Homemade Fondant ! ! !

Don't you love those beautifully decorated SMOOTH cakes? I've always loved them. Even before I really started baking and knew what the icing was called.

Fondant has a reputation of being, shall we say, less than delicious? About 14 years ago, when I presented our wedding cake maker with my torn out picture from probably one of the first Martha Stewart Weddings, she said...."you know, that's fondant?" I really had no clue what she was driving at, so I think I probably nodded and asked for another sample.
{That's my husband, but I have no idea who that tan, thin girl is!}

I decided to bite the bullet and try making my own. I found links on how to make it from The Decorated Cookie, i am baker and Gourmet Mom on-the-Go. It's pretty easy and MUCH cheaper than pre-made!

16 oz. bag mini marshmallows
3 TBSP water
2 lbs. powdered sugar
Crisco

Grease a large glass bowl with Crisco.

Pour in the marshmallows and water in the bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.

Reserve about 1/4 c. powdered sugar. Place the rest of the powdered sugar in the large bowl of a standing mixer. Grease the paddle attachment with Crisco. Pour the melted marshmallows onto the powdered sugar.

Beat until a dough forms. There will be lots of loose bits and sugar in the bottom of the bowl.

Grease a clean work surface with Crisco and dump out the fondant and all loose bits. Grease hands liberally with Crisco and knead the mixture together, just like kneading bread, for about 5 minutes until smooth.

Grease hands again as needed. As the fondant becomes smoother, use the reserved powdered sugar to coat the surface to keep it from sticking.

Once smooth, you can divide and color the fondant. While working with one piece, cover the remaining fondant with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

When you have your colors finished, or just keep it all white, coat the fondant in a light layer of Crisco. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a large baggie. (One recipe said to let it rest 10 minutes, another overnight. I let mine rest overnight.) Store at room temperature for several months.

To use it, dust the surface and rolling pin with cornstarch and roll to 1/8th of an inch.

I'm really new to fondant. There are a million things you can do with it....top cookies, cupcakes, cakes. Make bows and toppers and shapes....


homemade fondant
Later today, I'll show you what I did (super simple) with my fondant for Mother's Day.


SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig