Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gingerbread Hostess Cupcakes


Do you know what search term brings people to Bake at 350 more than any other? "Hostess Cupcakes" or "Homemade Hostess Cupcakes."

I made them last year for Valentine's Day. They were so good that the 3 people in our family ate all 20 of them. :)



For Christmas, I decided to make Gingerbread Hostess Cupcakes. Made even easier by using a boxed gingerbread mix.


It worked with one minor hiccup...more about that later.


Make gingerbread in muffin cups instead of in a pan. Just shorten the cooking time and let them cool before filling. Fill them and then dip the tops in melted white chocolate. Then, add the decorative icing on top (details & recipe below).

Here's the hiccup...the original recipe calls for ganache for the topping. I thought...easy, I'll just replace the chocolate with white chocolate. No, not that easy. The white chocolate was yellow and translucent! Yikes! Skip this step. :)


For the Filling
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow creme

For the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition. Beat in the marshmallow creme.

Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with a medium tip; I used a star tip. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill until the cupcake is heavier (do not overfill).

For the topping
1 box Baker's white chocolate, chopped
1 TBSP Crisco

On medium power, melt the chocolate and Crisco in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds until smooth.

Dip the tops of the cupcakes in the chocolate. Place in the refrigerator to set up for a few minutes.

For the Icing
1 stick unsalted butter
2 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp cinnamon
chocolate brown food coloring

Using a mixer, beat the 1 stick butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Add food coloring if needed. Spoon into a pastry bag with a #1 tip pipe onto the cupcakes to decorate.

Store in the refrigerator.


The original Homemade Hostess Cupcakes are definitely my favorite, but these are a fun alternative for winter and Christmastime.

Happy 2010, everyone!!!

{PS...I am linking this up for Tasty Tuesdays over at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam...something I've been meaning to do for ages now!}

38 comments:

  1. As usual, gorgeous! And, I am SO making the regular kind, ASAP!! I grew up adoring those cupcakes, and I'm itching to make a new cupcake recipe. Sounds awesome to me! Gingerbread's not quite my thing, but these sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture is gorgeous!! I want one!!!

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I bet the are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! Now I know what to do with that box of gingerbread mix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Icing makes any cupcake that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm . . . Gingerbread cupcakes! These look very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so yummy! LOVE the Valentine's ones too.

    I would have thought/done the same thing with the ganache recipe as well. Thanks for the lesson learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute... I love the writing across the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just gained 20lbs my reading this post. They sounds VERY yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Gluten intolerance? What gluten intolerance. I TOTALLY HAVE TO MAKE THESE! They look beyond yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my family too loves homemade hostess cupcakes!! I like the filling, but something was missing from it.. marshmallow creme!! You are a genius! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness oh my goodness oh my goodness.

    Must. Make. These. Yummy and so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look and sound terrific. In fact I'd like them better than the hostess cupcakes. Now that I think about it I've never had a hostess cupcake. I'm not fond of chocolate cake or cupcakes. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh I work in a preschool and a mom made cupcakes just like these one day for the teachers and I was super impressed!
    Do I need an excuse to make these?? oh wait, it's my birthday on Tuesday i'm so making these for myself!! :) :)
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!!! What a cute take on gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy!!!! These look good and so creative! I have had the same issue with the white chocolate, but have found that white chocolate chips work ok.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow these look beautiful and i bet they taste WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. these were sooooo good! I am wanting another one for breakfast right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I love everything you wrote on them too. How perfect for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea to make a gingerbread version! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How can one start off the New Year with a resolution of eating better when she sees this??? These look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooo...I love that filling...Mmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this idea--they look and sound delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea Bridget!! I didn't make any gingerbread this year - may have to give these a try!

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're very good at piping! Although, other evidence abounds to support this. :)

    They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What adorable cupcakes! I meandered over here from bloggers who visit Bluebird Notes :)
    You have a great blog!
    I'm passing your web address along to family~
    Happy New Year!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look yummy! You should link up to Cupcake Tuesday! I'm also having a giveaway that you will love!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bridget... you have outdone yourself!!! These look amazing... wow!!

    Love the pics too!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are amazing!! I just found your blog. Love it. Your photos, graphics, recipes.....all are great! These cupcakes look awesome. I too could probably eat 20. Good thing they are not in front of me now :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year, Bridget!
    I mostly lurk here admiring your gorgeous cookies and treats, but I HAD to stop on this post and tell you how much my mouth is watering over these cupcakes. They look fabulous. I want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look delicious! Thank you for the wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What did you use for your writing??? beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look very yummy. I can't wait until Christmas to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a gingerbread cookie mix but I dont want my cupcakes to be hard on the outside because of it. What do I add to make them moist and fluffy like cupcakes???

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to make these for Christmas. They look so yummy! Do you think an eggnog butter cream would be good on top? Or would that be too much sweet? Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover