Monday, March 17, 2014

Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt

Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt
For a long time, France was not near the top of my “must see” list.  Weird, I know.  Every girl wants to see the Eiffel Tower in person, right?  Not that I didn’t want to see it, but it wasn’t a burning desire. 

As I got older, though, I started thinking less about the Eiffel Tower and more about the FOOD.  I mean, macarons, croissants, and crepes…oh my.  Then, I heard a rumor that in France, mothers make chocolate sandwiches for their children for lunch or after-school snacks.  I have no idea if this is true or not, but NOW I have a burning desire to find out.

In the meantime, these.  Grilled chocolate sandwiches (or paninis) are a cinch to pull off at home and will definitely add a little “ooo-la-la” to your lunchtime.

the makings of ... Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt
Simple ingredients: a baguette, an orange, a little sea salt, a good chocolate bar and
Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil…perfect. I love the delicious, simple goodness of this sandwich.

chocolate sandwiches orange mix photo chocolatesandwiches-3.jpg
The orange zest adds a little freshness…and hey, go ahead a slice up that orange after zesting to serve as a side.  I like the long strings of orange zest, but feel free to use a smaller zester.

Sea salt and chocolate is a combination made in heaven.  Feel free to substitute any sea salt, but if you splurge for the fleur de sel, know that it will last you for ages!  I consider it a good investment. ;)

Here’s why I love Land O Lakes® Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil: It’s made with three ingredients. THREE!  Cream, canola oil, salt.  The end.  Grab it from the fridge and it’s perfectly spreadable, and soft enough to stir in other ingredients, like the orange zest.

chocolate sandwiches orange photo chocolatesandwiches-2.jpg
In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil and orange zest until well combined.

Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt
Cut each section of baguette in half lengthwise.  Spread 1/4 of the butter/orange mixture on the top cut half of each baguette (on the cut side, not the crust.)  Break the chocolate bars into large pieces to cover the bottom half of each baguette section.  Do not let the chocolate overhang.  Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt onto the chocolate.

Press the top and bottom halves together.

chocolate sandwiches precook photo chocolatesandwiches-5.jpg
Divide the remaining tablespoon of butter with canola oil between the 4 sandwiches, spreading on both sides.

Heat a Panini press.  Cook the sandwich for 1 to 1 and 1/2 minutes, until the chocolate is soft and just beginning to melt around the edges, but is not completely melted.  (Alternatively, heat a pan over medium heat, place the sandwich on the pan, and press down with another pan weighted with a can or cookbook.  Cook for 1 and 1/2 minutes per side.)

You’ll want the chocolate to still have some “bite,” and not be melted all the way through.  Melting along the edges is just fine…and just delicious.

Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt
Ooo-la-la, y’all. 

I’m so happy to be working with Land O’Lakes this year as a part of their Kitchen Conversations team. Be on the lookout for more posts and fun events throughout the year.  Team Butter!!!

Be sure to check out the buttery delicious recipes from the rest of the group: Ree, Sommer, Julie, Maria, Jenny, Jessica, Joanne, and Brenda
breakfast at the lodge with Land O' Lakes
I just returned home from a trip out to the ranch with this group.  I've had the pleasure of meeting each of these ladies before.  When you read someone's blog and then actually meet them in person, they really do feel like old friends almost immediately.

fun at the lodge with Land O' Lakes
There was a cooking contest, ranch tour, a tour of (the!) building, power outage, Charlie sighting...and, oh yeah, eating butter with a spoon.  Yep.  It was a GOOD TIME.

fun on the ranch with Land O' Lakes
We also got to sample each other's recipes.  Those links up there?  Make them all.  These girls know their way around food...and butter.  Each and every recipe is a winner.  Each and every one will make an appearance in my kitchen!

*some of these images are courtesy of Sommer, Julie, and Land O'Lakes*

chocolate sandwiches press napkin photo chocolatesandwiches-6.jpg

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg

Chocolate Baguette Sandwiches with Orange and Sea Salt

Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
•    3 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil, divided
•    Zest of one large orange
•    French baguette, cut into 4 equal portions
•    8 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate bars (not chips)
•    Pinch sea salt, such as fleur de sel

Directions:
In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil and orange zest until well combined.

Cut each section of baguette in half lengthwise. Spread 1/4 of the butter/orange mixture on the top cut half of each baguette.  Break the chocolate bars into large pieces to cover the bottom half of each baguette section. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt onto the chocolate.

Press the top and bottom halves together. Heat a Panini press.

Cook the sandwich for 1 to 1 and 1/2 minutes, until the chocolate is soft and just beginning to melt around the edges, but is not completely melted. If you do not have a Panini press, heat a pan over medium heat, place the sandwich on the pan, and press down with another pan weighted with a can or cookbook.  Cook for 1 and 1/2 minutes per side.

sunrise on the ranch
{sunrise on the ranch}

Disclosure: Bake at 350 has partnered with Land O'Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of
Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversations blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O'Lakes.


40 comments:

  1. That looks like you had such a fun time! The ranch looks totally amazing...as does your chocolate/orange sandwich! YUM!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so glad to spend time with you last week, Bridget! And these sandwiches...to die for!! So glad I got to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sandwiches were absolutely scrumptious, Bridget! Orange and chocolate are just meant to be together. But then add buttery goodness...wow. It was SO FUN to spend some time with you in Oklahoma (and eat your yummy sandwiches), you're such a sweetie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still dreaming about this sandwich! I loved spending time with you at the ranch! It was such a fun trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so decadent & delicious!! Ooolalalala indeed!! What a beautiful bunch of ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister-in-law makes "chocolate toast" for my niece: toast with squares of chocolate on it. (I believe that the hot toast melts the chocolate nicely.) But she isn't French.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were in Germany my great grandma would get fresh rolls every morning and they were still warm when she got home. We would put nutella or just a chocolate bar on them and that was or breakfast! My mom used to live in germany and that would be her lunch so the rumor is true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so yummy. My dad used to get this when he was a little boy and out on a scout's excursion. Bread + chocolate, the French know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome time you girls must have had! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I just died and went to heaven... this looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at chocolate and baguette. It's a nice take on the french pain au chocolate. But it's a travesty to NOT use real butter. Especially if you are talking about any food that is French related. That canola oil stuff was a complete turn off, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey B KP!

      You could always use the butter with olive oil (I love it, too, just butter, olive oil & salt)...or just softened regular butter.

      PS...I just learned recently that margarine was invented in....FRANCE! Can you believe that? I don't use margarine, but I thought that was an interesting and unexpected tidbit.

      Delete
  12. Goodness gracious this looks sinfully delicious. I'm gonna need one asap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bridget,
    My hubby would love this.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun trip! It truly sounds amazing as does this sandwich!! I mean, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing! And your trip sounds super fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sandwiches were the BEST! I had such a great time hanging out with you Bridget. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG this sandwich. I totally would've eaten 10 more at the ranch if I had the room haha. I think I may just have one of these for lunch. I have the exact same chocolate =) So good to see you Bridget, I just love your smile and funny jokes! See you in MN!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun time you had! I think I would have spent a lot of time cuddling with Charlie:) I have only made two grilled chocolate sandwiches, but now I have a hankering to make one tomorrow. However, this time I will add sea salt and orange zest..YUM! SOMEDAY, My husband and I do plan to make it to Paris:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the pictures! And YAY for butter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun adventure! These baguette sandwiches sound like delicious, carb-ilicious bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bridget!! I am still dreaming of your amazing chocolate orange sandwich! Gotta make it again stat! Loved spending time with you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Orange butter and chocolate, sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't know about France, but here in Jerusalem my kids often get a chocolate sandwich as an afternoon snack in daycare. They LOVE it, how I feel is another story....

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck my brother an excellent article please allow me to leave my comment


    شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover