Saturday, October 10, 2009

Caramel Apple Bars

Despite the name, these are less like caramel apples and more like cobbler in bar form. :) If you love apple cobbler, you'll love husband has been eating them with a side of vanilla ice cream.

And, oh, your house will smell like grandma's kitchen while they are baking!

You will need to dirty up the kitchen a bit making these. You'll need a mixer, 3 bowls, the food processor, oven and microwave. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

{This was my favorite part of making them. I ♥ my Peel-away! Do you have one?}

Caramel Apple Bars
(source: adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion)

1 c brown sugar
3/4 c unsalted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cardamom
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 c ground pecans
2 c rolled oats

4 large apples, peeled and sliced (I used Honeycrisp)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

10-12 ounces soft caramels (such as Kraft)
3 TBSP milk

Preheat oven to 440. Lightly grease a 13 x 9" pan. Line the pan with foil and grease the foil.

Beat together the brown sugar through the baking soda until well-blended.

Add in the flour, ground pecans and oats; mix on low until combined. Reserve 1 cup and set aside.

Press the remaining crust into the prepared pan.

Toss the apples with salt and cinnamon. Spread over the crust.

Melt the caramels in the microwave with the milk on half power until melted and smooth. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle on reserved crust mixture. (You can make your own caramel topping here if you are an over-achiever.)

Bake for 35-40 minutes until caramel is bubbly. Let cool to lukewarm. Lift foil out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Using a bench scraper, cut into squares. Allow caramel to firm up before serving (mine never really did...the bars were soft...definitely fork food).

Related posts:


  1. yummy these look delicious! carameled apples in bar form what a nice recipe :)

  2. Those apple peelers are AMAZING! I love them!

  3. Yum! Yum! I will definitely be trying these TODAY! I don't have one of those handy dandy apple peelers, but everyone who has one raves about it. I think need one too. :)

  4. Those look/sound SO yummy!! I'm making my upside down apple pecan pie today! I SOOO wish I had an apple peeler!! - one more reason I wish I lived next door to you! - I could just borrow yours! LOL

    Hey, and thanks for the funny comment on my Tidy Home post!! I almost spit water on the computer when I read that your hubby said he was cleaning in my honor! ROTFLMAO!


  5. Oh oh oh..going to do favorite fall treat all together in a bar? Yummy! Thank you..come say hi :D

  6. Yum! I've been hoping for some more good apple recipes since we have a few pounds of them left from apple picking! I'll be making these for sure!

  7. These are good with ice cream, to be sure, but a cold Saint Arnolds' Oktoberfest brew will also work in a pinch.

  8. I want to be you when I grow up.


  9. These look very fallish. Paired with ice cream is a good idea!

  10. I'm so glad that you stopped by my blog! You have such a gift at decorating, which I sadly do not.
    I've been debating one of those apple peeler thingies... you've reminded me to revive that debate in my head and with my wallet!
    Caramel is one of my downfalls...adore it. I've bookmarked this one,

  11. I think that bowl full of caramels did me in!!


  12. This looks amazing and totally naughty!

  13. Hi Bridget! Those caramel apple bars look delicious! I've really enjoyed reading your blog the past few months, so I named you as a recipient of the "One Lovely Blog" award. The post is listed below.

  14. Fabulous! I do have a countertop apple peeler and love it! I make and can huge batches of apple pie filling every fall so I can whip out pies super-quick. :) These look delicious and we'll definitely try them!

  15. These looks delicious! And so easy to make. I'll have to put one of those apple peelers on my list!

  16. They look ooey gooey good!

  17. I'm so envious of your apple peeler!!! :)

  18. where do you buy those apple peelers? I know Pampered Chef has one, but I never got one. Btw, this recipe sounds WONDERFUL!

  19. Those look amazing! I will definately be trying those! Thanks for sharing!

  20. Perfect! We just went to the orchard so I need to make these!

  21. Yum- this is the kind of recipe that reminds me why I love fall!

  22. Bridget, these were sooo delicious! A few of the drops of topping starting to burn at the 25 minute mark so I got nervous and turned the temperature down to 400.


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover