Friday, February 19, 2010

New York, part 2 . . . and a *secret* about Kelly Ripa !


I wouldn't say I'm lucky, but I have won a few things in my life...


  • When I was 6, I won a coloring contest at our local Baskin-Robbins. The prize? 31 FREE scoops of ice cream!!! Is there anything more exciting than free ice cream to a 6-year-old (or a 40-year-old, for that matter)?
  • As a sophomore in high school, I won tickets from a radio station to the Cyndi Lauper concert. Second row from the top of the auditorium, total nosebleed seats, but I WON!!!

    {Unfortunately, I bought SHE BOP earrings at the concert and wore them....to school! Do you know that "she bop" doesn't have anything to do with dancing? Yeah, me neither...until the *dreamy* senior who sat behind me in Spanish class filled me in. I still wasn't *quite sure* what he was talking about, but I knew it was bad. Google it.}
  • And, then, Foodbuzz sent out an email asking if any of its featured publishers would like to apply to go to Kelly's Cake Off. I applied hoping I'd get lucky (and not in the She Bop way) and be chosen. I was!!! Yay!
Thanks to you and Electrolux, these cakes have raised over $20,000 for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. You know all about that, though. Let me show you a little bit more of the trip...

First, I got to meet 14 fabulous food bloggers!!! (You can see a list here.)


{Here I am with the brilliant Jessie of CakeSpy.}


Before the festivities even started, Jen of My Kitchen Addiction & I met with Gail of the ultra-amazing One Tough Cookie. (Go, see for yourself. She's a cookie genius!) Gail treated us to cappuccinos at Pastis and I felt very hip & New York.

Then, we all went to the Gastropub (I'm not sure what that means, but trust me, it's good) The Spotted Pig. We were ushered to a private kitchen and given a cooking demo (& dinner) by Chef April Bloomfield.


You guys...it was phenomenal.

{It was my very first time to eat duck and I'm looking at those duckies in the pond down the street in a whole new light.}


After that, we headed up to the rooftop bar at our hotel for a drink and a gift exchange with the other bloggers.

That morning, we were up at the crack of dawn to go to a taping of Live! with Regis & Kelly. Here's what I loved:
  1. a car service....seriously, being picked up and driven around town is something I could get used to,
  2. Kelly & Regis came over and talked to the audience between segments. I was most impressed by that.
  3. Regis threw candy into the audience. I didn't get any, but I still love Regis for it.


Here's the secret about Kelly Ripa.....ready?

She....
....
....
....
....
....
EATS! Really! She does! Between segments, she ate right from a bag of All-Bran cereal...and joked that she might have to make a quick exit...AND before the cooking segment, she snacked on the nuts and chocolate. (I know you all are probably as shocked as I was.)


Oh, and she's tee-nine-y! (That's tiny.) I thought about sticking her in my purse and bringing her home to Texas. Look at me, y'all, in that picture. I'm freaking Julia Child towering over everyone. I'm even hunching.

Then, it was time for the Cake Off. You all know about that (or if you don't, click here).

I just have to add how nice everyone was to us...the people from Electrolux and Foodbuzz and the PR people handling the event. Kelly Ripa was beautiful and fun and really quick-witted!


{Did I mention the swag?!?!?}


Buddy, Frankie, Remy and the gang from Cake Boss were so fabulous! They were *the sweetest* guys and stayed as long as we needed to help with the cakes, sign autographs, take pictures...and then they had to CLEAN up all of the cake paraphernalia. Oh, and Buddy's cakes taste every bit as delicious as they look!

Overall, I was lucky! It was a fabulous trip, for a great cause, and I feel blessed to have been a part of it.
vote for me

Today is the LAST DAY (2-19) to vote on a cake. Remember, for every vote, Electrolux donates $1 to the OCRF. What an easy way to make a difference. (And you can still send a virtual cake through March.)



Thank you, thank you for supporting this cause (and me)! ♥


My participation with Kelly's Cake Off for a Cause was sponsored by Electrolux and Foodbuzz who provided me with travel arrangements to and accommodations in New York to participate.

45 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are lucky!
    We all get the read the interesting details of a wonderful experience!
    Now you have me wondering, how tall are you? I voted again for your cake... I really do LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just voted again also! The trip looked great. I tivo Regis and Kelly every day and the best part of the show is the host chat at the beginning. Kelly is very quit witted and fun to watch.

    Love your shamrock cookies, btw! You are so ahead of the game thinking March 17 already...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voted today! Thanks for the cool post. It looks like you had a blast in New York. Good to know that Kelly eats. Did you ask her how she got her ARMS to look so buff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww......GREAT POST, Bridget! So glad you had a great time, and thank you very much for the shout-out! Your "Take a Bow" cookies are a precious reminder of the cake you & your team made for a most worthy cause.

    I have to admit, I had NO idea about 'she bop'. None. Never even knew it had any meaning. Color me red!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in LOVE with those COOKIES, Bridget!! The cake is awesome... Oh, and for you to feel better about towering everyone: last year I realized my MIL is getting shorter when we attended my nephew's wedding and I greeted her... she was my height
    (5'1") and she used to be 5'9"! And my mean BIL told me he always knew my children will need to hang me from a key chain when I'm old, so that I don't get lost...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to read this post & so happy that you had fun!
    & most of all...your trip was for a wonderful cause...i have voted for "take a bow" each & every day & you & your team are blessed!

    keep the great posts a comin' & all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i bet you're still pinching yourself to see if that trip to NYC was real!

    it looks like y'all had a fantastic time! and for such a great cause!!!
    (my aunt passed away from ovarian cancer)

    your TY cookies are the best! all your cookies are the best! you are SO creative and talented!

    i'm going to have to google "she bop"...i have an idea, but!

    you rock, GF!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cookies are so adorable!! (And, I am now scared because I know the ones I decorate to give away won't look half as good!!) Loved reading your post because I felt exactly the same way! I thought it was so funny that Kelly ate as much as she did - and she was chowing down on the chocolate fondant at the event, too! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG this is so cool! I'm so glad you are blogging about this...I love Cake Boss and Buddy seemed so awesome during the tweet up he did earlier this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank YOU for sharing all this with us. You ARE lucky! And talented! And smart and beautiful...... And FUN!
    Now I need to go vote:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! I also won a contest in Baskin-Robbins was one of their tubs of ice cream. I had to pick one flavor and that tub was mine. They cut it in half for us since it wouldn't fit in our freezer at home. I tell you, after eating a TUB of Pralines and Cream you'll never eat it again. 20-some-odd years later I still haven't. Hehe.

    I tried to go to Cake Boss just the other day and the line literally wrapped around the block, so we left.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it weird that I totally have tears in my eyes? I am *so* proud of you! And honestly, Bridget, you may be lucky, but mostly, you are TALENTED!! And so sweet. And TALENTED! :) What a wonderful and fun experience for a wonderful and fun girl!!

    Yeah you!! Love it.

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing all your fun!!...........we're all LUCKY to have YOU and your blog!!

    I'm always so "unhip" on all the hidden meanings of things......not too long ago I learned what 420 means. Then I thought it was REALLY funny when I learned my brother was using Jim420 for his email (His birthday is April 20---he had no idea either! LOL)

    ~TidyMom
    PS- I voted every day.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, TidyMom...not *I* had to google. I'd never, ever heard that. Learn something new every day, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is SO awesome~ I am so proud of you cousin~ BTW I remember when you won Cindy L tickets I was so jealous. I just love all the pictures, sounds like such a fun trip and what a great cause :) XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great post. I think this is JUST THE BEGINNING of your wins, friend.

    P.S. Wow on the "she bop" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing more details of teh trip--LOVE the julia child reference--Man look at kelly rippas arms I am so *jealous* not that I am working on mine or anything--LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Bridget, you're just as cute as Kelly Ripa!!
    Such an awesome experience, one that you'll remember for a long time :)
    Also, the cookies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes photos of Regis & Kelly and the Cake competition! I voted for your cake, it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this really is the coolest experience! I've loved following this!
    On another note: that's my favorite Cyndi Lauper song and i had no idea. None. I feel like a bit of my innocence, (at 33) has been stolen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful story! I feel excited for you! I've voted and wish everyone the best.
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun thing to get to be a part of! Thanks for sharing your amazing experience with us!!! I'm glad you had a great time and for such a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's not shocking. I never assumed she didn't eat.

    At least you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cool! Looks like you had a great time - and look at your awesome freebies!! Love your cake, too, btw!!

    http://www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cookies look so delicious! I voted again today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing experience overall Bridget! It was interesting to see all the pictures from your trip. And you look lovely Ms. Tall Lady... I wonder if we're the same height or who's taller... I'm usually towering over everyone else (including some men), like the Jolly Green Giant. We'll just have to meet some day and see ;-)

    Adorable cookies too! Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute post! I didn't know you won that ice cream! I say, you are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds/looks like you had such a GREAT time! Thanks for all the details! Your swag looks like some fun stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing and I am so happy you had such a wonderful time! What a great experience! I voted again today :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVED reading this post! You are so funny!! What an amazing opportunity you had. I wish you could have put ME in your purse and taken me TO NY!! :-) You are so incredibly talented and it's neat when others appreciate your talent. (Oh, and thanks for sharing your "extra" cookies with us!!)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!!! I learn something new everyday. I was around for the She Bop phase, and I never knew what it meant (or understood a lot of the lyrics, for that matter.) lol Thanks for teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sounds like the experience of a lifetime!!!

    No one is more deserving than you. I'm so glad you had this opportunity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You deserve every bit of the wonderful things that come your way! You have been a blessing to me and I love your blog. Thank you so much! I wish you nothing but happiness and Continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You just brought back all my happy memories too! We have the same happy memories now. Sighh what a fun time.

    I am so glad to know you now Bridget. It sounds like we're even on the same cookie wavelength today. Although your's are probably super pretty.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, its my first visit to your blog, and you had me at the first photo! huh!
    What an amazing time you had at the cake off. You really are super talented, I love all the colourful cookies you make.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sounds like you had a blast. It's always amazing to participate in something big. You should be proud of all the money your raised.
    You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, that looked like so much fun! And I loved the thank you cookies at the end. Really, I love all your cookies. I wandered over here to use your royal icing recipe and had to stop and read this post. Congrats on being chosen!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  40. It was a fabulous trip and I was bowled over when I received the email that I had been chosen too.

    I wish we could of spent more time getting to know each other. this was an experience i will always remember.

    Your cookies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That sounds like so much fun! :)

    When you have a minute, come on over to my blog. I have a Sunshine Award for You!

    www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your shamrock cookies, btw! You are so ahead of the game thinking March 17 already...

    Work From Home

    ReplyDelete
  43. sounds like such a fabulous experience!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow, how exciting and I actually voted for your cake without even realizing it was yours!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover