Thursday, October 17, 2013

I'll miss you, my imaginary friends!

This Friday (tomorrow) will be a sad day in my life.   
What Not to Wear will air its final episode.

After ten years, the show is ending...and my dream never came true.  What dream?  Oh, to be on an UNTELEVISED version of WNTW, complete with drinks out every night with Stacy and Clinton.
{I swear, I was really holding out hope that it would happen.}

WNTW manhattan ::: a tribute to What Not to Wear, bakeat350.blogspot.com #WNTW
Since drinks with S & C never happened, we're going to make one.  Not quite as fun.  More on this later...

WNTW manhattan ::: a tribute to What Not to Wear, bakeat350.blogspot.com #WNTW
...I even broke out my vintage cocktail glasses.  Side note: maraschino cherries in the bottom of a glass?  The best. 

A. Stacy and Clinton.  I love them.  Love.  When people have been your imaginary best friends for 10 years, it's hard to capture it in one bullet point.  From Stacy's "Shut the front door" and Clinton's "Turtle Lady" song, what can I say?  They complete me.

B.  Ted. Oh my GOSH!  Ted!!!  I want Ted to be my next-door neighbor and maybe I could trade him baked goods for hair advice.  Ted has this amazing eye for what color and cut will really flatter.  He has a gift. (And, hello, he's from Texas!)

C. Carmindy. You know the part when Carmindy says, "take a look at you..." or something similar?  That's where the water works start.  I don't even have to see the person.  Tears. On Cue.  Plus, love the "Carmindized" face...and how she brings out people's natural beauty! 

Despite the fact that I still own a few too many pairs of capri pants, here's what I've learned from Stacy and Clinton over the years...
  • COLOR, TEXTURE, PATTERN, and SHINE
  • completer pieces make an outfit,
  • you can mix metallics (this was HUGE for me!),
  • fit trumps pattern,
  • outfits and accessories should "go," not match (ah...so can I go back and re-do the 80s?),
  • emphasize the smallest part,
  • saturated tones (no oatmeal),
  • dress for the size you are, not the size you were or want to be,
  • your clothes should make you happy!

Still, I need Stacy & Clinton's help.  Still, I need a major closet intervention.  But, I do hear their voices in my head as I'm shopping.  And this kind of hearing voices, I think (?), is a good thing.

WNTW manhattan ::: a tribute to What Not to Wear, bakeat350.blogspot.com #WNTW
 print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
The WNTW Manhattan
{serves 2, adapted from Clinton Kelly's Stinton}

3 ounces bourbon
1 ounce port
4 dashes bitters
maraschino cherries
seltzer


In a shaker filled with ice, combine the bourbon, port, and bitters.  Shake well.  Strain into glasses over a few maraschino cherries.  Top with seltzer.

WNTW manhattan ::: a tribute to What Not to Wear, bakeat350.blogspot.com #WNTW
Cheers to 10 seasons of What Not to Wear!  Cheers to Stacy, Clinton, Ted, and Carmindy!  Friday nights won't be the same without you!!!


In case you're needing more Stacy and Clinton (like me), I really enjoyed Stacy's latest book, The Truth about Style. It's a great read. Clinton has a new book out, too!  It's called Freakin' Fabulous on a Budget.  It's brand new, so I haven't read it....but feel sure that it's, well, fabulous!  Cheers!

28 comments:

  1. Somehow I stopped watching a few years ago but the other night I saw that it's on Netflix & it made my day. I can't wait to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad it's ending! Although my wallet may be thankful because all that show does is make me want to toss everything out and start over with a shopping spree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad that it's the last episode too! I actually got to meet Stacy and Clinton last year at NY fashion night out. They're both super nice! And taller than I thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i saw this title, i thought it meant YOU were leaving, and i was so sad! not happy that WNTW is ending, either, but glad you'll still be around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the laughs and even though I will skip the cocktail, I might STILL put a cherry in the bottom of my glass! Here's hoping we can all get the same results WITHOUT the 360 mirror!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing this show come to an end is like watching your two best friends break up after a beautiful 10-year relationship. I love WNTW and the entire cast. I'm going to miss them too :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post so much! Be sure to share it with them on their Facebook pages - I'm sure that they will all love it too! I'll be drinking with you tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad that WNTW is ending! Love that show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tweeted a link to your post to Clinton :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in a bit of denial over this. Must drink more cocktails to soothe the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great show! I'm sure they would NOT be happy if they took a peek at my closet! :) Love these drinks too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOOOOOO! You know how we all dream about sending in our friend's name (or coworker or something) to the show, but never do? Now we will never get the chance. Boo :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always liked that show, too. I had no idea it was ending. What a nice long run it had...and what a shame it is ceasing production. I loved the rapport between the two of them. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post.....made me wish I'd watched the show more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't watched that show in years, but when I did it was my absolute favorite! Sad to see it gone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a bummer that this show is ending, but I'm so glad it came back!
    My favorite episode might have been when the girl they made over HATED the haircut she got. It was ridiculous because her new hairstyle was awesome, but she ended up having them change the color again because she was so upset. Some people just don't appreciate the good advice being handed to them...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know it might sound crazy, but I apply the COLOR PATTERN TEXTURE SHINE theory to all the cookies that I decorate. I love Stacy and Clinton and WNTW so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You could always fly to MN and visit his store at the Mall of America. (I think it's still there.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree. Clinton did have a shop in orland mall near Chicago. I have never gone there, but I think it might still be there. It was not really a shop but an alteration place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just watched their final episode, and I had to concentrate to keep from crying at their goodbyes! That is a fantastic show. I will miss it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love "What not to wear", it was our cool thing to watch on Friday's nights…so sad that it is over ; ( We saw the show yesterday following your instructions, wine, pj and snacks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 10 years went by FAST! How I would love to be personally tutored and dressed by those two!

    ReplyDelete
  23. True story - I've never watched WNTW!! *ducks for cover!* I know, I have CLEARLY missed out. Can we still share a Manahttan together? :) They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am Stacy's WORST nightmare. They would eat me. Then I would need about ten of these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
    Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorite show. *sniff* I'm profoundly sad that it's over, which might seem silly, but it really did have a huge effect on me. When it started, I had just entered my early 20's and still did the majority of my shopping in the Juniors department. What Not to Wear got me out of Juniors and helped me as I developed my own sense of style. They taught me that it's not about what everybody else is wearing, it's about what looks good on YOUR body and what makes YOU feel confident.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Immediately started singing "She's the crazy turtle lady..." in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover