Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day Cupcakes


I'm not sure you can call these mock Hostess Cupcakes because they're not chocolate and they're not covered in ganache and they're PINK, but that was the inspiration. PINK Hostess (Faux-stess?) Cupcakes for mom.


If you've ever wanted to play around with homemade fondant, this is a really easy little starter. (It was my first time working with it.)

I posted the recipe and how-to this morning; you can find it here. What does homemade fondant taste like? What came to my mind was "a pillow of sugar." It's good.


Here's how to make them:

Make the fondant the day before.

The recipe I used for yellow cupcakes turned out a little too brown, SO use your favorite yellow, white or butter cupcake recipe. You will not offend me if you use a cake mix. You're going to be making fondant, filling and icing for the top. Cake mix may be the way to go. :)


Minis or full size...I made a few of each. Let cool completely.
{darling mini baking cups from here.}

Make the Filling:

4 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 TBSP heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow creme

Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition. Beat in the marshmallow creme. It is easier to work with if it's refrigerated for about 30 minutes before using.

Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with a star tip (I used #21 for regular cupcakes and a #16 for the minis). Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill until the cupcake is heavier. Spread a little extra filling the top of each cupcake to help the fondant stick.

Apply the Fondant:


Roll out the fondant on a cornstarch dusted surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters and apply to the cupcakes.


(On the large cupcakes, I should have gone a size larger with the cookie cutters, I think.) Set aside.

Make the Icing:

1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 - 3 tablespoons milk
1
cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla

Using a mixer, beat the butter, vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spoon into a pastry bag with a small tip (I used a #2 plain tip) pipe onto the cupcakes to decorate.

Store in the refrigerator.


Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! Have a wonderful day on Sunday!!!

35 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!! Now if only I was not too afraid to "experiment" with fondant. I'll just oogle them from afar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are darling...Good job for your first time with fondant. At least you had the courage to go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable! and love the 'faux-stess' sentiment! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok those are just tooo cute! I have never tried fondant-im sure its a pure sugar rush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! i'm really impressed :) any mom would love these i'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! Love marshmellow fondant! So much tastier than the "other" stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a super job Bridget. The cupcakes are too cute with the fluted fondant. Read your earlier post on your fondant recipe and when I figure out what to decorate with it I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing and Happy Mother's Day to you as well. Hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cupcakes! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUPER.CUTE!! Pink is my favorite color :).... I've always wanted to try fondant too...you've given me courage, and thanks for giving the okay on a box mix :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great.
    I made fondant covered cookies last month here's the link if you want to see them :)
    http://createdbydiane.blogspot.com/2010/04/marshmallow-fondant.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! These are adorable! I wish I wasn't at school so I could make these for my mom tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to try homemade fondant. Thanks for sharing!
    The cupcakes are super cute!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Bridget! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are super cute Bridget! I love the look of fondant cupcakes, but don't really like the taste of fondant, even the marshmallow version. I think it's a texture thing too. Love how you added a filling to these to give it the creaminess! Have a fabulous Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent job with the fondant Bridget, the cupcakes look so lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very nice idea! Very adorable cupcakes! I wish I can rush things tomorrow to make something like this for my mother.
    kitchen tables

    ReplyDelete
  17. I gave you a bloggy award! Stop by and pick it up here: http://www.jennifersikora.com/2010/05/sunshine.html

    Thanks!

    Jennifer Sikora

    ReplyDelete
  18. These turned out WONDERFUL!!!

    Happy Mother's Day to you too Bridget!! Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I took a fondant class months ago and they said to use powdered sugar for rolling but I've seen many people use cornstarch. Any ideas on the differing opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are BEAUTIFUL! Any mother would be lucky to receive one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are gorgeous! My mum would love them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are amazing looking cupcakes! Looks like you did an excellent job with the fondant. What mom wouldn't love them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You always have the cutest ideas! I wish we lived closer to each other. You're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cute, I need to try making fondant in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are absolutely adorable! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are precious! Love the pink fondant!

    ReplyDelete
  27. you forgot Mum! hehe these are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your take on these! Such an easy alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super cute, love the fondant cupcake toppers! Hope you had a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. O-MY-Goodness-Gracious!
    I do believe I have passed on from Bainbridge Island straight to CUPCAKE HEAVEN!
    When I popped over here...
    I just kept staring at the computer screen...
    at that cupcake...
    and I wanted to dive onto it...
    and love on it...
    and say "you are the sweetest little cupcake I've ever wanted to bite into!"
    I mean I love the looks of that cupcake!
    Then I went on to read....
    NO WONDER I like the looks of THAT pink cupcake!
    When I discovered that was FONDANT!!!!!
    OMG....FONDANT on top of that cupcake....I was like GLORY BE to BRIDGET BABY!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fondant!
    Fondant is like a fantasy for me!
    If I knew how to make and roll out....and decorate a cake with FONDANT...I would be my very best ME!
    Bridget + FONDANT = HEAVEN! yeah!
    Can't wait to take a peek at how you MADE your very own FONDANT!
    Oh how I want to take a bit of one of those cupcakes!
    It may be because I am detoxing/fasting today....YUK!....but I am quite sure it is because I see PINK FONDANT!
    MY FAVORITE! xxooxoxoxoxo
    Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day Sweet Bridget!
    And I am THRILLED beyond words that you and Cheryl are meeting this summer!
    HOW FUN IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah!
    xxoxoxoxox
    Next summer it's BAINBRIDGE ISLAND all the way....got it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You rock. THESE rock. They are SO beautiful! They could be your signature item... so original and pretty... but wait. You make EVERYTHING SO pretty!!!


    *someday* i want to be like you. :)

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover