Saturday, March 1, 2008

Happy March!

Here's an easy little cookie for St. Patrick's Day...

  1. Pipe the outline of a shamrock in white icing, using a #2 tip.
  2. In the center of the cookie, pipe an outline of a heart in red, using a #2 tip. (AmeriColor Super Red)
  3. Thin red and green icing to the consistency of syrup and let sit covered with a damp dishtowel for several minutes. Run a rubber spatula through the icing to pop any air bubbles that have formed on top.
  4. Fill in outlined shamrock in green using a toothpick to guide into corners. Use a squeeze bottle for easy filling. (Spectrum Leaf Green)
  5. Fill in heart with thinned red icing following method above.

***a note on green icing: a deep green like these shamrocks is susceptible to humidity. Sometimes, the icing will get a blotchy look and turn slightly darker. Not to worry, eventually the entire cookie will darken to an even shade. Although red and blue will do this as well, I find it happens most with green icing. Just try to keep the cookies in a non-humid environment and never put in the refrigerator.***

11 comments:

  1. I love these. So cute! I might need to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

    I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
    or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

    Hope to see you soon

    Thanks

    Jeena x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple they're perfect! I really love them. I have the same problem with green, but it's funny, I've never thought about the fact that's it's the green that does it the worst. I noticed it on my evergreen tree cutouts and the piped wreath I put on my gingerbread house this past December.

    So, what types of bags do you use to wrap the cookies?? I'm terrible at presentation, and always skip bagging. It makes such a huge difference though, it really shows on your photos!

    Will you come over and make cookies with me? It's only like a 20 hour drive or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it's Joy, Ms. Flamingo. :) Those cookies look so good! I'll take one! Pass it on over. hahahaa

    I did baking this weekend! Chocolate cupcakes. They were alright. lol

    I'm enjoying looking around your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys! :)

    Angie...sure, I'll be right over! Here's a link to the bags that I buy. http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_107.asp?desc=Uline+2+Mil+Industrial+Poly+Bags
    They come in about any size you could want. WalMart has clear bags in their party section also, if you don't want to buy 1,000 at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, Bridget dear!

    Do you use the 3X5 size? That seems about right in my mind's eye.

    I've bought them at WalMart, but you only get 20, which isn't nearly enough when you're bagging cookies for 3 children to take to class parties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie...I normally buy the 6 x 9 size. I know it sounds crazy, but some of my cutters are 5 and a half inches or so and sometimes I have to package them sideways. I think I might try the 6 x 8 next...those looked like they were on special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely biscuits! my irish in-laws will be very pleased with these! cheers from london

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m planning the St. Patrick’s Day party for my daughter’s class. I can’t wait to make these..they will be a hit with the kids! I found some cello candy bags from Box and Wrap that have shamrocks on the bags….so cute. It’s the extra special touches that make the party great. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover