Monday, July 6, 2009

I've never met a chocolate chip cookie I didn't like...

....but this one is a real keeper!
ccc's plate
I'm way late on this one, but I finally got around to making the chocolate chip cookies made famous by the New York Times last year.

Why I took so long I'll never know, in my book chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate dessert!

I used this adaptation of the recipe by Orangette...recommended by my sister and cousin. This recipe makes the most beautiful cookies! My husband's reaction was, "Starbucks should sell these!" I thought that was a pretty good review. :)
ccc's cookie sheet
A few notes on the recipe...
  1. When I break off a piece of cookie, I like it to bend off, not snap. So, after baking batch or two, I brought mine out of the oven at exactly 15 minutes, when they looked lightly brown, but underdone. They finish baking while resting.
  2. I let mine sit on the cookie sheet only 5 minutes, not 10 as stated in the recipe. This helped make for a softer cookie.
  3. Plan ahead, the cookie dough sits in the fridge for 36 hours before baking...I KNOW! Have something else sweet in the house if you want any dough left for baking! :)
  4. For the chocolate chips, I used Guittard Semisweet chocolate (my grocery store carries it).
  5. For the sprinkling salt, I used Fleur de Sel from the bulk food section of my grocery store.
ccc's ribbon
Need more of a chocolate fix? Here's more chocolate-y goodness:

24 comments:

  1. I am so craving chocolate right now. *drools* ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so on a diet right now, ok so not just right now, but ALWAYS. After seeing those pictures, which have added an extra 20 pounds to my thighs, I'm drooling.

    Now I must go home and bake!

    Can I totally blame you for my weight gain this week? Just checkin'...

    Thanks for sharing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site isn't going to help my diet at all. sigh. I'm making these for the next special occasion that comes up, probably my husbands birthday later this month. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this week on my site Collectors' Quest I am featuring people who collect cookie jars. I figured since you wrote so much about baked goods (sometimes cookies!) that you'd like to check it out: http://www.collectorsquest.com/featured-week/Cookie+Jars.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree these are the best ccc's by far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh these look so so good! I love chocolate cookies however I still haven t found the perfect one. these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know I still haven't made those either...It's the wait time that gets me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate Chip Cookies. My favorite and I am the same I like them to bend not snap. I even like them a little under cooked. Yes strange I know. But they are so good right out of the oven yummy. If cookies make you want to eat right through the screen you know they are good cookies. I'm full. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are...you knew those were for you, right?!? ;)

    Amazing Greis...yes, you can blame me; I blame myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've decided that i LOVE the "America's Test Kitchen" cookies - the one in the blue baking cook book (binder) not the red one - mostly because they always turn out perfect, and you melt the butter, so no need to pre-soften. Not sure I'm willing to try another recipe...but these look fabulous, so if I do, I'll refer back to this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like them to bend and mine always get hard...is it in the storage of the cookies or is the aim to eat them all and never have to store them!?
    Thanks for the recipe!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum those look so good-but i think i am making caramel brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must
    Make
    These
    Soon.

    Seriously, I just had some Oreo's and thought they were the best cookie that I've ever met - then I saw these and they put those to shame!!!

    They look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gawd - I could eat about 40 right now, those looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe is my current favorite, too - but I can never wait the 36 hours! Your cookies look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Out of all the one's she made, I am staring at the last few as I type this. Arrrgh... me need more COOOOO-KEEEEEEYS!

    BTW, Molly, love the use of "ccc's". Sounds like a new foodie acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE these cookies! I got the recipe off of Martha Stewart... read all the comments and made some of my own tweaks to it. I put some whole wheat flour in for the pastry flour and it works. I shape it into disks & wrap in plastic to chill... then I just cut into little blocks to bake. I make them smaller for the kids' lunch boxes. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these cookies!!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think of it as a 36-hour wait; I think of it as breaking up the recipe so I don't have to do the whole thing at once. It's much less of a time commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi

    What kind of flour did you use cake and bread flour or all-purpose flour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jackie!

    I used the cake and bread flour. I just happened to have them both on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I finally made these and they are just heavenly! Best chocolate chip cookie EVER! And definitely worth the wait in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover