October has to be my favorite cookie decorating time of year.
The pumpkins, the candy corns, the spider webs...oh my!
These cookies are some of my favorites...sassy little spiderwebs in bright pink and orange. No special cookie cutter required, any size round cutter will do.
Here's how to make them:
- Outline a spiderweb shape in black royal icing using a #2 or #3 tip (AmeriColor Super Black).
- Thin black, pink and orange icings with water to the consistency of thick syrup (AmeriColor Deep Pink and Orange). Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
- Stir gently with a rubber spatula to pop any air bubbles that have formed on top. Transfer thinned icings to squeeze bottles.
- Working 6 - 8 cookies at a time, fill in the outlines in black, using a toothpick to spread into corners.
- On top of the wet black icing, pipe on the thinned pink and orange icings in alternating circles.
- Drag a toothpick through the icing, starting at the middle, towards the points to make a spiderweb pattern.
- Let dry at least one hour.
- Using piping consistency (non-thinned) icing , pipe spiders on the webs using a large plain tip for the bodies (such as a #7 or #12) and a #1 or #2 for the eight legs.
- Let dry overnight.