meal of the day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snickers scones?? Oh my WORD!! They look amazing. I've got to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh.my.geez! Bridget you're absolutely right!! I didn't *need* an excuse to eat candy for breakfast but I'll definitely take it!! These scones look divine and I love love the fact that you grated the butter instead of cutting it in. Can't.wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There aren't enough breakfasts that include candy bars. It's a national travesty, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snickers are my favorite! This is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a terrible idea! The last thing I need is desert inspired breakfast food, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa. These just blew my mind. I hope to make these in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always liked snickers but now I think I'm in love with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oohhh... I've never grated frozed butter before. Sounds like a fun baking project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I can justify eating a Snickers for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now this is my kind of breakfast! I'd love to wake up to these delicious scones - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow.. Wouldnt mind having these for breakfast!!!

    Mr. & Mrs. P
    www.cristyandmichael.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grating frozen butter ... GENIUS!!! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not an avid breakfast eater but I think I will be after these! Side note: Kristan's site never loads on my computer, I tried using different browsers and still, nada :/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hurrah! Candy bar week rocks already! Can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Candy for breakfast ... I love it ... I always hid that from the kids ;) Thank you for sharing this recipe! I forget about grating frozen butter, thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Snickers and Scones? in ONE? Ehmuhgah. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And I used to think that Morning Glory Muffins made for a great breakfast. Move over muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another excuse to go to the Target sale candy section, I'll take it. These would make my mornings so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds so amazing! It is a winning combo - snickers and scones!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the idea of a candy bar in a scone. I also love the idea that I will now have to go out and buy some Snickers bars - some for me and some to make these scones. A win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh dear LORD. Those look sinful. I shall make them. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yummy yummy! These look amazing! I'm always a fan of a dessert scone, but because you say this can be eaten for breakfast, I might as well enjoy it at the start of my day as well as the end of my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Candy bar week? This is going to be the best week ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have grown up on scones but never had candy scones!! Sounds like a great breakfast to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Snickers on scones - it's like a dream come true. I used to be addicted to Snickers, but then I've decided to say goodbye to this kind of sweet food. But your scones - it's a different story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These sound crazy and amazing I think I may have to make them soon. I'm a bit of an aspiring baker and I've recently set up a baking blog. It's www.gonecoco.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Quinn by all accounts, is sex cam the front-runner now,
    but the power button and the headphone jack. It's important to keep in touch with you if you win your information is not a country where Women's Lib.


    My homepage ... sex cams

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm totally annoyed that I forgot to look for Easter candy the day after. Even if I don't buy something, I like to know what I'm missing out on :)

    These look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are killing me! I think I may try to bake them gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I made these today with Rolos....I thought they might be over the top sweet but they are not! They are divine!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh heck yes. Now these would get me out of bed in the morning, no problem. As if I didn't love scones enough already, now you've gone and added one of my favorite chocolate bars. Get in my belly!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look brilliant. I can't wait to try them. I'm all in favor of candy for breakfast. What a perfect way to fight off depression than eating chocolate first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover