Friday, January 22, 2010

Easy *chocolate-dipped* Cannoli


One of my favorite blogs to read is Sugarcrafter. Tracy makes delectable food and her pictures are just gorgeous. When she made cannoli a few months back, I tucked it away as a "must make."

{I keep threatening to show up on Tracy's doorstep for dinner...she thinks I'm kidding...}


Now, if you are Italian, or live near an Italian bakery, you may want to look away, because I used....pre-made cannoli shells. I've never had homemade shells and for a Texas girl who ate her first cannoli two years ago, these are pretty (or should I say pur-dy) darn good.

For the dipped ends:


1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 TBSP shortening
handful chopped pistachios



Line a cookie sheet with waxed or parchment paper. In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips and shortening on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.


Dip each end of the cannoli shells in the chocolate and then dip into the chopped pistachios. Pop in the fridge to set up and until ready to fill.

To make the filling:
(original recipe from Sugarcrafter)

1 & 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 TBSP orange zest


Combine all of the ingredients. Place in a piping bag fitted with a large tip and fill in the cannoli shells.



{First, I used this tip: Wilton 4B....it didn't work.}



{This one worked...Ateco 828}


Place the filled shells in the refrigerator until ready you're ready to eat them.

{It's a good idea to test one, or at least eat the extra filling.} ;)


I think these are a perfect make-ahead dessert for company. They look so pretty, the filling tastes bright and fresh with the orange zest and they couldn't be simpler.

{And, Tracy, I'll be there next Tuesday. ;)}


related posts:

37 comments:

  1. Oh these look very yummy!!! I grew up in NY and could buy a cannoli anytime I left my house. Not so easy here in CA. So last week I ordered a set of aluminum cannoli forms from Amazon and they're on their way out here to the cannoliless desert. Yours really look delicious@

    ReplyDelete
  2. ridiculous.....and awesome. I may just have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so elegant! I'll have to try this for my next Italian-themed dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use pre-made shells. This is something I don't want to do. And since I love cannoli it would be fun to try this recipe (with pre-made shells of course).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look fantastic. Will be making them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Bridget...you said these can sit in the fridge.

    Does that mean you have some in your fridge?

    And can I come over...right now?

    YUM ME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would love, love, love these ! He is a big fan of cannolis...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ciao!!!!

    1) le foto sono meravigliose!!!

    2) questi cannoli sono una delizia unica!!!

    3) aspettami che arrivo!!!!

    complimenti!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bridget. Oh dear sweet Bridget. You are AMAZING!! You have made it look easy!! And I know its not! :) Way to go girl.. I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking as your next door neighbor who eats what you hand me--these are very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always wanted to make cannoli! I love a good cannoli. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow! Those look so amazing! This pregnant lady needs some cannoli!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omigosh YUM!! These look so beautiful!

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh WOW! THese look fantastic!! Definitely going on my must-try list!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love! I will definitely try these, how fabulous. I've never thought of pistachios and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh. my. goodness.
    I am making these for Valentines. My husband has only had one cannoli in his life and he always talks about it like it was life changing! lol.
    I think this might be the perfect surprise :)
    Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never have Canoli...but these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear..something else to tempt my sweet tooth with...these look amazing!!!!!!! Just found your sweet blog and I am in love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG I <3 you! Ok I love canolli, cant wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Cannoli!!! (I know, that was super dorky)
    These looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH My goodness these look wonderful!!! thanks for letting me dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! Aww, you are too sweet!! And your cannoli look gorgeous; I definitely want to dip the next ones I make in chocolate now. I love the way you think!

    And, you are definitely always welcome for dinner! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! THANK YOU! I am a BIG canner, and the link was great! And, this post....well, I think I can do that! Yay! LOL! Thank you for being Bridget. And for being "Bake at 350" (isn't it funny how we bloggys have 2 names?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, I love cannoli! It was the very first thing I learned to make. I never bothered with the shells as it was the filling I adored!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I just say wow!?

    I've been wandering your blog. I almost am ashamed to admit the last 2 times I made cookies they were premade dough.

    and I've never heard of merangue powder til your frostin link..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum these were good. I am sure my FIL woild have been impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never made Cannoli! this looks easy and elegant!! Thanks!!

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those look great. I usually make cannoli shells from scratch, but it's quite a job. I have seen the shells at the store, but I was never sure if they would be any good. I'll have to give them a try. Yours look beautiful!

    If you do want to give them a try sometime, the recipe on my site is pretty easy and rather fail-proof. I have made them a few times now with great success!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Off topic but WOW!!!! I just saw you featured on the martha stewart website!!! :)

    http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/your-best-valentines-day-desserts#slide_13

    Congrats and very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  30. mmm or take that extra filling and use it as a cake filling mmmmmmm YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  31. une belle recette et une magnifique réalisation bravo
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look easy and good! I didn't know i can buy pre-made shells! I have to check out if our supermart sells soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You ought to be condemned to cannoli hell! Lol.. they look delicious, I remember seeing this on Sugarcrafter's site, and loving them then too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover