Sunday, February 15, 2009

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

I hope you all had a sweet Valentine's Day! I never got around to posting these yesterday....
The idea for decorating the tops with words instead of the usual curlicue came from Martha and the recipe from Lovestoeat's blog. Quite honestly, they were messy & a pain in the heinie to make, but they are so cute and so good, I will probably make them again.
I've always had a fondness for Hostess Cupcakes. My mom told me that when I was in Kindergarten (this was in the days of eating in your classroom, not the cafeteria), she packed a Hostess Cupcake in my lunchbox. At lunch I brought it to my teacher's desk and said, "Can you tell me what this says? I can't read cursive." So, I love this little version...because it does say something! :)
The cake texture was a lot like the original, but the filling and top...so much better!
Scroll down for the recipe....but I thought you might like to see the Valentine's Day menu that greeted me when I woke up yesterday! :)

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
(adapted from Food Network magazine, modified by Lovestoeat & then me)


For the Cupcakes
1 & 1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

For the Filling
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla exrtact
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow creme

For the Ganache
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the Icing
1 stick unsalted butter
1 & 1/2 - 2 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla


Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Place paper liners in muffin tin for about 20 cupcakes.

Prepare the cupcakes: Bring the sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add the chocolate and butter and let sit, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture has cooled slightly. Stir in the vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

Using a mixer, beat the eggs into the chocolate, then mix in the dry ingredients.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans (about 1/4 cup batter per cupcake) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pans for about 25 minutes, then transfer cupcakes to a rack to cool completely.

(They will sink in the middle...they'll puff up when filled later)

For the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition. Beat in the marshmallow creme; set aside or refrigerate.

For the ganache: Place the chocolate in a stainless-steel bowl. Heat the cream and 1 tablespoon butter until just boiling, then pour over the chocolate; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla; let stand until cool but still glossy and liquid.

Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with a medium star tip. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill until the cupcake is heavier (do not overfill). (It's OK if some of the filling peeks out, it will be covered by the ganache.)

Spoon a little ganache on each cupcake and lightly spread with an offset spatula or a knife. Chill for at least 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the icing: Using a mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spoon into a pastry bag with a small tip (I used a #2 plain tip); pipe onto the cupcakes to decorate.

Store in the refrigerator.

63 comments:

  1. Very cute! Cupcakes and your valentine's. You've got some great guys there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes look very good... I love chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh sooo sweet! And the cupcakes are adorable too. Sounds like you spoiled the men in your family and they spoiled you right back.

    I'm gonna have to make these one day very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! Those cupcakes look so good! Thanks for your comment on the Hershey Pie....let me know if you try it and what you think!
    Deanna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cupcakes look soooo yummy! The inside looks rich and moist. They would make nice for a party and for name placments at a table.
    Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you when I saw those Martha cupcakes , just as I always do when I see the Hostess version. I love that "cursive" story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid, I was a Hostess cupcake fanatic. I always ate the entire icing top first, leaving the crumbling cupcake and gooey white filling for last. I love your cupcakes with writing on them -- so true to the original, but even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW THAT IS AMAZING! I LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those came out terrific!! Great photo of your son enjoying his!That was sweet the little menu & meal he planned for you! sounds like you had a really good day!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look like the real thing!!

    Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those look really good and just like the ones you buy at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look perfect. I so can not wait to try them!! They are probably sooo delicious. My kids would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I can't believe you made those!

    I think God wanted us to be neighbors ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. THAT family...you're right! I think so, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look so good! I may have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't even noticed your new header! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your new Header, Bridget! Lovely COOKIES and great photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Bea! Let me tell ya...my eyes are so glazed over right now from trying to edit and resize that thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Umm, can I have some? Those hostess cupcakes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww, you have some nice Valentines. I love you too Bridget for posting this recipe! I am making these, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog. cookies are adorable!!! what's your sugar cookie recipe??? The recipe I use is delicious, but the cookies don't hold their shape like yours do.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Seriously...you can find the recipe I use most under the "livestrong" post label. That recipe can be changed around with different extracts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've heard your tale about the "cursive" before. I remember thinking it was so funny and I'm not even that much older than you am I?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not sure it is sad or a good thing that my kids have no idea what a Hostess Cupcake is. Maybe I'm just to old school to appreciate them. But I think I am going to have to add this recipe to the list of recipes to try with the kids. Great photos and instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was looking at this post again and I just saw the Valentine's menu your family created. Your husband gets bonus points for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brigdet-I am starting a contest tomorrow and this entry would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I am so excited these look WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  28. All yum and no calories, right?!?! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a fun idea! The cupcakes are just plain adorable. I'll definitely keep some of these ideas for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Found you through We Are THAT Family. Looking forward to following your blog.

    Now... these cupcakes... oh. my. stars. I'm always looking for a way to make stuff at home rather than buying so I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. MMMM! Those look great!

    And that menu?!?! Awwww! Wish I had been greeted by something like this... instead, I helped pick myself out a bouquet to go on the table. How romantic, right?! lol. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fun idea! This takes me right back to childhood. And I loved the story of you asking what it said on top.

    Love your blog. I'm jealous of Kristin--I wish I lived next door to a baking blogger! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Saw your goodies pictured on We are THAT! Family! & had to come by to tell you how amazing they look! I will just have to imagine how yummy they taste. You have a lucky neighbor (& family, & friends...) I look forward to lurking/drooling some more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW! cant believe all your yummy cookies-Amazing & you live next to Kristen-awesome-she is a dear friend- hope to meet you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are so decadent. So moist, and chocolatly. Great recipe..tedious to make, but so worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those homemade hostess cupcakes might be some of the cutest baking I have seen in a long time...what a cool idea! And I bet they tasted DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE these cupcakes!! i'm totally making these when i get back home!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just made these using your recipe and loved them. Hope you don't mind if I link to this.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amy, that would be great...thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Bridget...finally going to get around to making these...the icing recipe seems like it would make alot of icing since it's just for the decoration? Is it worth making or would white royal icing do the trick?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey Kara...I honestly don't remember how much extra icing I had....that mean I need to make them again. :) I'd probably vote against royal icing, since once it's dried, you'd wouldn't want to refrigerate it. But, if you do try it, please let me know how it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just made these for my Lunch Lady Gourmet Club dinner. After trying a few recipes for Hostess cupcakes, these were the winner. They were a hit and I served them with hand picked homemade peach sherbet that I packed in those little plastic cups with the wooden spoons to complete the school lunch cafeteria theme we had going. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Iade these tonight and they are amazing!! I used the leftover filling frosting with some extra powdered sugar for the decorations (worked ok), though. First time making homemade "cakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  44. follow up - these were a hit. i ate like 10 of them. however, my filling was a little runny which made it hard for me to fill the cupcakes, resulting in 1/2 of them having little to no filling at all. that was kind of a bummer...definitely will make these again, though! very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my word - these sound delicious! I love hostess cupcakes and so does my husband but we can't get them over here in South Africa. He will LOVE these!! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just found your blog and am enjoying the entries. The Hostess cupcakes look better than the real thing - I think I shall have to try them very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Yummy! I love making homemade versions of "store bought" items :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. The cupcakes turned out well- pretty close to the regular ones! One thought - I did have a LOT of ganache, icing, and frosting leftover after making them. Maybe the amounts could be smaller? Other than that, great recipe! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I made these and they turned out wonderful! And I HATE baking.

    I posted my results on my blog, and linked back to yours.

    THANKS for a great recipe to share with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi! I made these cupcakes and posted them on my blog, too! They are amazingly delicious. Seriously. I linked to your entry in my blog.

    somethinimpractical.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. The cupcakes are out of this world!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  52. My husband LOVED these! Seriously, they got rave reviews. And they were so much fun to make! I can't get over how they look exactly like hostess cupcakes! So fun :) I'll be posting about them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh, what a fantastic idea!! My kids have been deprived as I don't like to buy baked goods that have been sitting on the shelves and these look great! Thanks so much for sharing this idea and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'm not sure what I did wrong, the only thing I did differently was use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of unsweetened, but my cupcakes basically exploded all over my oven. They were unusable! I'm sure I messed it up somehow. Yours look adorable though! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Question....I just made the cupcakes and wonder if I should wait to fill and frost them until tomorrow? They are for my daughters bday on Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Busy MoGo loves your cupcakes! What a great way to recreate a classic. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  57. These came out AMAZING! They were the start of the party; people thought that I had them ordered in from our local cupcake shop.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I made these for my friend's black-and-white-themed birthday party. They were absolutely adorable and a huge hit!!! They are all over the photo albums from the party. People kept asking "did you really make those??" "did you they look just like Hostess cupcakes?!?" Hahaha--duh, they're supposed to!!

    I have made a few versions of Hostess cupcakes, and these are by far closest to the original (but way more delicious!!)! The cake is very light and spongey, the filling is super sweet and gooey, and the bittersweet ganache balances the sweetness of the filling.

    I wrote 'happy' 'birthday' and the birthday girl's names on each cupcake. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Likе оther different routіnes to gіve up.

    Surgеοnѕ who themselves dо not promote Raspbеrry Kеtonеs bу
    a lοt of time tryіng tо lοse weight.
    It iѕ chеаp and avaіlable. Some people
    lоѵe аnd ѕuрport, Fгee Tгаіners hаs toning and ѕсulpting the body upside dοwn.
    Noω, mоѕt of thе pгegnаncу.

    Αіm to gеt riԁ οf those meals.
    You will hаve to gеt protеin in diet and yοu will feel liκе you shoрρіng
    and tаsk listѕ. The statеmеnt addeԁ
    that first-generatіоn arгivals who diԁ bеst?



    Нeгe is my homepage :: lose weight quickly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover