Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sweet on Trader Joe's Saturday: Chocolate Brooklyn Babka

Happy Saturday, friends! Today, we're reviewing Trader Joe's Chocolate Brooklyn Babka.

a review of trader joe's chocolate brooklyn babka
Now, maybe because I grew up in the suburbs of Houston and went to college in Oklahoma, but I'd never even heard of babka until watching Seinfeld. Remember Elaine wanting to bring a chocolate babka to a party...gets stuck with the "lesser" cinnamon babka...and Jerry breaks his no throw-up streak due to a black & white cookie?
That was my introduction to babka...and I've wanted to eat one ever since.

a review of trader joe's chocolate brooklyn babka
Trader Joe's describes this as "a sweet rich pastry layered with chocolate." An 18-ounce babka costs $4.99. In our Trader Joe's, I've seen this come and go. It's always right by the first register and nowhere else in the store that I have seen. Keep your eyes peeled.

a review of trader joe's chocolate brooklyn babka
A mom's (my) take: BABKA...where have you been all my life? Oh, y'all. This is my ultimate food. This is like a cross between bread and a croissant, all marbled and swirled with chocolate. The top is glazed and studded with chocolate chips. Bonus: babka is super fun to say. You know they have those forks by the door at Trader Joe's? (I'm sure they're for to-go salads.) I may grab one on my next trip and eat one of these in my car.
Overall rating: (a very enthusiastic) 5 of 5 stars

A teeanger's (kiddo's) review: I've never eaten any sort of babka before, but this particular one was amazing. To me, it tasted like several layers of crossiant-ish bread spaced by chocolate and all sorts of sugary goodness. The consistency was very interesting, as the outside and bread was sort of chewy but the inside, especially the chocolate, was very soft and rich. I could EASILY eat the whole thing.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5 stars

a review of trader joe's chocolate brooklyn babka
Trader Joe's Chocolate Brooklyn Babka: 
Elaine wants you to have one. (So do we.)

Read all of our Trader Joe's sweet treats and dessert reviews!

 photo bothbooksgreyborderstamp.jpg

18 comments:

  1. Oh this looks amazing! I don't think I have ever seen it TJs though. I am going this afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when you were going to get around to reviewing this one. It is incredible! Have you tried the dark chocolate covered caramels? Also delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now i want to try babka!!!
    you know my love for chocolate croissants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have to keep an eye out for it cause it sounds Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The descriptions, from both of you, have my head spinning! I am dropping by T.J.'s tomorrow, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Trader Joe's and now I feel a need to run to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling you have no idea what you've been missing.

      Delete
  7. Buyer/eater beware! This is no East Coast chocolate babka. If something gooey, gluey, ultra sweet and overloaded with chocolate is what you like, I have no issue with that. But having grown up in New York, this TJ's version is far from authentic and shouldn't be called a Brooklyn Babka. The real stuff is delicate, buttery, pull-apart sweet bread layers swirled/accented with chocolate. Everything delicately balanced. To see what it should look like (and get the recipe) go here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chocolate-babka-236707

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dezi, thanks for the link. Im new to this stuff. The T.J.s heavy handed chocolate version is soooo wonderful. I had it for the first time yesterday. I love the texture. A bit of chewy and the crunch of chocolate. Its like fudge mixed with filo dough. But yes. Its a very different animal than what you have linked to.

      Delete
    2. TJs never advertises it as authentic Brooklyn Babka but it doesn't matter. It is absolutely delicious

      Delete
    3. Mine was very good and no gooey gluey to be found.

      Delete
  8. Our Trader Joe's finally had it. Omgoodness!!! To quote my friend, "it's a cross between brownie and....heaven." Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, knew of the chocolate babka only from Seinfeld. So when the TJ's Fearless Flyer came out advertising them, I had to try it. It's tasty, but as someone said a very heavy hand added the chocolate. So I have a whole babka minus one slice in the the frig and waiting to be consumed. Maybe I will try heating it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. make french toast with the old refrigerated babka

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright, so I had the chocolate babka from Trader Joe's first and LOVED it. I read reviews and couldn't believe that people said it wasn't as good as authentic babka. Then I tried Smitten Kitchen's simple babka (she has 2 recipes, I tried the easier one) and fell in looooove. This is still super delicious, but if you have time, I definitely suggest trying the "real" thing, because it is the stuff of legends.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover