Friday, October 30, 2009

Flavor-of-the-Month. . . .Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


It's pumpkin season...better known as "the most wonderful time of the year." I ♥ pumpkin-y treats and can't wait to see what you all have come up with.

I decided to make something that's been on my "must make" list for a few years now...Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. Actually, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Vanilla Bean-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling. Oh, yeah.

Guys...my house smelled SO incredibly delicious when these babies were baking. I almost called my neighbor to come over and smell my house, but I thought I might come off as a little wacky. Sooooo, I called my sister and described the smell to her over the phone (she already knows I'm wacky).

My point is, even if you don't care for pumpkin, make these and just SMELL!

How do they taste? Ummm...delicious. Have you ever eaten a yummy Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin? They are similar but 1,000 times better.

Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
{adapted from Martha Stewart & Baked cookbook}
  • 3 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground cloves
  • 2 c packed dark-brown sugar
  • 1 c vegetable oil
  • 3 c pumpkin puree, chilled
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside. {The measurements for the spices look like TOO MUCH ...they are correct.}


In another large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and oil until well combined. Add the chilled pumpkin puree and whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined.

Add the flour mixture over pumpkin mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.


Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism (about 1/8 cup if you don't have one...mine doesn't have a release mechanism), drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. (I got approx. 40 "cookies" to make 20 total pies.)

Transfer to oven and bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of each cookie comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.



Vanilla Bean Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling
{doesn't vanilla bean paste make everything better?}
  • 3 c powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add the cream cheese and beat until well combined. Add powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste and cinnamon; beat until smooth.



To assemble the whoopie pies: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Transfer filling to a disposable pastry bag and fit with a large round tip or snip the end.

When the cookies have cooled completely, pipe a large dollop of filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, pressing down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edge of the cookies. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.

Refrigerate cookies at least 30 minutes before serving and up to 3 days.


One issue is that they must be refrigerated or they are way too messy to eat. After a day or two, the bottoms do get a little squishy. My friend, Paulie, suggested coating the pies in a glaze...like a Krispy Kreme donut. Any way to incorporate more sugar into a recipe sounds good to me. {Paulie is a very, very smart man!} If someone figures out how to do it, let me know! :)


Next month...Flavor-of-the-Month November theme will be.....
Traditions!
Share a recipe from your mom, dad, grandmother, mother-in-law or even a recipe that you'd like to start as a family tradition.

{As always, anyone is welcome to link to Flavor-of-the-Month; you don't have to ask. Click here to read through all of the previous posts for instructions.}

Ok, ready to link up? I'll keep the linky open through November 2nd, then close it to avoid spammers. Thanks for participating!!!

49 comments:

  1. OH WOW!!! AS if I need ANOTHER pumpkin recipe! LOL but I hear these calling my name....do you hear them?....oh TidyMom....SEE did you hear THAT? LOL

    Thanks Bridget!!
    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally made pumpkin mousse for this but won't have it up in time! Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. I have never made pumpkin whoopie pies even though I see them everywhere! Now I'm off to post my pumpkin recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ve never been a fan of whoopie pies but these are tempting me like mad. think I m gonna try these. I love the smell when baking spicy things. it s so nice : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness!
    Those Pumpkin Whoopie Pies look soooo to die for! And...oh so cute! I know what you mean about your kitchen smelling soooo delicious! As soon as I popped those spice jars open...the HOLIDAY season began!
    Delighted to celebrate with
    Flavor of the Month!
    Thanks Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. deliziosi questi biscotti...ottimi per colazione!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo yum! Those look amazing! This goes on my must make list

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not that I need anymore pumpkin recipes, but I HAVE GOT TO MAKE THESE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually tasted these, y'all! Holy Moly. Delicious doesn't even begin to describe them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my yum!!! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum and super yum! i'm totally making these for our town's pumpkin bake off next friday night. but where might i find vanilla bean paste? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer...try Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table & King Arthur. All carry it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious! That vanilla bean cream cheese frosting in the center pushed these over the top for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer, I recently won a blog giveaway for an organic vanilla bean paste from singing dog vanilla. You can find their product here. http://www.kestrelgrowth.com/Singing-Dog-Vanilla/index.php It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wanting to make woopie pies for some time now. These sound great with the cream cheese filling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm scared to make macarons but I'm brave to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM! I could smell cinnamon just reading your post and viewing the photos. Perfectly executed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. On my! These just went to the top of my must bake list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look and sound incredible!!! I think I'll make them tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now I can eat pumpkin all year round. Every recipe looks great. Glad you selected pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. these were so good! Like your picture of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delish~I can almost smell it through the computer screen :) I love this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read your post, got up, and walked into my kitchen to make these. All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS! They were so moist and delicious that words actually escaped me! Thank you so much for posting the recipe to share with all of us. Is there such a thing as "death by whoopie pie?" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look great Bridget! These pumpkin cookies are my son's favorite. I've never done the filling with vanilla bean paste, just simple cream cheese frosting. I'll have to try this. Hope you're getting some traffic from the OC Register article. I'm so glad they printed my favorite blog's list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bridget-I just posted some pics of cookies that I made for my daughter's birthday. I also gave you a "shout-out" too. My daughter saw the cookies on your blog header and asked that I duplicate them for her. She LOVED them. Hope you can check out the post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. mmmm I can just imagine the aroma now - drrooool

    ReplyDelete
  27. Finally, I have time to comment! This weekend was so busy. Anyway I LOVE these! And vanilla bean cream cheese filling, yum!!

    Can't wait for next month's FOTM! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. YUMMY!!!! I cannot wait to try vanilla bean cinnamon frosting.. that sounds out of this world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog and Flavor of the Month! What a great idea--I'm hoping to participate this month. I know I'm late, but I actually did post a pumpking recipe on the second to last day of the month--you can see it here http://www.990square.com/2009/10/pumpkin-pie-bites/. Can't wait to participate next month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everything looks great! Good job everyone:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have yet to make these but they seem to pop up everywhere each year around now... they look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are so awesome. I am always looking for different pumpkin recipes! I had 20 + pie pumpkins on my counter for the last few weeks. So now that I am down to 2 pumpkins... I have run out of pumpkin recipes. Thanks! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yeah, but this recipe is definitely a keeper. I like how you incorporate the vanilla beans, I think it's a perfect add on. Thanks for the recipe again, definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh. My. Gosh. You are KILLING me with these whoopie pies! I was going to make pumpkin pancakes tomorrow, but I think I'll make these instead! How do you think they'd be for breakfast? Just kidding! (sorta)

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for the tip for the vanilla bean paste! i may have missed this somewhere along the way,but how many whoopie pies will this make? thanks! i'll let you know how it goes tommorow night!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jennie...they WERE delicious for breakfast! ;)

    Jennifer...I forgot to mention that. It made 20 for me. I'll update the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. these are the most wonderful pumpkin dessert i think i've ever had! and i just wanted to let you know that i WON our town's pumpkin bake off with this recipe! you can read more about it here. thanks for the great recipes!

    http://caplingerfamily.blogspot.com/2009/11/if-at-first-you-dont-suceed-try-try.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jennifer...that is so cool! Whoopie!!! I just tweeted about your success...hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great photo of the Whoopie Pies! I made them too, but my photos weren't as cool!

    ReplyDelete
  40. If I keep looking at your recipes I am going to gain 20 pounds. They look so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I really feel hungry!

    Cheers,

    Carsten
    tasteandshare.com
    food social network * wine social network

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh... I can see that discovering you is going to be dangerous to my waistline! LOL These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  43. These sound great. Going to try this weekend. Since the bottoms get squishy after a day, you might try a thin layer of butter on the "pie" before adding the filling. That is done on tea sandwiches so they don't become squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is now on my to-do list, and I won't wait long to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  45. We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.

    -----------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my!isn't that heaven on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is our family tradition. We are a family from Maine now in Florida. We make pumpkin whoopie pies and also chocolate with peanut butter filling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover