Saturday, September 10, 2011

So Long, Summer.

Dear Summer,  
this is what you're supposed to be about, right?
{darling camper found via Jen's pinterest board & from this blog}

Tooling around the country with a cute little vintage camper?  Visiting national parks, roasting hot dogs, making s'mores?

You are NOT supposed to be about massive flooding, wildfires, and drought.
 
So long, summer.  This is the end of the road; we're breaking up.  I'll miss your delicious tomatoes and juicy, sweet peaches.  But still, we're through.  It's not me, it's you.

My new love Fall will be along any day.  And guess what?  We're going camping.
 

Well, at least we're making camping cookies.

To make the vintage-y camper cookies, you'll need:

  • camper-shaped cookies (I used a template)
  • royal icing tinted with AmeriColor Super Black, Turquoise mixed with Leaf Green, Bright White, and Super Red
  • disposable icing bags
  • couplers and tips: #2, #1 
  • squeeze bottles
  • toothpicks
 
First, with a #2 tip, pipe a wheel on the camper.
{Yes, the cookies are speckled...a recipe I'll share with you *someday.*  <<< that's called a teaser.}

Outline the campers in black, using a #2 tip.

Since we're working with black, give it a little extra time to dry.  I outlined the cookies, folded laundry and ran to the grocery store before filling.

Thin the white and green icings with water, a little at a time, until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.

Stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop any large air bubbles that have formed. Transfer to squeeze bottles.

Fill in the camper with the thinned icings.  Use a toothpick to guide into corners, edges and pop any air bubbles.

Let the cookies sit for at least 1 hour. Again, since we're working with black, I'll give it a little more time.  Go for a walk, play a board game, watch Real Housewives...give the flood at least an hour to set.

Use a #1 tip to pipe the window in black.

Use a #2 tip to add details in red.

 
 {Thanks to Jen for the camper inspiration!}

See ya next year, Summer.

45 comments:

  1. These are most precious! Now I totally want to go camping in a camper just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I cant have that camper , I MUST have those cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I agree...so over this summer! I made some tear drop camper cookies earlier this summer. They would look cute next pulled up next to yours at the campground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok these are SO cute!! and you know I LOOOOVE the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love, love, love your cookies. it makes me want to attempt to decorate cookies which I know will be a complete and total disaster but I just need cute cookies like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I say this all the time, but I think those are my favorite cookies you have made. They are beyond adorable!

    xoxoxox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually comment on blogs (major lurker), but I LOVE these cookies and the real camper inspiration is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that Amanda had pinned these cookies, from "Bake at 350" and I practically screamed, "She made the trailer into a cookie!" They make me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cookies are so super-cute! Love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable and I cannot agree more with you about waving buh-bye to summer 2011...it has not been my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. had a good time this summer but I'm really looking forward to Fall as well. Beautiful cookies--I've always been intimidated by cookie decorating but you make it look so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Bridget! I want the camper and those cute cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! But I fear that my sad little cooking skills won't get me past the cookie cutter stage. :( I'll just have to admire these from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are soooo cute, I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que lindas y originales te quedaron estas galletas. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute camper cookies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with those cookies AND that vintage camper! LOVE that color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not much of a camper but if I had something that adorable I might reconsider!

    Cookies are darling. Hoping your predictions for winter are as right on.

    Colorado didn't suffer from the major wildfires that can so often devastate our state (though usually in more mountainous regions where less people are affected what the poor people of TX have had to deal with) so we seemed to have escaped some of the natural disasters throughout the rest of the country.

    Hoping the snow Gods don't make up for it this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There really couldn't be anything more adorable than being in the middle of the woods with a camper like that...eating THOSE COOKIES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't camp. EVER. As a rule. I think I'd camp in one of these though. So super darling! Love 'em. I'll post a link on ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com tomorrow, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the campers. Your are so creative. I spent an hour showing this website to my mom on her recent visit. She loves them too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable and I'm with ya, good riddance, Summer 2011! Leave it to you to come up with the cutest darned Pinterest-inspired cookie! Happy camping!

    ReplyDelete
  24. these are soooo cute Bridget! and yes Im so over Summer or is it Hell?- cuz I cant tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are the happiest camper cookies I ever did see!
    Love the red curtains and the little red HEART on the door~
    Wishing you and Cheryl and I could pack up a cute camper like that and head out! ;)
    Hugs from Bainbridge my friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. these are too adorable!!

    just hopping around different blogs this morning, looking forward to more of your posts!!

    your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The moment I saw that camper on Pinterest I WANTED it. I love it so much! Those cookies are fab too. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are so cute! Man you much have such a steady hand!! I bow down to you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering when you will post the winner of the Kitchen Aid Mixer contest...

    BTW, these cookies are so CUTE! Great job!!!

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awe these are just adorably cute. How sweet is the heart door handle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not only do I want to eat all these campers but I want to live inside their sweetness too :) Adorable Bridget. You are so creative & you always make me smile too!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  32. these are adorable! I have a long way to go in practicing food presentation before I'll be able to submit one of these! :) awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love vintage VW campers - if I can't own one, at least I can make these cookies! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love fall 1000 times more than I love summer

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an adorable camper!!! PLEASE tell me you're renting that one in the picture next summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love, love, love. I've posted your link on the TrailerChix FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How cute are those cookies???? I write a cooking blog, too, and I am a full-time RV'er. If you would like, please visit me www.bakedlava.com I'd love to promote your blog to my readers, not that you need it...you have an awesome following, and I am now one of them, too. Great blog, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These look AMAZING. Great recipe. I might have my wife try this recipe.

    Keith
    Stoltzfus-Rec

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look AMAZING. Great recipe. I might have my wife try this recipe.

    Keith
    Stoltzfus-Rec

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover