Friday, December 11, 2009

Birthday Butterflies


Cookie inspiration can come from anywhere...greeting cards, invitations, fabric, catalogs...and even going to mass.

Yes, going to mass. This summer, a woman sitting a few pews in front of me had on the prettiest 2-tone pink dress. Halfway through mass, I realized that her dress wasn't just a swirl of pinks, it was actually covered in pink butterflies!


I tucked the idea away for this week because one of my very favorite people, who just happens to be a butterfly lover, is having a birthday. I shouldn't even say "butterfly lover"...she's more like the butterfly whisperer. She has a talent for butterflies...butterfly gardens, butterfly photos...she is an inspiration. ONE DAY, despite my black thumb, I am determined to have a butterfly garden liker her. :)

I think she needed pretty, pink, birthday butterfly cookies! Don't you?

For the cookies themselves, I wanted them to be extra special. I used my regular cookie recipe, but instead of 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, I substituted 1 tsp vanilla bean paste.

{The color is a little off here, but I like that you can see the vanilla bean flecks. This is the same recipe I used for PW's cookies.}

To decorate:
  • Make Royal Icing in two shades of pink; I used AmeriColor Deep Pink and Soft Pink.
  • With a #2 tip, make the body of the butterfly (I used dots of icing) and outline the wings.
  • Thin both shades of icing with water until they reach the consistency of a really thick syrup. Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Stir the icings gently with a rubber spatula to pop any air bubbles that have formed on top and transfer to squeeze bottles.
  • Fill in the interior of the wings with light pink, but don't bring the icing all the way to the edges...leave about a quarter of an inch. (Work a few cookies at a time.)

  • While the light pink icing is still wet, add the dark pink icing to the edges and add the veining. The dark pink and light pink icings will dry as one smooth surface. (I was going for a Monarch butterfly here, but feel free to get creative!) :)

  • Drop in a few non-pareils on the wings for detailing.


Related posts:

35 comments:

  1. im a a big butterfly fan too! can never seem to get them to land on me though.. i need a buttefly garden too haha love the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I love the detail on the wings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful butterflies!! They are so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous cookies! After you spend so much time on them and they look so good, how can you eat them??

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhh Love it!! what amazing detail-i bet you get just giddy coming up with new ideas! oh and by the way Im eating my Christmas bulb cookies you gave me-yum-I just need a cup of tea to wash it down :-0

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these so much- I have a thing for butterflies :)

    p.s. I made a batch of your cookie dough and I'm going to make cut-outs this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful. A pleasant look of Spring in the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Bridget!
    Just lovely!
    I just can't believe you can decorate cookies to look the same over and over!
    I know I have never told you this...HA!
    I THINK YOU ARE AMAZING!!!
    Soooo talented!
    You are the Iced Cookie Fairy!
    XXOOXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! Those are gorgeous! You are my cookie hero!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are gorgeous!!! You continue to amaze...

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are absolutely lovely! so very beautiful and i'm sure your friend will adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS!! You are so stinkin talented!! I have missed a few posts so had a Grand Ole Time catching up with your beautiful and mouthwatering creations!

    Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those took our breath away! Literally--there were three little gasps form my girls when they saw them. Magical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving these! Great addition with the non pareils!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful design! Wish I could duplicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. meravigliosi!! aggiungo l'applauso!!! complimenti!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so lovely! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How creative and original! They're just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i don't know how you do it but the pink outline of the butterfly didn't run into the white!

    so creative !
    these look too good to eat!
    but i hope your friend enjoyed them anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I have a friend who's into butterflies too!.....though I could never make cookies this beautiful!! Great job!!

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cookies, as usual! I have been having some problems with my royal icing lately and I have no idea why!!! I have switched over to a glaze because it still tastes yummy and I cannot keep doing my cookies over and over and over, it takes forever! The icing isn't drying smooth it is more of a leathered look, which, while interesting isn't what I am going for!! Maybe I will post about it this week. Email me if you have any idea what I am talking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I love the colors, they are so pretty. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are soo beautiful and sooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh, those are Beautiful butterflies!

    They look so delicate... Perfect!

    I spent today lost in your cookie recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the little touch of the non-pareils on the tips of the wings - too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You amaze me over and over again! I want these just to frame or something, haha. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These butterfly are beautiful. You are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh! These are SO pretty!

    -Jenniffer
    http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness your frosting skills are awesome. Just checking out your blog via your link at Tasty Kitchen and I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are so pretty! I love the non-pareils!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a question, for a newbie at all of this -in everyway. where is the best place to start at??

    I think your cookies are just awesome and would love to make some. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. busy mom...hello! Look at the labels in the sidebar. You'll find one for "the basics" and one for "the details." that should get you started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks I must have missed it.

    Everything is so pretty that you show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover