Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Homemade KitKat® Bites

When I set out to attempt a homemade version of KitKat® bars, I had no idea that it would be one of the most difficult recipes I've ever tried to create. (It was a tough job taste-testing all of that chocolate.)

homemade kitkat bites
*this post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar

There are lots of copycat versions floating around out there. It was the wafer part that was giving me issues. Some recipes use crackers...and I tried my own versions...with two different crackers, only to be disappointed. Crackers and chocolate are good, but they're no KitKats.

Homemade KitKat® bites
I've dipped those filled wafer cookies in chocolate before, good, but again, not KitKats.

I found wafer sheets on Amazon. I'm sure they would have worked really well, but they're expensive and available almost exclusively online.

Homemade KitKat® bites
Then, I stumbled upon the wafer-y goodness of the cake ice cream cone. Ding, ding, ding!!! 
The perfect wafer consistency!

Homemade KitKat® bites ... made with a secret ingredient!
I tried a few versions with the cones, finally settling on this one made in a mini muffin tin. Do they look like a KitKat® bar? No. But, they are the closest rendition of one I've tasted. And I've been doing lots and lots and lots of tasting.

Homemade KitKat® bites
Instead of crushing the ice cream cones, you'll actually chop off the bottom. (This is easiest to do if you break off the hollow part with your hands, then trim the flat part of the cone.)

Homemade KitKat® bites
The grid of the cone bottom is then filled with chocolate cream and placed in a chocolate coated muffin tin.

Homemade KitKat® bites
The whole thing gets topped off with even more chocolate.

Homemade KitKat® bites! I'm sharing the recipe over on Imperial Sugar today!

Homemade KitKat® bites
*KitKat® is a registered trademark of Nestle and a product of The Hershey Company.


7 comments:

  1. Such a great idea, friend!! Kit Kats are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love me a Kit Kat at Halloween! laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - an ice cream cone! Can't believe you thought of that. Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I literally just finished off a Kit Kat and then stumbled upon this post! It's fate :) I need to make these..and so clever with the cones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much.

    defend your nuts 2 | happy wheels 3 | cat mario | bloons tower defense

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover