Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Write Stuff

pencils all in a row
My son is taking some standardized tests this week....he LOVES taking these tests (I always did, too). The test facility asked the parents to bring snacks for the kids to share and to bring #2 pencils, so we did!

pencils
I didn't have a pencil cutter. I did have a "bachelorette party" cookie cutter...if you know what I mean...that would have worked with some slight modification. ;)

But since this was a daytime project and I didn't want to risk my son stumbling into the kitchen while I was performing surgery, I used my pick-up truck cutter instead.

Just a few chops with my handy-dandy bench scraper...voila! Pencils!
pencil cutter collage

Here's the progression into cookie pencils....
pencil collage

To make the cookies:
  • Using yellow royal icing, outline the main pencil shape with a #2 or #3 tip. (AmeriColor Egg Yellow mixed with AmeriColor Gold)pencils food coloring
  • With a #2 tip, outline the pencil tip in beige. (AmeriColor Copper)
  • Thin the yellow and beige icings (reserving some yellow) with water to make the flood icing the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottles.
  • Fill in outlines.
  • With grey icing, use a #3 tip to add the pencil detail in 2 or 3 lines. (AmeriColor Super Black)
  • With pink icing, outline the eraser with a #2 tip. (AmeriColor Deep Pink mixed with AmeriColor Chocolate Brown)
  • Thin the pink icing with water to make the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottle.
  • Fill in outline.
  • With a #2 tip, add the pencil detail stripes in yellow.
  • Using a #1 tip, add the "no. 2" and lead in black. (AmeriColor Super Black)
pencils no. 2 close

These would make a great teacher gift! For one more sweet teacher gift idea, click here!

34 comments:

  1. These are too cute! and how clever cutting the truck to make the pencils!!

    ~TidyMom

    ps - off to look for the recipe link I missed! LOL Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! You always have such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Very cute! And how hilarious about the X rated cutter! It probably would have worked well ;) I bet the teachers love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those. I am doing summer cookies for teacher gifts this week. We will see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever - transform the cars into pencils! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love standardized tests, too, if they involved cookies like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did have a "bachelorette party" cookie cutter...if you know what I mean...LOL!!! That just made my morning. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the first time in 25 years, I'm wishing I was taking a test this week-those are cute.

    And I'm pretty sure your readers are going to need to know more about that other cookie cutter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you pipe with squeeze bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! And funny that you have the bachelorette party cookie cutter... I have quite a few cookie cutters, but I do not have one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!Hope the tests are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha... "performing surgery" -- you gave me a belly laugh!! It's funny because I am going to be making a body part shaped something very soon for a bachelorette party next month and I learned that you can make that using a slightly bent dog biscuit cookie cutter.

    Good work being so creative with your cutters. And gorgeous work on the cookies!! (like you could do anything less!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post made me laugh so hard..... I needed it! Thanks!!
    The cookies are adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are cute, Bridget! Love the surgery tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pencil sugar cookies look so cute. Neat job. I know the kids and the teachers enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are adorable...going to try some monograms for graduation cookies next week! Likely to check back on your instructions regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally cute as usual. Those would definitely make test-taking more pallitable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Corynn...I've never tried it, but I'm sure you could. It will be harder to control than a pastry bag and I think it would be hard to work with a small amount of icing. Try disposable icing bags. You can get them at craft stores and WalMart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are way too cute... especially for teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. BEAUTIFUL! AS ALWAYS!!
    Thank you so much for the details!!
    Much obliged!

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! I'm sure your son's teacher had a big smile on her face when she saw the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post cracked me up. I love it.

    he.hehe

    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, shoot! That would have been ackward.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bridget, I think you're gonna have to post a picture of the "bachelorette party" cookie cutter, since we are all very curious about it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. From bachelorette acountrements to grade-school snacks. That would have been very funny.

    And now, of course, you need to make some of those bachelorette cookies to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know how you do it, BUT every single post of yours amazes me, lol... You've been tagged, stop by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brett hates taking those tests! I bet if he had some of these cookies, he wouldchange his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh! You are the best mom ever!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was a teacher for a long time, and these are so freakin adorable!! I'm stealing this idea for some sort of teacher appreciation for next year. These and some apples would be so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your ideas! I'm making these tonight for my teacher gifts tomorrow. Your blog is the best. KAC

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover