Thursday, February 25, 2010

As promised . . . cheesecake

How about a little somethin' to go with that raspberry sauce?

How about Vanilla Bean Cheesecake with a Chocolate Cookie Crust? Oh, yeah.

One really nice part about finally living in the same city as my sister is that when it's her birthday, I get part of the cake. {I mean, that's not the only reason I like having her here.}

She wanted birthday cheesecake and I couldn't have been happier.

Let's start with the crust.

Chocolate Cookie Crust

1 & 3/4 c. crushed chocolate wafers
4 TBSP melted butter
4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. coarse salt

Combine all ingredients. Press into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.

{I used (chocolate) Oreos...just the cookie part...for the wafers because, well, they're cheaper than chocolate wafers and I knew there would be extras. What you do with the creamy centers is your business.}

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
{modified version of Classic Cheesecake from The King Arthur Flour Baking Companion}

3 (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese, room temp.
1 & 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
4 eggs
3 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 TBSP vanilla bean paste
1 c. sour cream, full fat
1/2 c. heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 325.

On low speed, beat the cream cheese until no lumps remain; scraping down the sides as needed. Add the sugar and salt and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time until the mixture is smooth before adding the next egg. Scrape the bottom of the bowl after each addition.

Stir in the lemon juice, vanilla bean paste, sour cream and heavy cream until smooth.

Pour onto the cooled crust and bake 50 minutes or so until the edges are set and the cheesecake is a light golden brown. The middle will still jiggle when the pan is shaken.

Turn off the oven, crack the door and let the cheesecake cool in the oven for 1 hour. (This helps prevent cracking.) The center will finish setting in the oven.

After 1 hour, remove the cheesecake from the oven and run a knife around the edge of the pan.

{Doing this allows the cheesecake to contract as it cools without pulling off the side and cracking.}

Refrigerate overnight and serve with raspberry sauce (or plain, or with chocolate sauce).

You might start spooning the raspberry sauce onto the cheesecake,

but I say....go for the pour!

Happy birthday to my beautiful sister, Molly! Thanks for sharing your cake with us! :)

Related posts:
{Oh...and Flavor-of-the-Month *Chocolate Edition* linky will be up on Sunday!}


  1. The Cheesecake looks delicious,I love Oreo crust.

  2. Holy moly, woman! You are SUCH a tease. This just isn't fair on so many levels.

    P.S. Dearest & I are traveling to Houston on April 10th for an Astros game. You're there, right?

  3. This cheesecake looks amazing! I promise my husband a cheesecake every year for his birthday but rarely come through...I may not wait till then to make this one!

  4. Bridget Bridget!
    I am telling you...
    when I got a glimpse of CHEESECAKE over here...I settled in...I mean I got comfy and all propped up with the laptop...
    {i really wish you could have seen the intensity on my face when i was scrolling down the post!!!}
    I will not show this to GREG!!!
    Do you know what he would give to have a WOMAN who could whip him up a CHEESECAKE like this!?!!!
    I mean that is every man's wildest fantasy!!!
    At least I know it's one of Gregs!
    xxooxx ;o)
    You are just toooo much...
    I've just made a BIG decision....
    and let's go for a FOOD NETWORK show!!!!
    And if you think I'm kidding...
    well you just don't know how I feel about BRIDGET!!!!!

  5. Oh yum... I'm missing out on dinner at the Cheesecake Factory this weekend since our trip was canceled. I'm seriously considering making this to comfort me :) I don't think I'll share... I'll make it just for me!

  6. WOW this looks amazing. I just love vanilla especially REAL vanilla!! Those oreo middles wouldnt last long in this house! :D

  7. Ohmigoodness girl ... so delish. Cheesecake is by far, my most favorite dessert!! I love the crust. I have no idea what I'd do with the inside of the Oreos... :)

  8. Cheesecake is the best! Thanks for the recipe!

  9. My mouth is watering~ it looks so wonderful :)

  10. Please tell, what did you do with the middles? The cheesecake looks DIVINE! I just love your site....

  11. My birthday is in a few days.....will you make that for MY Birthday? purdy please?!

    Seriously.....that looks DELICIOUS!! you know I don't have a springform pan?....note to self....get one!!

    Thanks for sharing Bridge!

  12. Oh that looks insanely good ~ and how hilarious all those oreos fillings! They wouldn't last long in my house :)

  13. YUM! so on my to do list! ps. I throw the chocolate fillings into homemade icing to use a filling layer in a cake... but then you have cake and cheesecake in the house rofl

    Kim @

  14. Wow....that looks delish! If we didn't get 8 inches of snow overnight, I would be at the grocery store buying the ingredients! Keep the awesome recipes coming!! Thanks!

  15. I'm so glad you posted this recipe. Meg remembers having this at your mom's house. I have a feeling she will be wanting it for her birthday.

  16. That was a beautiful story.

    I wish all my endings were that happy :D

  17. yum....this looks so good!
    and pretty easy to make? i don't do a lot of baking/cooking so it has to be easy!!!

  18. holy cheesecake batman!! Im in love-Im running to get my fork now-I'll be over in about 5min! ;-)

  19. I am so glad I found your blog...this looks AMAZING!

    I love all the detailed pictures...I will be back! :)

  20. i just discovered vanilla bean paste at my grocery store - the exact same brand that you use. I'm picking some up on my next trip. The flecks add such a nice touch!! That cheesecake looks heavenly :)

  21. I'm with TidyMom...
    I don't have a springform pan...and I have got to get me some Vanilla Paste!
    I have looked at Central Market but they only have Almond Paste.
    Oh...popped over to check and see...are we on for
    Flavor of the Month?
    Not rushing you...just checking...need to pop to the market and get goodies for FUDGE!!! Will this be Sunday!
    Can you tell I LIVE for all things BRIDGET!!!! ;o)

  22. Teresa...thanks for the reminder! FOTM linky will be up on Sunday. I just added a note in the post. What would I do without you?! :) & TidyMom NEED springform pans!!! What are you girls thinking?!?

  23. :) I liked your "the end" photo. Cute.

    Happy Friday!

  24. Stop...stop!

    This is just slow torture!

    There are still 5 weeks of Lent!

  25. Oh my goodness that looks amazing.....neeeddd cheesecake!

  26. Oh my gosh, you're killing me here! :) YUM!!!

  27. That sounds like a great recipe...I'll have to give this a whirl for my husband! :)

  28. You amaze me!!! Can I bake like you when I grow up???? :-)

  29. i am so excited to bake this! looks DELISH!!
    2 quick q's:
    can the cake freeze & is the knife you show in one of your fab photo shots from qvc....tramontina? i need to purchase a long serrated knife...
    thanks for the reply!!

  30. Thanks so much for making this for me! It was soooo good. Maybe we need to start making each other cakes for half b-days too!

  31. Linda...

    I'm not sure about freezing it, I'm sorry. It wasn't around long enough to try.

    And, those knives were a gift and I was using the steak knife. :) Amazing how much I use those and we *rarely* have steak! ;)

  32. Jessica...Let me know closer to the game what your plans are!!! :)

  33. That cheesecake looks amazing. I am definitely going to make that soon! How nice that you can share cakes and other things with your sister. Helen x

  34. this looks like the absolute best! my daughter's birthday is tuesday. are you busy???? :)

  35. my real life friend "pearls and grace" told me to follow you on twitter & of course on your blog. i am beginning to re-think my decision to do so. i want to make everything you create.

    OMG! holy cheesecake & OMG! what a jean buster. :)

    your pics are incredible.
    can't wait your your link party tomorrow...i will be attending!

  36. Ummm, that looks way too yummy! I wish I could have a piece right now. How do you come up with such wonderful creations!!!


  37. Wow, that looks amazing! You did an awesome job on the photos too!
    Thanks for sharing!

  38. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. Did I mention WOW?? I am DROOLING!! I know people always say that but my mouth is seriously watering for this!!

    You go girl..oh! And please move next to me tomorrow. Thanks.


  39. You saved my New Years resolution! Haha, bet you don't get that comment too often with such an awesome cheesecake recipe! :)

    My resolution this year was to try a different cheesecake recipe every month. This is in the oven now, just in the nick of time, for February!

  40. wahoo! i made it on the deadline :D

  41. Do you want to make me a cheesecake for my birthday? I don't have a sister (or a mother for that matter) nearby to make me one, and my husband can be, let's say lazy when it comes to my birthday. It looks delicious, and I might me making myself one for my birthday this week!

  42. Hi Neighbor,
    I love your blog. I especially love all the cookies. You do an awesome job decorating. Thanks for Sharing!
    Kate in Tomball, TX

  43. hi,i'm from malaysia. i lovee...your blog. last night, i've made it and it so creamy and delicious.. thanks for sharing..


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover