Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet & Salty Brownies

Have you heard of Baked?  The bakery in New York and South Carolina?  Maybe you've heard of the Baked: New Frontiers in Baking cookbook.  Maybe just maybe, if you saw pumpkin whoopie pies on Martha Stewart or on a blog, like here, chances are the recipe was a version from the guys of Baked.

Baked's owners, Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, have a brand new, beautiful cookbook out now, called Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented.  I was lucky enough to be given a copy to drool over review. {Maybe you heard the squealing when I opened the box.}

The book itself is gorgeous, with lots of photos and original takes on classic recipes.  A sampling: Chocolate Mint Thumbprints, Peaches and Dream Pie, Pecan Tassies, Maple Cupcakes and Mississippi Mud Pie.

So far, we've tried Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins *faints* and these Sweet & Salty Brownies.

If you like the sweet and salty combo, prepare yourselves.  This is a fudgy, rich, chocolatey, perfectly crackly-topped brownie with a layer of salted caramel sauce sprinkled with coarse sugar and salt.  Ready for the recipe?

Sweet & Salty Brownie
{from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented}

Caramel:
1 c. sugar
2 TBSP light corn syrup
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp fleur de sel *(see note)
1/4 c. sour cream

Brownie:
1 and 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 TBSP dark cocoa powder
11 oz. quality dark chocolate (60-72%), coarsely chopped
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 & 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1 and 1/2 tsp fleur de sel *(see note)
1 tsp coarse sugar


Make the Caramel:
In a medium sauce pan, combine the sugar and corn syrup with 1/4 c. water, stirring together carefully so you don't splash the sides of the pan.  Cook over high heat, until a thermometer reads 350 degrees and is dark amber in color.
{Working with a thermometer always makes me a little nervous. And, please pardon the Dickey's BBQ cup in the background.}

Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream (it will bubble up).  Then add the fleur de sel.  Whisk in the sour cream.  Set aside to cool.

Make the Brownie:
Preheat oven to 350.  Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 x 13" pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper.  Butter the parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt and cocoa powder.

Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water.
{Doesn't this sight just make you happy?}

Stir occasionally until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and combined. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water.  Whisk in both sugars until completely combined.  Removed bowl from pan.

Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.  Add the remaining eggs and whisk until just combined.  Add the vanilla and stir until incorporated.  Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.

Add the flour mixture.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until there is just a trace of the flour mixture remaining.

Assemble:
Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.  Drizzle and 3/4 cup of the caramel sauce (not all of it) over the batter, trying to stay away from the edges. Gently spread the caramel sauce evenly.  In heaping spoonfuls, scoop the remaining batter over the caramel layer. Smooth the brownie batter gently over the caramel.

Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.  Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Remove the brownies from the oven and sprinkle with the fleur de sel and the coarse sugar.

Cool completely before serving.  (We thought these were even better the NEXT day.)

*Note: I had a tiny bit of fleur de sel in my pantry from the bulk section of a gourmet store. MY grocery store wanted *gulp* $14.95 for a small jar. Sooo, I mixed my remaining 1/2 tsp with enough freshly ground sea salt to make up the difference. Seemed to work just fine. :)

Now...what to make from Baked next?!?

75 comments:

  1. Sweet and salty brownies...just the name will make me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AHH-MAZING!!! I need to make these soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, could you please tell me which brand of candy thermometer you use. I love that it has all the sugar stages printed alongside the temperature. Very handy.
    The brownies look great. I think you sold me the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine that these are every bit as good as they look! Thanks for sharing...I need to get this cookbook soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! One question: what do you do with the remaining caramel, since you specify not to use all of it? Save it for something else, add it later...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waws wondering the same thing.. I am baking them now.. I used my wisk to drizzle over the 2nd layer of brownie mix & then ran a knife through like you would if you were marbeling a cake.. Ill let you know how it turns out !

      Delete
  6. I've only really thought of brownies of only being sweet, but this looks amazing! And the caramel makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salty and sweet, now that makes my mouth water. Add the chocolate and caramel factors and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look divine...this could literally be the best combination ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, those sound DELISH!! I've never thought of that combo for brownies before but it really sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos, plus the ingredient list, had me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the combination of salt and chocolate. And I've been pondering what to take for our church picnic. These will be gone in a nano second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look oh soo good. I love Baked! Reallly wish I had this book :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo with the Dickey's BBQ cup - it's like you meant to put it there in the photo - yellow cup on the yellow side of the thermometer and red pot on the red side of the thermometer. Accidentally Brilliant! I'm loving University of Cookie btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Bridget these look DELICIOUS!! and that book sounds AH-Mazing!!! I must look for it!!

    and look at those fantastic brownie pictures!!! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow! this reminds me of Baked's sweet and salty cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So this is what was happening when you tweeted *butter and caramel* melting on the stove! What a great looking brownie and a delicious review of Baked Explorations. Looking forward to whatever you try next from their book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm loving the sweet and salty desserts lately, these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture, Briget!!

    I love Baked, I have both their cookbooks and they are just beautiful. I am just dying to go to their bakery in Brooklyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We were lucky enough to get to sample the sweet and salt brownies at a baking demo we went to hosted by the Baked Boys (recap here: http://www.990square.com/2010/10/sweet-sundays-with-the-baked-boys/) and I thought they were to die for! Absolutely fantastic! and dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is nothing on this earth that I love more than *sweet & salty* It should be my name, "Sweet Salty" or maybe the other way around?! (giggle) :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chocolate and salt are a combination that make me swoon. These brownies are swoonable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look great, Bridget! I'm headed to NYC in a few weeks, maybe I'll check out Baked!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow I have to get this book and I have to bake these brownies. Chocolate sweet & salty is heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My Swiss mother-in-law would die for these....
    Maybe I should make these for her and earn some brownie points (yes, lame pun intended). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog should come with a little cloth rag so we can clean the drool from our keyboards....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just saw this book as a was strolling around Barns the other day, I think I might just have to go back and pick one up! These brownies look like they are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait to try these Bridget! I love the sweet and salty combo. It's proof that opposites do attract. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. that's looks soooo good.... and everything from Baked first cookbook is so delish that I can't wait to purchase this second one! AMAZING! thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. BAKED is my absolutely hands down FAVORITE bakery ever!!! Love it. Only get to go to the Charleston store.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my goodness, how bad do I want a brownie right now! Wonderful post. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok NOT nice~ these look amazing to a girl on a diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was just contemplating that book the other day... Now I'm wishing I had picked it up. Loving the salty and sweet brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sweet and salty are the perfect combination, throw chocolate in and you've got me hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. These brownies have got to be crazy great. That salted gooey caramel in the middle - oh my! The book sounds fab, must grab a copy to drool over too...xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. sweet and salty is such a great combo, and the chocolate, oh my, you made my mouth water

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have their first book and just loved it- waiting to come to the States to get this new one! Thanks for the recipe- I love a sweet and salty combo!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those brownies look awesome, and so does that book! Yummm

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh, those brownies look to die for!! Going on my to-make list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  39. We have a new place in our town called "Baked!" that I haven't checked out. I doubt they are related but now you're given me more reason to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have seen the "Baked Brownie" everywhere, but not these! These look AMAZING! I love the sweet & salty combination! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. If you love the sweet/salty chocolate combo, you must try Fran's grey and smoked salt chocolate-covered caramels - if you haven't already. You can get them at Sur La Table stores. They are TO DIE FOR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These look delicious! Beautiful pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I LOVE salt, so I'm definitely going to try those brownies. Also, your photography is so beautiful it makes the food look twice as good!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I never tried the sweet & salty brownies... must be a really interesting taste!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Bridget!!!!!! Awesome combo, sweet and salty. I've been eyeing this book and I think it's about time to get it. Love your stuff...been a fan since day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the whole sweet-and-salty thing, and I actually have Fleur de sel. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  47. My favorite PMS food combo ~ salty and sweet! Bless you! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've had these at Baked in Brooklyn and they are superb. A must-make.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have this recipe flagged in my book (along with many many others). It's amazing as are your brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I saw this book at Borders yesterday and was flipping through it. These brownies looks mighty delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I was just in Borders yesterday drooling over this book!
    These brownies have just convinced me to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh. My. Goodness. This looks incredibly delicious! I adore anything chocolate with salted caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Holy freakin' cow is about the only thing I can think to say. Wow, wow, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  54. do you put the salt on before or after you put the brownies in the oven? does it matter?

    http://foldedvictory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sounds delish!! I will try the recipe this friday and could not wait to taste the sweet and salty brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This sounds so so good... Is 350F the right temperature for the caramel? Was thinking it seemed awfully high.

    ReplyDelete
  57. nice combination!sweet and salty, looks very deli!

    ReplyDelete
  58. If you cook the caramel to 350 isn't it going to be hard hard hard?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover