Monday, February 9, 2009

He said, She said . . . Ice Cream Pie

{Be sure to visit this page: Ice Cream Pie, Revisited for an even yummier, more decadent version!}

Have you seen the Turtle Ice Cream Pie from Bon Appetit magazine this month? I could not resist! It just looked so beautiful...and it was beautiful in person as well! :)

Here's the he said, she said...

I thought...it's good, but kind of plain.

Hubby...pronounced it "in the top 5 of all desserts ever."
I think I would have loved it if the ice cream hadn't been vanilla. The crust was perfect, the caramel sauce was drool-worthy, the chocolate topping was delicious, but it all got underwhelmed by vanilla! IMHO :)

So, I will make this again, but I'm thinking...coffee ice cream, or even chocolate....mmmmmm.....
The makings of the crust...pecans, graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter
Oh...the caramel sauce! The hardest part of the recipe: not eating all of the caramel between layers!!!

Layering the caramel and the ice cream...
...and the pie, waiting the the freezer :)

21 comments:

  1. "Top 5..."? That SAYS a lot!! Hope I can find the magazine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that sure looks good. My mouth is watering. Do you have the recipe? That will make a good summer dessert to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMM-O! I must find that recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa, Treasure Ann & Bea...just click the link at the beginning of the post for Turtle Ice Cream Pie. It will take you straight to the recipe. Let me know of you try it with a different ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't know I'm a vanilla lover all the way. Maybe it was the brand? Either way it sounds & looks decadent and I hadn't seen that issue! I'm gonna have to give it a try.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet pecan praline ice cream would be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bridget, I found the recipe. Thank you and I'll let you know how it turns out. I might fix it for Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! That looks good!!!.....still dieting! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This looks really good! I would think the more chocolate the better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you should try DQ ice cream it is a little more mellow.

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a great job on it. It looks very professional and super yummy.

    Did you use a good quality vanilla ice cream? One that had actual vanilla beans in it? I'm not sure if you can find it, but it might be better with a vanilla custard ice cream. I just worry if you used a different flavor, it might overwhelm the pie with all the other stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was looking at that recipe when the magazine arrived.
    I'll wait for warmer weather! But, the caramel apple crisp in the same article is a big possibility for this weekend!
    The pie looks awesome, caramel is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could eat that ENTIRE THING. For REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would second you on the coffee ice cream... extra yum! I love tiramisu because of the mild coffee flavor. This would probably be a close second!

    Your blog is certainly not kind to those hoping to diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bookmarked this one! wowza!
    Thanks for sharing and for being our "THAT" family's new nice neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!! That looks amazing!!! Can you share the recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jessica!

    Just click the link in the post...it will take you right to the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this looks so yummy! I just found your blog and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omigosh. YUM. That looks divine -- vanilla and all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover