Thursday, June 20, 2013

Desserts for Dudes: Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies

If I want a sure-fire dessert hit with my boys, I know exactly the combo to go to: peanut butter and chocolate.
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies ::: bake at 350 blog

Enter Averie Sunshine's book, Peanut Butter Comfort.  It arrived on my doorstep a few weeks ago and I've been salivating over the more than 100 recipes and gorgeous pictures every since.  I'm talking, you'll want to eat peanut butter for every meal for the rest of your life recipes.
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies ::: bake at 350 blog
If you have a peanut butter lover in your life, I cannot recommend this cookbook highly enough.

pb blondies chips photo pbblondieschips.jpg
Because June is Desserts for Dudes month around here, I let kiddo pick our first recipe to try.  (I also let him choose because I truly wanted to make ALL of them.)

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies ::: bake at 350 blog
He choose the Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies...and oh. my. gosh.  They are dreamy.  Rich, creamy, delicious.

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies ::: bake at 350 blog

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies
{from Peanut Butter Comfort, with permission of Averie Sunshine}

yield: 9 large squares

1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted 
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Line an 8x8" pan with foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter and brown sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.  Add the flour and stir just until combined, taking care not to overmix.

Fold in 3/4 cups chocolate chips. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing with an offset spatula if needed.

Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for about 45 seconds, on high power, and stir until smooth.  Evenly drizzle the peanut butter over the batter.  Run a knife through the batter, back and forth a few times, to marble it. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top.

Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until the edges begin to slightly pull away from the pan.  The peanut butter won't appear fully done but will set up as the blondies cool.

Allow the bars to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.  Store blondies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Chip Blondies ::: bake at 350 blog
Averie, thanks for letting me share your recipe! 

The rest of you guys...get in your kitchen this instant and make these beauties!  (I'll admit that was a little bossy, but DO IT!)


31 comments:

  1. Oh my word, these look amazing! I've been drooling over everything in Averie's book and just can't decide where to begin! So much great stuff in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make these very soon, love how easy yet yummy this recipe is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should there be baking powder or soda in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there's not. I wanted them to be dense and fudge-like, so kept the chemical leaveners out of the recipe.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I did make them yesterday and they turned out divine! I had to stow them in the freezer to stop eating them.

      Delete
  4. I got Averie's book as well, and agree that it's awesome!! Girl knows her peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the dudes! I want one of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Bridge, for making these from my cookbook and posting about them! They look incredible and you did a fabulous job on them! I would love to reach through the screen and take a big bite! Tell your son thanks for picking these - great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look incredible and I would expect nothing less from Averie! She is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look wonderful! Going to try them gluten free!~ April

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I'll get this book :) I checked few Averie's recipes and it's all so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday which is collecting snacks and treats? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. There are already quite a lot of links for you to check out. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh lordie--I love Averie's recipe, and I certainly loved your dude's taste in desserts :) this reminds me that I need to try these. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm peanut butter is one of the tastiest creations ever :) These look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything you got going on up there. I also think I need to get my paws on that book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh God. They look to die for.
    Like seriously, to die for.

    joyjoii+ {food, fashion, lifestyle} 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kiddo made a great selection! These blondies look great for dudes or ladies! I can't wait to try and to pick up Averie's book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these last night, and they were super tasty! Only thing I think I will do different next time is only use 1/4 cup of melted peanut butter on top. The 1/2 cup was so much it made a solid layer of peanut butter, I really couldn't swirl it. Instead I had pools of peanut butter with just the teeniest bit of the batter peeking through. But- they are still super tasty :D Thanks for such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that happen too... and that it started to melt the choc chips as I tried to swirl... lol

      Delete
  17. Made these in mini muffin tins last night - SO GOOD! Used exactly the same measurements for everything & got 36 of them, scooping a heaping tsp of dough into each. I can already tell these will become regulars around here, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think if Heaven was to be described as a dessert, this would be the one to do it justice! Kiddo chose a great one to share from this wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Averie's recipe!! This looks amazingly delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peanut butter speaks to me...especially when I try to ignore it. So if I 'm going to eat it anyway, it might as well be delicious. This recipe certainly fits the bill for that. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want these! And I am not a boy! I am also in love with the suggestions of putting these in a mini muffin pan. YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. these look amazing! I've been ogling over everything in Averie's guide and just can't choose where to begin! So much excellent things in there!


    cheapest rs gold
    World of Warcraft Gold
    aion gold

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! These bars look great! I'm sure everyone would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Think I'll be making these tonight! Love it when I have all of the ingredients for a recipe in my pantry :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover