Thursday, August 8, 2013

Goobed-Up Potato Chip Cookies


goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Goobed Up = adorned generously

I first heard the term "goobed up" years ago when my cousin was describing a craft project.  Goobed up just so perfectly describes anything piled with add-ons.  Is it not the best term ever?!?  I say we make it a thing!

Tomorrow, I pledge to eat a goobed-up cup of frozen yogurt.

These cookies, my friends, are goobed up with potato chips, sprinkles, and mini chocolate chips.  Don't they just make you happy?
goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Before the recipe, I have to tell you about the cookbook where the un-goobed recipe came from:  Cookies for Kids' Cancer: All the Good Cookies.  It's all at once heartbreaking and inspiring.

In 2007, Gretchen Holt-Witt raised over $420,000 for pediatric cancer treatments by selling 96,000 cookies.  Her motivation?  Her son, Liam, who had been diagnosed with pediatric cancer.  Gretchen and her husband got proactive and started Cookies for Kids' Cancer, a non-profit that encourages people to host bake sales and events.

All the Good Cookies contains many tried-and-true cookie recipes, as well as bake sale stories and tips for hosting your own sale or event.

goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
This organization has raised MILLIONS to fund pediatric cancer research.  In 2011, one of the grants they funded was a project Discover Magazine named as #10 on their list of the Top 100 Scientific Stories of the Year.  Not only is Cookies for Kids' Cancer doing good, they are obviously very wise about where and how the funds raised are spent.

If you like cookies...and something tells me that if you're reading this blog, you do...I encourage you to check out Cookies for Kids' Cancer: All the Good Cookies.  

goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in the book, Sally's Potato Chip Cookies.  I hope they don't mind that I goobed them up a little. These cookies are buttery, crispy, and more of a shortbread texture than a chocolate chip cookie. 

They're fun for kids...or kids at heart.

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg  
Goobed-Up Potato Chip Cookies
{adapted from All the Good Cookies, makes 13}

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
3/4 cup crushed potato chips, plus more for the tops (I used Lay's)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
3 TBSP sprinkles, plus more for the tops

Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookies sheets with parchment.

Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.  Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.


With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour.  

goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Fold in the potato chips, chocolate chips and sprinkles.

goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Use a 2 TBSP cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto the prepared sheets.  Press more sprinkles and crushed potato chips into the top of each cookie. 


goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Bake for 15 minutes or so until the edges are browned.  Let the cookies set on the cookie sheets for a minute or two, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
goobed-up potato chip cookies ::: bake at 350 blog potatochipcookiesfront.jpg



44 comments:

  1. My new catch phrase is so going to be "goobed up"! And the cookies, look fantastically goobed up! I shall add them to my Baking To Do List!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. potato chips, sprinkles, and mini chocolate chips = YES!

    Goobed up, love it :)

    I've made potato chip cookies once, but yours look way more fun with sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding potato chips to cookies sounds like the greatest thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious!!! Hope you have a great weekend honey. Kori xoxo

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls used to make potato chip cookies but I don't remember that they had all the extra goodies in them. YUM! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goobed up now become my favourite word. And these cookies may also become a fave :)
    www.thisbakergirlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blog so much! The layout is amazing.
    I'm your newest follower via google (7315).
    I'd love it if you could check out my blog and follow me back as well Also,
    if you'd like to keep in touch via twitter,
    just do so and let me know so I cab follow back =)
    Have anice day, hugs Beyaz Sır <3
    http://whiteglaze.blogspot.com
    twitter: @_gamzeahmet_

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these cookies...MUST MAKE!
    Also, would it be weird to say my entire life is goobed up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, these cookies make me very happy!! The perfect friday treat for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect combination :) Please can I ask what sprinkles you used/where you got them from?

    Thank you. I really enjoy following your blog :) Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sprinkles were a gift from Heather of Sprinkle Bakes, but I have similar ones from Williams-Sonoma. :)

      Delete
  11. 3/4 cup crushed potato chips? It's not specified in the recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....cup. I guess 3/4 of a potato chip wouldn't go very far, huh? ;) Fixed in the printable, will be fixed on the blog ASAP.

      Delete
    2. It was pretty obvious, but I thought I'd check. Thanks a million!

      Delete
  12. My grandma used to make potato chip cookies all the time I love them! These are even better with sprinkles and chocolate chips!!! Yum-O

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yum! Sprinkles make everything more fun and festive, right? I've had potato chip cookies before, and I thought the concept was a little wacky...until I tasted them! But this "goobed up" version looks even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these. look. perfect. speaking of throwing randomly delicious ingredients into your chocolate chip cookie mix, have you tried buttered popcorn chocolate chip cookies? amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha, great saying! I'll pretty much eat anything with sprinkles on top ;) These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These cookies are so cute and they look super tasty! They are going on my TO MAKE list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is now my goal to use the term "goobed up" on a weekly basis :P

    These cookies look awesome! I was definitely expecting a cake batter cookie thought because of the sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I have to make these soon, Bridget!!! Woah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. say what?! im not sure about this....ohh who am i kidding?! sounds delicious and unique. i will definitely be trying this....eventually =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am totally adding "goobed up" to my everyday vocabulary -- I think it'll catch on at my high school ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that term, haha! And these cookies look so delicious. I've yet to try potato chip cookies, but these are tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I WANT ALL THE GOOBED UP THINGS!! Can't wait to check out that cookbook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm, I think all cookies should be goobed up! These sound & look fantastic. And what a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm pretty sure these are my favorite cookies, ever! I'd be in serious danger if I made them! ;-D (So of course, will make them!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know if these goobed up cookies would make it to the baking stage before I gobbled up the dough!?! I need to check into the cookbook, especially since it's for such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been making potato chip cookies with chocolate chips for years and never once considered them 'goobed up' - it's the sprinkles that do that magic! They are one of my most favorite cookies...it was that touch of salt thing way before everything became 'salted.' So good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute!

    "Goobed Up" in the Midwest means pretty much the complete opposite of the way it's been used here. I like this use better. :) I make a potato chip cookie that's called the Kitchen Sink cookie...cuz pretty much everything but the kitchen sink is in there. Love the addition of the colorful sprinkles. (mine look like a bland kitchen sink - must change that)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm..... potato chips in a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Potato Chips is very easy to use where you can prepare many different snacks without taking much of your time. Being very popular it is used widely in the different countries. The best part is that it helps in preparing the Potato Chips in the spiral frame that not only makes it look very interesting and beautiful but also makes it very tasty as well.
    thanks
    Potato Chips

    ReplyDelete
  30. anyone else try making these? they seemed very bland to me. just buttery.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Works everytime and much healthier!Thanks for an excellent, yet easy, Potato Chip Cookies. It is my new favorite recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks good and colorfully delicious. Thanks for this experimental recipe. I will try it soon after I'm done with this recipe called southern biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These cookies look so good with the sprinkles and potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow! I like this simple dessert of yours, simple, colourful and pretty much easy to make... Definitely I would be making these for the young ones of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your recipe rocks..never see or had this type of beautiful potato chips cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You know, I was really excited about these cookies but they just didn't turn out like I imagined! Followed the recipe exactly, but they're very crumbly and taste more like shortbread than anything else.

    Has anyone else had the same problem? I wonder if it's due to powdered sugar rather than regular white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalie!

      I'm sorry you didn't love them. They're definitely more on the shortbread/pecan sandie side of the cookie spectrum rather than the chocolate chip side. :)

      Delete
  37. My mom used to make potato chip cookies and we all loved them. Unfortunately, her recipe went to the grave with her 16 years ago. I thought I hit the jackpot when I found this recipe. It wasn't like hers at all. However, it was easy, quick and not bad for easy appetizers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover