Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cookies with the WRITE stuff...Works For Me Wednesday

Back-to-School Edition!

Works For Me Wednesday is a themed version this week and the theme is Back-to-School.
pencils
pencils no. 2 close
You may remember I made these number 2 pencil cookies at the end of the school year in May. Well, they'll work for back-to-school as well. :) Imagine bringing a box of cookies to your new teacher (hello, brownie points!) or the look on your little one's face when he pulls one of these babies out of his lunchbox.
pencils all in a row
These decorated pencil cookies were made using a modified pick-up truck cookie cutter. My original thought, though, went elsewhere. Click here for more from the original post. ;)
pencil cutter collage

Here's how to make them:

  • Using yellow royal icing, outline the main pencil shape with a #2 or #3 tip. (AmeriColor Egg Yellow mixed with AmeriColor Gold)
  • With a #2 tip, outline the pencil tip in beige. (AmeriColor Copper)
  • Thin the yellow and beige icings (reserving some yellow) with water to make the flood icing the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottles.
  • Fill in outlines.
  • With grey icing, use a #3 tip to add the pencil detail in 2 or 3 lines. (AmeriColor Super Black)
  • With pink icing, outline the eraser with a #2 tip. (AmeriColor Deep Pink mixed with AmeriColor Chocolate Brown)
  • Thin the pink icing with water to make the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottle.
  • Fill in outline.
  • With a #2 tip, add the pencil detail stripes in yellow.
  • Using a #1 tip, add the "no. 2" and lead in black. (AmeriColor Super Black)
pencil collage
Looking for more WFMW posts? Check out all of the back-to-school ideas at We Are THAT Family. And, you can click below for a few past entries from me.
  1. Emergency Dessert!
  2. Pure Vanilla Extract
  3. Pasteurized Eggs

32 comments:

  1. How creative was that! I would have never looked at a truck cookie cutter and turned it into a pencil. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I'm impressed!!! These are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! I love decorating cakes and cookies. This looks like a good project for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute cookies! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! They are incredibly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookies are really cute--they ALMOST make me ready for school to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing how creative your cookies are. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I am so impressed. I'm a teacher, and if you brought these cookies to me... automatic 'A' for you!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are still my inspiration, but I am learning. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that last photo! The collage is VERY cool!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so creative! I love these...my sister is a teacher and I would love to make these for her first day! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are SO making these for the first day of school. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea! I'm definitely going to make some of these for my kids! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is what I would have liked to pull out of my desk when the teacher asked us to get out our number 2 pencils:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your Blog this morning, and cannot be happier about it!

    You have inspired me to try to decorate cookies! I have always wanted to try...

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cookies with the "write" stuff; love it!! Not only is your title adorable, the cookies are too. The teachers and students will no doubt be gushing over these... It would make my day that's for sure! Thanks for the clever ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously. Adorable! I will have to make those for my daughters, they would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look awesome!!
    I'm designing two back to school collections next week.
    I hope they look as good as your adorable pencils!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute! I am sure they can incite kids to go back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband is a school teacher and is after me to make him something to take his kids when he goes back to school! He would be so excited if I made these! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so adorable and will need to make them for a 'starting kindergarten' party

    ReplyDelete
  22. super, duper, back-to-school cute! I am thinking of doing a "back to school treats" post featuring some of my favorite foodies, can I add these?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these look amazing! Are you familiar with Drop In & Decorate? You'd be a star!
    http://dropinanddecorate.org

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mandy...of COURSE!!! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love seeing how creative your cookies are. These are adorable!

    ___________________
    Smarry
    Online Marketing of your brand

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover