Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sweet Potato Pancakes


At our house, we eat these a lot as breakfast for dinner. For years, I told my son they were "fall pancakes" because I knew "sweet potato pancakes" wasn't going to go over so well. (He's 10 now, so he can handle the truth!)

Call them what you will...they are yummy!

These are made with canned sweet potatoes. They could certainly be made with fresh cooked & mashed sweet potatoes, but it makes me smile buying that can of Sugary Sam's. :)

Sweet Potato Pancakes


1 ¼ c. all purpose flour
¼ c. chopped pecans, toasted
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
¼ tsp coarse salt
1 c. buttermilk (or regular milk)
¼ c. packed dark brown sugar
1 TBSP vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (16 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained & mashed

Whisk together flour, 2 TBSP pecans, baking powder, spices and salt.

Combine milk through vanilla; add to the flour mixture. Stir until smooth. Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes.

Ladle about 1/4th cup batter for each pancake onto a non-stick griddle. Turn when edges are cooked and top is covered with bubbles.

Top with maple syrup....

...and maybe a little more syrup...

and sprinkle with remainder of pecans.


Related posts:

Flavor-of-the-Month link up is tomorrow, November 30th!

27 comments:

  1. They look so light and fluffy - thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh yum! great idea - thanks for sharing! Your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I was drooling at the sight of that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummo! that's all i can say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm! these are similar to our pumpkin pancakes, and we LOVE sweet potatoes - will have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm I love sweet potato pancakes! I know what I will be doing with our leftovers now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridget
    Those look so yummy...light and fluffy. I would not be able to call them sweet potato pancakes here either.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE sweet potatoes -- and these pancakes look wonderful. I've only ever made SP waffles, so I'll have to give these a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those made my mouth water. Actually, just punching in your url makes my mouth water. Turns out Pavlov and his dogs were right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh these look delicious. Never thought sweet potatoes can look so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummmmmmm I have never thought of these 2 things together~ They are sooo fall-ish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must. Make. These. Now. Weak. weaker.... fading.... send pancakes....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love sweet potatoes, just wish my hubby did too! I love your new site design, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, those look amazingly delicious - they're going on my list! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bridget!
    Those pancakes are honestly melting in my mouth at this very moment..and to think...I haven't taken in a single calorie!
    Going to post one TRADITION on Monday and one on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm, that may be the only way I'm willing to eat sweet potatoes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to call them "Fall Pancakes", too :) These look wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh these look so delicious! I love sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Breakfast for dinner is one of the all time greats.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! I love having pancakes in the morning. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pancakes, my favorite… it looks oh so very mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum... These look tasty. Love the picture of the syrup pouring down over the pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these this morning for my sister's birthday breakfast...they were wonderful! I did leave out the nuts, since she doesn't like them (she's crazy!). Thanks for the great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look sooooo good! I love anything sweet potato, so I'll just have to give these a try ;) Thanks for posting this one.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so Fantastic!Love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for posting this delish recipe - made a dozen pancakes. In addition, my kitchen smells so good! So-o-o tasty - definitely a repeater!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover