Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Luscious, THREE INGREDIENT Chocolate Sorbet...Works For Me Wednesday

When our fearless leader, Kristen of We Are THAT Family, deemed this Works For Me Wednesday "Summer Recipes Edition," I knew just what I would make!
chocolate sorbet outside
This Chocolate Sorbet comes from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book by Bruce Weinstein (great book). It's so simple and so decadent tasting, I don't know why I don't make it ALL THE TIME!!!
chocolate sorbet
3 ingredients...that's it. It's dairy-free, gluten-free, fat-free, but more importantly....IT'S GOOD!!!

chocolate sorbet scoop
Chocolate Sorbet
(adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book)

2 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 c. dutch-process cocoa powder

Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the cocoa and continue whisking until the mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes, whisking constantly.

Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Let cool several minutes on the counter, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours or overnight.

Stir the mixture and add to your ice cream machine, following the manufacturer's instructions. Remove and place in a freezer safe container; press plastic wrap down onto the top to prevent freezer-burn. Let harden a few hours. ENJOY! :)

A few more ice cream recipes to cool you off this summer:
chocolate sorbet j scoop

30 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so good!!! The color reminds me of an Oreo, and I LOVE Oreos!!! Can't wait to give it a try with my brand new ice cream maker!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me happy. I'm running out to the store to buy cocoa asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I might make this tomorrow! I need some chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds super tasty! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that really does sound simple. Time to dust off the ice cream machine that's buried somewhere in my cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so dark and rich looking I was tempted to think it might be squid ink ice cream. Imagine! But that ingredient list is ridiculous! My kids could put that together. In fact, maybe they will!

    Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing... and I was just looking for a dairy-free, gluten-free recipe to have for dessert when my mother-in-law comes in two weeks -- this is it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, thanks! We need a new recipe for the ice cream machine! and you can't get more simple than this!!

    Where can I find dutch-process cocoa powder? do they sell it at the grocery store? or can I just use the Hershey's cocoa?

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  9. TidyMom...look for it right with the regular cocoa. Your grocery store should have it. Hershey's labels theirs as "Special Dark" now...you really have to look at the package to see if it's "dutched." Yes, regular would work just perfect. That's actually what the original recipe calls for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. um, this sounds like the best thing EVER!! making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't even had a second cup of coffee this morning and I've already made this ice cream! Perfect! My in-laws are coming to stay for 2 weeks and my FIL was just told he's to lay off the dairy. I've been freaking out trying to figure out what to feed the man, at least now I've got a dessert! Thank you for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is awesome- definately gonna have to try this in the kitchen!! the texture looks amazing considering the few ingredients in it!! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admit that I have never made a sorbet, but it looks delish especially since it is chocolate! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow it looks so decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh this looks so good!! I have been craving ice cream so badly every since i had to go dairy free for my baby!! I think I'll go home and get right on this! :)
    Do you really have to let it sit in the refidgerator over night???

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, that is the darkest chocolate sorbet or ice cream I've ever seen!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  17. this look amazing and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow- almost jet black
    sounds good- im guessing it would taste like chocolate syrup, the sauce you put on icecream and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, the color of that sorbet makes it look so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ryley...at least 2 hours or overnight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good grannies it looks decadent!
    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to try this! I can't believe it's lowfat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. /drool

    That looks GOOD!! Omg now I have to run to the store for goodies. HAHA

    Please consider stopping by my site. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just had to try this, started at 8:17 & it's now 8:27 & it's done & this dishes washed, can't wait to try it.

    I just found you from That Family.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    I begin on internet with a directory

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover