Monday, November 29, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins, two ways

It's still November, so it's STILL pumpkin season, right?
I've confessed my love for pumpkin already...let me share with you two of my favorite muffins. One savory, one sweet.
These Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins come from the Baked Explorations cookbook.  I am IN.LOVE. with these muffins (I would happily eat all 12 in one sitting).  Even though they are listed in the breakfast section of the cookbook, they are wonderful with a cup of butternut squash soup or a bowl chili.

Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins
{adapted from Baked Explorations}

1 c. canned pumpkin
3 TBSP sour cream
2 eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, cooled and melted
2 c. flour
1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 & 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 & 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 & 1/4  c. grated sharp white cheddar

Preheat oven to 400.  Use a paper towel to lightly coat the insides of 12 muffin cups with vegetable oil.

Whisk together the pumpkin and sour cream.  Whisk in the eggs and cooled, melted butter until combined.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt, pepper and brown sugar.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients into the well and gently fold until combined.  Fold in 3/4ths of the cheese.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups.  Sprinkle tops with the remaining cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out the muffins to a cooling rack.  Serve warm.

{{*sigh*}}

Next up....the sweet.
These muffins can also be called "cake muffins."  They're SO easy and SO delicious.  Yes, they are made from a cake mix...and you know, a cake mix now and then comes in handy.

{And that pumpkin makes 'em healthy. Trust me, I'm a blogger.}

If you are one of the crazy pumpkin-haters (and I know you're out there), never fear, these don't taste like pumpkin, they taste like CAKE!

Vanilla Pumpkin Muffins

2 egg whites
1 box French Vanilla cake mix
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
sanding or sparkling sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly coat 15 or so baking liners with cooking spray or vegetable oil.  Place in a muffin tin.

Lightly beat the egg whites. Stir in the cake mix and the pumpkin.  Stir until combined.

Spoon into the prepared baking cups and top with a bit of sanding sugar for a little sparkle.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops bounce back when gently pressed.

Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.

How do you like your pumpkin?  Sweet or savory?

45 comments:

  1. Both muffins look delicious. The savory so warm and inviting and the sweet, oh so tempting.
    Love the idea of having the savory one with a bowl of soup. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Baked Explorations cookbook too. I'm hooked on their salty & sweet brownies and caramel apple cake. I'll have to try these pumpkin cheddar muffins next. Thanks for blogging about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try those savory ones! I just recently bought this cookbook, but somehow missed these?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bridget! How funny, we posted almost the same pumpkin recipe (sweet) with the cake mix, I cannot get enough of that one, it is a hit every year and everyone cannot believe it is made with a cake mix! I got the recipe 10 years ago when I did weight watchers and cannot love it enough. Great minds think alike ;)
    http://flourandsugarthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ME~
    Oh MY~
    These look so YUMMY!
    My pick....SAVORY!
    I know that cheese is good with the pumpkin!
    Why is it I adore EVERYTHING you make and bake!
    Guess that's cuz I ADORE YOU like I do!
    Hugs to you!
    And kisses too!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd like to try the savory one... Thanks for sharing the recipe, Bridget! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shut up!! I have never even heard of such a delectable combination!!! Cant wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same cookbook, Bridget! And the pumpkin-cheddar muffins certainly caught my eye when I read the entire thing cover to cover in one sitting. :) I tend to be a 'sweet' pumpkin fan rather than savory, but I think those muffins could change my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those both sound delicious. I will be trying those for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me encanta la calabaza en los muffins. Esta receta es distinta a la que preparo. La haré.
    Se ven maravillosos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm more of a sweet person so I would probably like the sweet pumpkin muffins better(: They look really good! And super easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are truly the Ying and Yang of pumpkin muffins :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of those look so tasty! I'm going to have to try the savory ones, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the savory version! I never would have thought to put pumpkin and cheddar together. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That second one is similar to the vanilla pumpkin cupcakes I made last year! We loved them and made them twice!....my niece made them for Thanksgiving this year! that's how much we all loved them!

    now I NEED to try the savory....I don't think I've ever eaten pumpkin that way!!

    YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, so tomorrow is the last day of November.. is it still okay in the baking world to make pumpkin things in December?? please say yes! I have to try these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Pumpkin muffins sound very good! I will definitely try these 2 recipes. Thank you for sharing recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad I am not the only one obsessed with pumpkin! thanks for the great recipes to try!

    hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ohh i always prefer sweets, but the pumpkin cheddar muffin sounds fantastic too! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have yet to venture into savory pumpkin territory... but recipes like this one really inspire me. Maybe, just maybe, I'll give them a go this week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two great pumpkin recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually like my pumpkin sweet....HOWEVER, those pumpkin muffins with the cheese look AMAZING!!

    I have that cookbook also, and am ashamed to say that I have yet to bake anything from it!! I think I need to stop BUYING cookbooks and start USING them!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am going to try those sweet muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, sweet my friend, coupled with the taste of orange or cheesecake! I love anything pumpkin. When my boys were babies I used to feed it to them right out of the can, organic of course!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd go for the sweet...I have an insatiable sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It would depend on my mood really, but right now they both look so good I'd like to make the sweet & the savoury!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. the pumpkin cheddar muffins are such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that is a savory pumpkin recipe! They look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Are you aware over 400 people have shared your blog on facebook???
    You need a "Bake at 350" page or group for those of us that don't have blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think pumpkin season lasts all winter~ RIGHT?!? I love pumpkin and these look delish~

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the idea having muffins with soup.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE pumpkin too...any time of year :) I'd have to say sweet but I do like savory pumpkin too! Great muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really want to try those savory pumpkin muffins! My hubby doesn't like any kind of winter squash, but he loves cheese. Maybe I can convert him...

    ReplyDelete
  34. sound delish!!
    I think my work blocks your photos though :( I'll have to check when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This muffins look delicious and the pics are awesome

    if u want a german receipt for that i got one for you :)

    http://obst-rezepte.com/rezept/Kuerbis-Muffins

    i like to take less sugar and more pumpkin

    cheers from cologne,
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is my first visit to your blog through the link from Simple Bites and am I ever glad I clicked on that link! Great looking recipes which I will definitely try. I just know I'll love that savory muffin and I agree that it's a good idea to keep a cake mix or two on hand. I store mine in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  37. If you like pumpkin... seriously head to my blog... I've been cooking with the stuff for two years now! Your cookies are lovely... just read about your weekend at PW! How fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh YUM! I can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look awesome. Can’t wait to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow, that looks absolutely awesome, love your presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is Awesome!goona try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I made the Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins for dinner tonight and all I can say is WOW! They are wonderful. The touch of cayenne is perfect. My husband LOVED them! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cheese always beats sweet! I've been experimenting with savory banana muffins, and was just thinking recently I should try experimenting with pumpkin too. I couldn't have run across this recipe at a better time!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awesome recipe for your pumpkins! can't wait for pumpkin season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover