Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Job Celebration Cake!

chocolate chip coconut cake
Jack started his first job last month. We're so proud of this kid. Honestly, he juggles his responsibilities better than I do. Teenagers have more energy, right?

Well, along with first jobs come first paychecks, and even though he thought I was crazy for taking his picture with his check, I did it anyway.
jack first check photo jack first check 1 of 1 blur 2.jpg

As much as I would love to go up to the tutoring center to watch him work, I know I would have been utterly mortified if my mom had come to the pool to watch me lifeguard when I was 16. (And really, who wants to watch someone sit in an 6-ft high chair and twirl a whistle?)

chocolate chip coconut cake
So, I made a cake. A First Job - First Paycheck Celebration cake. This cake is one I've been making for close to twenty years, but this time I added chocolate chips. Adding chocolate chips is never a bad thing, especially where my chocolate-chip-loving child is concerned.

If you have issues with using a cake mix, please avert your eyes.
chocolate chip coconut cake
This chocolate chip coconut cake comes together in a jiffy and is just the ticket for any celebration.

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg

Chocolate Chip Coconut Cake

{makes one 9x13" cake}

1 box white cake mix
8 ounces sour cream
15.5 ounce can creme of coconut*
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon flour

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar
4 TBSP milk
shredded sweetened coconut

*look for creme of coconut in the drink mixer section of your grocery store

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13" pan.

Start mixing all of the cake ingredients, except the chocolate chips and flour, with an electric mixer on low speed. Once combined, increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.

chocolate chip coconut cake
Toss the chocolate chips with the flour and fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.

Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.

For the frosting, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. On low speed, add in the powdered sugar and milk. Once combined, increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy and thickened. Add more sugar or milk to adjust thickness as needed.

chocolate chip coconut cake
{Oh my gosh....that frosting!!!}

Spread the frosting over the cake.

chocolate chip coconut cake
Sprinkle cake with a generous amount of coconut. Store in the refrigerator.

chocolate chip coconut cake
Jack is loving his first job so far. What was yours?


  1. He looks like a sweet young man!
    I think more pics like that are needed..milestones..
    I wish I had a photo of me w/ my first cheque..amazing how little my parents took photos..if any..

  2. Love this Bridget! Congrats to your handsome young man. The cake looks like the perfect way to celebrate!

  3. Congratulations to Jack! I think it is great to have a picture of him with his first paycheque! He'll look back on it many years from now and have some great memories to recount. I don't think I saw a tweet from you that Jack had started working...I don't know how you kept it quiet. There was no Twitter when my kids both got their first jobs but if there was I know I wouldn't have been able to stay quiet about it for a month :) Totally understand you wanting to sneak in and watch him at work! Best wishes to him in his new role.
    I didn't avert my eyes...the cake looks great! Also, LOVE that you hung your "Be Nice or Leave. Thank You" sign at the entrance to your home :)

  4. So FUN! Lauren sent her first application just last night!! And for a cute little place called *The Goodie Shoppe* they make cakes and cookies! I'm totally going to make this for her if she gets the job!!! LOVE the idea Bridgie!! You're the cutest mama ever.

  5. Yay for first job! (Since you asked, mine was waitress at a little independent cafe shortly before moving on to a nice steakhouse. So you were getting tanned while I was getting free dinner to add to my thunder thighs. YIKES!)
    Those students are fortunate to have Jack helping them. Being brilliantly smart and having compassion to help others is the perfect combination for tutoring. Hope it's a great adventure!
    I bet he will always remember you taking time to bake him a special cake to celebrate the first paycheck!
    <3 Bev

  6. It's always a big deal having your first job! Cake is a great way to celebrate! I love a good cake mix from time to time. My first job was as a housekeeper so I too am glad my mom couldn't come watch me...although I doubt she would have wanted too! I look forward to my two growing up, but I will keep them little for now. :0)

  7. Congrats to your sweetheart!
    This cake is the bombdiggidy. I'm so making it tonight!

  8. I worked at a miniature golf course for 9 years, all throughout high school and college. Best. Job. Ever.

  9. I few months ago I stocked up on white cake mix and never ended up using it. I was at a loss for a good recipe. Pinned and making this weekend.

  10. Congrats!!! Such a sweet idea - I'll have to do that with my nephew 💖 my first official "I-got-a-paycheck" job was selling Spanish courses over the phone. I was 17 and it was a block away from my high school. I only needed 2 classes to graduate. Had I been allowed to take them my junior year I would have been done with school in 3 years! So my senior I took it easy and took a Work Studies class.(basically I was enrolled in school but allowed to leave the campus to work - if I didn't work I had to report to class). I had lunch with my friends, at 12:50 I walked out the door and by 1 pm I was clocking in!!!

  11. I can't believe he's old enough to have a real job - sadface! Why are these kiddos growing up so fast?
    He's so lucky to have such a supportive mom and cake! This looks amazing!

  12. Great training for the future! All my children worked during high school and college. My first job was in a small family owned grocery store.

  13. Aw! You are such a sweet momma. First jobs are so exciting and I adore that you made him a celebratory cake, it looks delish!

  14. I love taking boxed cake mixes and switching them up!

  15. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

  16. I love old-fashioned cake recipes like this, definitely saving it! And congratulations to your Jack... Joseph is only 4 months old, but I hope he grows up to be as sweet and grounded as your boy appears to be. You and your husband are obviously fantastic parents! xo Oh, and my first job was at my small town's pizza shop when I was 15 :)

  17. That cake sure looks sumptuous! Congratulations to Jack for starting with his first job. He seems like a very hard-working person. I wish him the best on his career, and I hope to hear more about it soon! Take care!

    Waylon Grimm @ All Force Labour Solutions


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover