Monday, March 15, 2010

I-rish I had time to make some St. Patrick's Day cookies


{Keep scrolling down for some oldies but goodies in the St. Patrick's Day Cookies department.}

Please tell me it happens to you, too. You have a million, ok...three, ideas for cute holiday goodies to make and you just run.out.of.time.

It's happened to me. I have pickle & ice cream cookies drying in the kitchen and not one little shamrock to be found.

{Oh, I did I ever scare some people on twitter today when I tweeted that I was making Pickle & Ice Cream cookies! I got a few "you're making WHAT?" tweets back. That was fun. Shaped, not flavored cookies! }

So...here's an Irish Soda Bread recipe that you can whip up in less than 2 hours, start to finish. No rise time, no kneading....mix it and bake it. I make it every St. Patrick's Day.


Irish Soda Bread
{modified from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook}

4 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP caraway seeds
4 TBSP unsalted butter, cold
1 c. dark raisins
1 c. golden raisins
1 & 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg yolk
1 TBSP milk or cream

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and caraway seeds.



Cut the butter into about 8 pieces. Using a pasty cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.


Stir in the raisins.
{Let me add....I am not a raisin lover, but I love this bread!}

In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg and baking soda until well combined. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour and stir with a fork until all the liquid is absorbed and the dough holds together.


On the prepared pan, press the dough into a dome-shaped loaf of about 8 inches.


With a fork, whisk together the egg yolk and milk or cream. Brush onto the dough with a pastry brush. With a sharp knife, make an x-shaped slash in the top of the bread.

Bake about 70 minutes, tenting with foil after about 50 minutes if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.



Alright...ready for some St. Patrick's Day cookie ideas?

From last year....sparkly shamrocks and pots o' gold:



{This is the post where I go on and on about how I wasn't to add a Mc to our last name. I'm not closer to that dream this year....but I'm not.giving.up.}

Next, Beer cookies:

{How can there be a St. Paddy's Day celebration without beer? Even if it is in the form of decorated cookies?}

And, Shamrocks with heart:

{Actually, these were for a friend's anniversary. Hi Terri & Pat! They had a St. Patrick's wedding.♥ I took the picture years ago when I thought one picture was enough and I then cropped & resized the heck out of it. I'm over that now.}

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

28 comments:

  1. Love all your cookies! I'm still trying to beat the clock too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it happens to me as well! There is never enough time to bake all the goodies that I dream up. All of your cookies are beautiful, and the bread sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making my treats tomorrow. Your cookies look so beautiful. Your bread sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your cookies and I love the pickles and ice cream scare..very cute!Irish soda bread is a favorite in my house and I make it every year and fear I will run out of time---every year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorites are the little mugs! I love how the foam on top is so...so...I don't even know what. It's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the beer cookies! Those cookies all look so thick and sugary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so cute. Have missed you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how that goes...too busy with orders to make any cookies for school, family or friends..but I am not complaining!! Love your beer cookies..so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the beer! I bought a pot cutter this year to specifically make pots of gold and seriously, it hasn't happened. Guess it's now or never, but I'm thinking more on the never...or next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used your recipe and made shamrock cookies this weekend, for a basketball tourney. Our team is the Shamrocks!
    I still can't get the hang of royal icing! ugh I used my buttercream type and put on clear edible glitter from King Arthur flour!
    Everyone raved about them. Thanks!
    tia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore all your cookie ideas - so clean, creative and fun. The pickle and ice cream cookies are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That SOOOO happens to me about the ideas and not getting them done... thats why I have to start early! ;)

    Love those cookies..perfection as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, that had to be hilarious...everyone asking you about a bun in the oven. Hee-hee!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved those cookies!!! I-rish I was getting some this year for my anniversary...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok now I am officially craving for any possible Saint Patrick cookie. I will have to make some today. Which one to choose? Hmmm? I want to try them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Bridget!
    I know that Irish Soda Bread is some kind of YUMMMMMY!
    And it looks so easy!
    That pastry cutter brings back loads of fond memories of my mom in the kitchen when we were growing up!
    She was always standing in her little floral dress...
    cute little sandals...
    vintage mixing bowl...
    using that PASTRY CUTTER!
    Seems like she used it on everything!!!! ;o)
    Love the Shamrock cookies too!
    But love you MORE! xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I RISH I could make cookies like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE THE BEER COOKIES :) yum cookies and beer~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made Irish soda bread before - your recipe looks easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cookies look so beautiful. Your bread sounds great.
    home jobs india

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum!! that bread looks SO good! I don't think I've ever had Irish Soda Bread.....but it looks like something I would LOVE!!

    Cookies are cute as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are the cutest thing ever. Who knew beer could be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the shamrocks!!!

    I always make Irish Soda bread too, although I have never done caraway and raisins together. I think I'll give that a try tomorrow...thanks for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Bridget, I love the beer cookies, they are adorable. The bread looks yummy also, I am just the worst bread maker.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun! I love the shamrock cookies. I totally missed the boat on St Patty's day this year... Maybe by next year I'll be caught up. I doubt it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover