Thursday, May 14, 2009

Teacher gifts: homemade, kid-decorated and delicious!

Let me give you an idea for teachers' gifts this year. I worked in a school for a few years and I can tell you....teachers have closets and cabinets full of candles and coffee mugs. I know, I gave a lot of them.

When my son was in the first grade, we he made these cookies for his teacher. I helped. :)
jack's teacher cookies
I made just a simple round cookie. Outlined it and then flooded it with white (royal) icing. (I added a decorative edge piping.) The cookies dried overnight, then I let me son loose with the food coloring pens.

TIPS FOR MAKING THESE:
  1. Let the cookies dry overnight. This is a MUST! The cookies will look dry in a few hours. Trust me, they're not.
  2. Make extras. Food coloring pens take a light touch...this is a difficult concept for kids (or maybe just mine?). The markers will poke into the icing making a hole if pushed. Not a big deal, but if you like things "perfect," have extras. :)
  3. I use AmeriColor Gourmet Writers. They come in a pack with about 10 colors and the tips are a little thinner than others. But, other brands of food coloring pens are widely available at craft and grocery stores.
We just bagged and tied these and put them in a basket. I think 2 or 3 cookies in a gift bag would be perfect for a music or PE teacher, also.
jack's teacher cookies basket
These were a HUGE hit with his teacher. She was showing them to all of the other teachers in the area. My son was pretty proud of his handiwork, too.

Here are a few more "thank-you" cookie ideas:

28 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I will definitely pass it on to all of my mommy friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea... and your son's drawings are great... teachers appreciate home made gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely idea! I'm sure a teacher (or grandparent) would love something like that. Longtime lurker here. I love your site and all your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! I have never used those pens....I need to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Your son did an awesome job!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea. I am so doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea. I might try this for even some of my neighbors for a gift. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so creative! These are absolutely adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I haven't used the food coloring pens, but they'd be great fun with our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget, your son is as talented as his mom! They are so cute... Please, tell him there are people in Brazil admiring his great job - he's getting world famous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea! I love it...mind if I steal it? I will try the pens you suggested because are Wilton and they don't seem to work that well.
    ps-you should sell the blank cookies for people to buy so they can decorate them and not have to go to the trouble of making the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to try this for an end of the year gift for teachers and friends. Do you have a recipe for your cookies that you could share? Thanks. Molly

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did Illumination candles (75% off), but next year...I'm tackling this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We made cookies just like these for Valentine's Day. My daughter had her friends over and we all made them for the moms. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We made some cookies similar to these for a school fundraiser. The kids drew their pictures, then we printed them on edible image paper and "glued" (with corn syrup) them onto the cookies.
    Next year it might just be easier to give them iced cookies and food markers.
    Thanks for the idea!!!
    Love your sons drawings, way better than the ones the Mount Holly kindergarden came up with !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Molly....click on the post link labeled "livestrong." :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a great idea! I will work on this for the end of school! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! These would be good for childrens birthday parties too...they can decorate their own cookies to eat or take home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Bridget. I looked around before and couldnt find it. Cant wait to try it with my new gator cookie cutters and green icing for our school mascot. Molly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are SO precious but I don't think I could make them look as pretty as you do. LOVE them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, I have just found your site and it is AWESOME!! I love baking and trying new things, i love that you tell how to ice these beautiful creations..thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea... how creative and you are only stopped by your kids imagination. This would be cute idea to do at a birthfay party.

    http://polwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. As year-end teacher gifts, I made and frosted cookies today and my son gets to draw on them tomorrow. He's so excited! He's going to draw pictures from some of his favorite memories of kindergarten. Sniff. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These came out SO CUTE!!! Thanks for the creative ideas.

    http://nuclearmomb.blogspot.com/2011/06/schools-out.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover