Monday, September 28, 2015

All about CookieCon...

Have you ever wanted to spend 4 days surrounded by thousands of cookies? It's not a dream, my friends, it is a reality.

Yesterday, I returned home from a trip to my first ever CookieCon. (That is a conference all about cookie decorating.) This year's conference was the third one...and my first time attending. (I was also a speaker. < insert profuse sweating here > ;)

cookie con slc photo cookie con phone pics 2 1 of 5.jpg
It was held in beautiful Salt Lake City. SLC, I've fallen in love with your low humidity.

Here's my big takeaway from CookieCon: Cookie people are GOOD people.
To be perfectly honest, I was nervous and intimidated. These ladies, these ARTISTS, make incredible, jaw-droppingly gorgeous cookies. Cookies I can only dream of making. (I'm am not fishing for compliments here...I'll be sure to let you know when I'm doing that ;). It's true; their cookies are AMAZING.) Well, in addition to possessing mad cookie skills, these women are also the most gracious, warm, and welcoming bunch imaginable.

It must be the sugar. ♥

Before I get into more pictures, can we just agree that hotel ballrooms and conference rooms have the worst lighting ever? Ah, so glad I got that off of my chest. Let's proceed.

What do people DO at a cookie conference?
  • pre-classes: smaller classes where you can learn techniques hands-on from cookie experts
  • sessions: larger classes on specific techniques, how to run a business, blogging/photography/social media (that one was mine, full list here)
cookie con room service photo cookie con phone pics 2 2 of 5.jpg
{Here's what I did after my day of teaching 8 sessions. Is there anything better than room service? Is there anything better than room service and Modern Family on TV while wearing pajamas? No.}

  • enter cookies into the "sugar show" for judging
{ALL of the cookies were my favorites. Here's just a sampling...}
all about CookieCon

Those BlueBell ice cream cookies stole my heart, of course. all about CookieCon
  • cookie tastings!!!
all about CookieCon

  • attend open decorating and try your hand at things like airbrushing, painting, and stenciling.
all about CookieCon

  • SHOP!!
 photo cookie con bed 1 of 1.jpg
{My hotel bed covered in just a few purchases. They seemed small, but my suitcase weighed 12 pounds more than when I left home.}

  • go to open demos 
all about CookieCon
{I'm obsessed with Springerle molds now...and in love with Patrice from Springerle Joy. Can't wait to show you guys more of these.}

  • decorate a mystery shape cookie (each attendee had the chance to decorate a mystery shape cookie...)
{These cookies were all the SAME SHAPE!!! Incredible!}
all about CookieCon
This curly haired one (top left) was said to be inspired by a certain someone's hair. *ahem*
(If ONLY my curls looked that good!)
all about CookieCon

  • compete in cookie decorator face-off! 
  • make new friends and get to see people in real life whose cookies you've admired over the internets
all about CookieCon
*Say Hi to Andy, Pam, Lisa, Gina, and Nancy!!!*

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Mike and Karen Summers...the founders of CookieCon. They made the event such a success and made everyone feel welcome. Also, the "purple apron people" were absolute treasures! 

So, who wants to go next year???


 photo bothbooksgreyborderstamp.jpg

27 comments:

  1. My goal is to attend next year (or whenever the next one happens) Is this held every year or every 18 months? Loved all your photos thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, it was such a pleasure meeting you! Thanks for the encouragement and nerve calming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Dotty! Meeting you was a definite highlight of my time there! Thank you for being so gracious and inviting me to lunch the first day!!!

      Delete
  3. It's been held every 18 months so far . . . I went to the last 2 but had to miss out on this one. Glad you had such a great time Bridget. And didn't you love the hotel's French onion soup?? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim P - I so want to go - sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to attend the next year CookieCon..! Is it always in Salt Lake City?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always has been. I'm hoping for Texas next time. ;)

      Delete
  6. Springerle molds can be found in antique stores at great prices. But don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the cookies are beautiful..what a lovely place..love the soup and wine too..Everyomne looks so friendly ..Fun to come home with treasures;)
    You have the hair all the young girls want Bridget:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bridget, It was wonderful meeting you this year. Your session was great and very informative too. Although you made it tempting... I think I will leave the blogging to the pros like yourself. I too enjoyed no frizz!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someday....Cookie Con is on my bucket list. Thanks Bridget for sharing and making me REALLY want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was wonderful to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your presentation was one of my absolute favorites!! I'm so glad I got to meet you in real life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a great time and the cookies are amazing looking - if I could bake and decorate like that...I would attend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, you should attend. I don't decorate like this, all levels attend. You will meet great people.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing with us. I love your sugar cookie cutout recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bridget, Thank you for coming to Cookie Con, and sharing your expertise with us in your class! You are a dynamic speaker, and I appreciated all the tips you shared. I took notes on your handout, thank you for that, also! But even better was sharing some moments here and there, you at our table, etc. I wish we had had a bit more time to get to know each other. Your warmth comes across instantly, Bridget! Thank you for sharing the picture on your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how do we find out when and where the next one is? I am totally a beginner, will I feel lost and out of place? :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a first time attendee and am a novice (read unskilled here) decorator and I had an awesome time. This group of women was the most warm and welcoming group I have ever been a part of. Even the "Cookie Stars" are approachable and friendly. Learned a lot, met some of my heroes and made lots of new cookie friends. Can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  16. You were amazing, so cool to meet the person behind the blog! It was a fantastic experience, jam packed with great info and super people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As soon as the dates for next year's conference are announced, I'm blocking out the time on my calendar. NO ORDERS...COOKIE CON ONLY!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was so fun meeting you in person. I'm a big fan! I now have my powdered sugar box proudly displayed in my baking cupboard. I'm not sure I'll ever actually use the powdered sugar, I just want to look at your beautiful cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bridget,
    I would love to go to a cookie or food conference some day.
    My curls don't behave like the ones on the cookie either.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bridget,
    Loved meeting your and truly enjoyed all those blogging and social midia tips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover