Monday, June 10, 2013

Brusha, brusha, brusha: Brush Embroidery Cookie Tutorial

First, for all of you who thought immediately of Jan in Grease when you read that post title, I love you.
Here's a clip.
brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
{Brush embroidery cookies look so romantic, almost like they belong in Victoria Magazine.}

Over the last couple of weeks, my dining room and kitchen tables have been covered in cookies.  Pint glasses filled with piping bags have collected on the kitchen counter.  We were eating a lot of take-out...and ice cream. (That has absolutely nothing to do with cookie decorating, but it happened.)

This is how things typically run at the end of a school year.  I even tried the ol', "I bet your teachers would like gift cards instead of cookies this year."  Kiddo was having none of it.
brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
So, in my mad rush to make and package cookies, I neglected to photograph any tutorials.  I popped a quick picture onto Instagram and, well, the masses spoke.  OK...3 people spoke, but I decided to take some quick how-to pics.

Here's what you need to know about brush embroidery: IT'S SUPER DUPER EASY!!!  I think the first time I ever saw it was a Ali Bee's beautiful blog.  I used a method almost exactly like hers except, I used a damp brush.

brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
To make brush embroidery cookies, you'll need:
  • sugar cookies that have been outlined and filled with royal icing, and have dried overnight (I used a mix of AmeriColor Dusty Rose + Lemon Yellow for the base color.)
  • royal icing for the embroidery, I used AmeriColor Ivory (piping consistency) 
  • disposable icing bag
  • coupler and tip (#2)
  • clean, flat paintbrush
  • cup of water
  • paper towels
{Please note that I had already decorated all of the cookies BEFORE taking pictures for this tutorial. I scraped all of the brush embroidery off of one cookie to show you. Hence, the weird finish on the base.}
brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
Use a #2 tip to pipe squiggly lines as an outer layer of petals.

brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
Dampen the brush with water, then blot very well on a paper towel.  Place the brush right into the icing and pull towards the center.

brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
Make another layer,

brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
and then another.

brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
In the center, pipe some dots for the flower center.

Done.  See?  EASY!

And, who says brush embroidery has to be soft and pastel?
brush embroidery cookie tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog

Who wants to try it?!?

{Some of the links above are Amazon Associates links.}


decorating cookies badge photo decoratingcookiesbadge-1.jpg

44 comments:

  1. Yay! first one to post a comment, finally! I can't wait to try this out as soon as I am done with finals!! Thanks for being AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so good at designs, makes me jealous! Love your tutorials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look super pretty and you make it look so easy! Such a simple technique with such great results - love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haahah, I like Grease :) And I like all the beautiful patterns you make. Your cookies rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, Bridget!!! They look so dainty and pretty - almost too special to eat - but I know how great your cookies taste, so forget saving them for beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. STUNNING! As aways! So pretty and so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great technique, the cookies look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you scrapped off the cookie for this tutorial. Shows us that if we don't like the pattern it's possible to fix. Your colour choices are great, the dusty rose and lemon yellow combination is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial, really cute cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This worked out great for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Its beautiful, I would like to do this cookies, I need practice a lot !! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! Thanks for adding more skills to our toolboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so pretty! I love the blue one with the pink/redish "embroidery"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I am on of the '5' who asked!
    And brusha brusha brusha...I lol'ed at my desk...at work

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! The brightly colored cookies are so summery and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so beautiful and bright... i'll be making similar decorations as a graduation gift for a dear friend <3 thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm amazed at how even and perfect your brush strokes are. My brush embroidery cookies are never that perfect. I've got something to strive for. BTW, I'm sure the teachers preferred your cookies over a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial, Bridget! You gotta love it when you find an easy technique that has a beautiful effect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful!! What a great technique..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh these look so pretty! All of your cookies do. I think I would almost feel bad about eating one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look gorgeous! you are incredibly talented Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! I love sugar cookies but have never built up the courage to make them - My skills are definitely not in decorating my baked goods. However, these are just so pretty, especially in the bright colours, I'm going to have to give them a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is simply gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness!!!As soon as you showed those blue cookies, i literally said OH MY GOOODNESS! Those are the best looking cookies EVER! ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH! i would totally make them except whenever i make sugar cookies, i fail, they fail....And i never know where to buy/find royal icing (whenever i try to make THAT i also fail), do you have any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this Bridgett. And yes I thought of grease....as I know every word to all the movies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not only do I have a huge urge to go watch Grease but I also want to run to the kitchen to make cookies and decorate. Okay I should probably buy some new paintbrushes first ;) But this is so happening - soon-ish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So so pretty!! I couldn't bear to eat those.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look so cute! I love the turquoise with the yellow - would be perfect for my brothers Mexican theme wedding!

    FoodNerd x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's so nice and look so easy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I TOTALLY thought of Grease and "brusha, brusha, brusha!" (That's why I love you so! )These look SO fun! Bet my girlies would love to do this! Thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Goodness gracious, you are way too talented. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Like your blog, thank you for your sharing

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just curious do you use a regular paint brush, like from the craft section or do you buy the food ones in the cake decorating aisle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie!

      I bought this one in the painting section. Just look for one NOT made of animal hair. ;)

      Delete
  34. THESE ARE UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are really lovely tutorials for stitching, my daughter is 11 and really wants to stitch but it's difficult as she's a leftie and I'm a rightie and it all gets a bit confused muddled and frustrating for both of us, we will work through the stitches using your guide, as it's visual I think it will help a lot.
    Thank you for taking the time out to share these instructions...it's hard showing someone something you just do (well I think it is any way)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you ever so much for this! To even say I am a beading 'novice' seems an overstatement..although I HAVE purchased them...But, you have given such a wonderful demonstration, I feel more empowered to embark upon this insane project for which I have volunteered!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks so much for this! I'm trying to make some plushy toys but I really hate eye beads, and being inexperienced with stitching I didn't know what to look for ^^ this is a great tutorial, thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is beautiful! I'm now inspired to try this on one of my sewing projects! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover