Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vanilla Bean Paste

pound cake dough
After posting about va-va-vanilla cookies and meyer lemon-vanilla scones, I received A LOT of email about vanilla bean paste.
vanilla bean paste
Vanilla Bean Paste is something I just started using within the last year. I love it!!! It really makes baked goods look and taste special. I thought it was going to come in a squeeze tube or something, but it is actually like a really thick extract filled with vanilla bean seeds. It can be used 1:1 in place of vanilla extract. You can also use it in place of vanilla beans! Ice cream, cakes, cookies, cupcakes...oh, the possibilities!

I'll leave you with a recipe for Vanilla Bean Pound Cake that we have devoured this week. We've eaten it for breakfast, dessert and even made French Toast with it. :) vanilla bean collage

Vanilla Bean Pound Cake
(adapted from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion)

1 c butter
1 c sugar
3 TBSP light brown sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP vanilla bean paste
1 tsp baking powder
1 & 3/4 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
For the glaze:
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c water
pinch salt
1 TBSP vanilla bean paste

Preheat oven to 350°. Using the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, sugars, salt vanilla and baking powder until smooth & fluffy. Add the flour and mix well. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bottom after each addition.

Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9 X 5" loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes.

Once the cake is out of the oven, make the glaze. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and salt to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla bean paste.

Remove the cake from the pan and place on a cooling rack set over a cookie sheet. Poke the cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick. Slowly drizzle and/or brush the glaze all over the cake...until all of the glaze is used. Cool completely before slicing. pound cake strawberries

25 comments:

  1. It is indeed very yummy stuff. I got jar of it last year for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good! Hope I can get one somewhere in Cancun... or Mexico...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That sounds amazing. I might be getting some of that from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! That is so much easier (and seems less expensive) than using vanilla beans.
    Now for some great news, you won my blog giveaway for the White Chocolate w/ William Pear sauce by Somebody's Mothers. Hooray!!
    Drop me an email with your address and I'll get it out to you early next week (we're leaving on vacation in the morning).
    -Mandy
    mandyheaston(at)gmail(dot)com
    www.gourmetmomonthego.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! That pound cake looks sooo good!I love the 3 little pictures under the big one. Give me the scoop on how you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using vanilla bean paste. I used it often several years ago when we lived in a larger city. It was easier to buy there. I am so excited you are making it available to purchase. I will be buying some very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you keep in such good shape? I think I gain weight just reading your blog haha! I bet this is just lovely I love seeing the bean!I also heart you heart shaped spoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. can this pound cake be served as a base or strawberry shortcake? have you tried it that way?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy...yay!!! :) Thank you! Yes, it really is less expensive than buying vanilla beans & really reasonable considering it's 4 ounce jar!

    Molly...I emailed you about the photo stuff. :)

    Kris...great idea! I wish we had some left. I think that would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that stuff too and have been using it for a year or so too, though I don't use it in everything.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, this pound cake sounds incredible. Especially with those berries there... irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a paypal button and decorated cookies: a beautiful combination

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just stumbled upon Vanilla bean paste...LOVE IT!
    I love that it gives it a depth of flavor that you just don't get with the regular vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that recipe. It looks deeelicious! Have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered some! I want one of your cookies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to try this paste. I've never heard of it. I also can't wait to check out your etsy store when it opens :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love VBP! That cake sounds fantastic. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe! I just tried it this weekend. I love vanilla bean paste- it really is a very useful ingredient and my local Fresh Market carries it. I am tempted to order it from you for the cookie, though. What are you going to sell in your etsy store?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Jennie...I'm going to be offering some cookies in the shop...once I get some current orders out and shipped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy to chance upon your blog. I love when tiny specks of vanilla seeds shine in cakes, cookies, ice creams and icing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this tonight for dessert and it was amazing! Thanks for the super recipe. My sister deemed this Miracle Pound Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is indeed the best!very nice presentation and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE vanilla bean paste!!!!! you cannot find it everywhere though.... publix does not carry it. I found it at our fresh market store. It is an amazing sub for just plain ole vanilla extract! I use it in most of my baking and what a difference it makes! its not cheap though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This cake is delicious!!!!! Purchased the vanilla bean paste on Amazon. This is probably the best pound cake I have ever had. Thank you for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can you make this cake in a 9x3 round pan?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover