Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A baker's best friend...Works For Me Wednesday


I ♥ bread.

I've never been on a low-carb diet, and I never will be. OK, "never" is a strong word...I never EVER will be!

Bread-lovers and bakers, let me introduce you to your new best friend/s....the folks at King Arthur Flour.
They're not just a flour company. They are a one-stop baking resource.

Do you know their website has recipes?

Have you visited their Baker's Banter blog?

King Arthur even has a baking "hotline"(!) and an email address for baking questions. {A real, live baker actually answers your questions!!!}

Here are a few goodies that I've made with the help of King Arthur...
white bread sliced

white bread 101
White Bread 101. {That's what it's called in the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.} Want to make you're own bread for sandwiches and toast? Start here. One bite and you'll cringe at the thought of buying store-bought! Make it healthier by using white whole-wheat flour or a combination.

cheese bread
Oh yeah, babe! Warm bread filled with yummy cheese...need I say more?

checkboard cookies
Checkerboard cookies...I never would have attempted them without help of the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion.
checkerboard collage
Well, there you have it. King Arthur books, website and blog work for me. They are my go-to places when I have a baking question or need a recipe. I think you'll like them, too.


Come back later this week for an exciting announcement!!!

Check out We Are THAT Family for more WFMW tips or click on some of these previous posts:

27 comments:

  1. Oohhhh....an announcement?? I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a HUGE fan of King Author flour also. I keep 10 pounds close by at all times. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. King Arthur makes using whole grains so much easier. Love your checkerboard cookies, too. Without your pictures, I'd never have been able to figure out how they are made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread is beautiful - each and everyone. I LOVE King Arthur although I have a grain grinder and a ton of wheat berries that I must get through before I can splurge on some more. Thanks for pointing me to their blog - off to see it. I savor the catalog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation...I want to start baking bread for our family. This looks like a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.Wow.. those checkerboard cookies look too good to eat! Amazing. I see some King Arthur action in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE LOVE your blog!!! :) I have never heard of King Arthur flour but I am calling my mom tomorrow so we can explore this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your posts! I'm absolutely checking this out. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bridget, I love seeing all the things you're making - great variety! Thanks for reminding me about that cheese bread... doesn't get any better than that. And thanks (on behalf of my 167 fellow employee-owners) for all your kind comments - bake on! PJ Hamel, King Arthur Flour baker/blogger

    ReplyDelete
  10. King Arthur sells a wonderful white whole wheat flour that has become a go-to for all of my baking projects (which, since I am a bake-o-phobe, are not that many!). If you ever get to Norwich, Vermont, you must stop at their store and baking center.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used King Arthur bread flour but not all-purpose. I'll have to try that. Your baked goods look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness gracious, that cheese bread looks so scrumptious! King Arthur here I come. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. King Arthur Flour is located right near me :) And that bread looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of those things look so yummy! Especially that cheese bread...I think I drooled a little, LOL. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let the food flashbacks begin...and now to the drooling ;-) I remember every one of these, especially the roll w/the grated cheese baked-in. They were all delicious. Thanks to King Arthur and Queen Bridget! Hey, wait a minute, what does that make me, Prince E or the Court Jester???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to eat everything on this post!YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is King Author special order only or are there stores around here? I'd love to try it in my 5 minutes to Artisan bread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea they had a blog...great! Also I didn't know they did AP flour...I have their whole wheat and bread flour in the pantry. I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. honey smoke those checkerboard cookies are incredible. Look like a lot of work though!

    I feel like I'm a bad baker... I mean, I like KAF but I don't get why it has such a cult following. I can get it in my local grocery store and have tried several bags and I don't notice any desirable difference between their unbleached all-purpose and the store brand. Maybe it's all their other flour varieties??

    ReplyDelete
  20. We Are THAT Family...you can get KA flour at HEB, Kroger, even WalMart, I think. They also carry some of the specialty flours, but some I've only seen online.

    Julia....I guess I just trust KA. :) Where a store brand, not so much. (Depends on the store!) Also, I feel a loyalty to them for all of their baking help. They just seem like "good people" and I like supporting that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree. Every recipe that I have ever tried on their website and blog has been wonderful!

    Those cookies are sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been a long time since I tried baking bread, but your post has me thinking about it again! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could spend DAYS in the King Arthur catalog. DAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those checkerboard cookies look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I order from KA all the time, but I never knew about the blog!
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover