Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hold Your Horses

Every year, the end of April/beginning of May means one thing around our house: horse cookies.
kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
Surrounded by horses for weeks, this is the closest I'll ever get to living like The Pioneer Woman.

My dad helps to host a charity event in Amarillo the day of the Kentucky Derby every year...and every year horse cookies are on the menu.  The problem is that horse cookies don't ship well.  You see, they have thin legs, and necks that stick out.  Not the ideal shape for shipping.

kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
After lots of begging, and maybe a few tears on my part, my dad finally gave in to letting me add some horse head cookies into the mix.  I think I like them better than the full horses (maybe it's the eyelashes)...and I know they'll arrive to the party in better shape.

kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
To make some Kentucky Derby horse head cookies, you'll need:
kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
Outline the horses with a #2 tip and brown icing.  Reserve some of this icing for piping details later.

Thin the brown and white icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  (Reserve some of the blue icing for piping details later.) You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles as needed.

kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
Flood the cookies, filling in the outlines. Use toothpicks to spread the icing and pop any large air bubbles that have formed.  Let the cookies dry at least one hour.

kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
Add the details. Use a #2 or 3 tip to add the bridle in electric green (or another color).  Add and eye with brown icing using a #2 tip.

kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350
Use a #2 tip to pipe the mane and nostril.  Switch the tip to a #1 and add eyelashes.

Let the cookies dry, uncovered, 6-8 hours or overnight.

(For a tutorial on the full horses, click here.  And for some *gorgeous* Derby Party inspiration, check out my friend Courtney's blog, Pizzazzerie!)
kentucky derby cookie tutorial | bake at 350

Hoof it on into your kitchen and make 'em. ;) 


decorating cookies badge photo decoratingcookiesbadge-1.jpg

34 comments:

  1. How cute are these?! Your work is always so beautiful Bridget. I'll bet the people who attend the charity event are thrilled to get their hands on these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. My Daughter has been riding for over a year now and I think we might do a Horse themed 7th birthday party for her.
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the horse head! Brillant (and darling) solution to the horse leg breakage issue!! Just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the eyelashes! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable, Bridget! The details are always amazing with what you can do with your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cookies! My son loves horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is just wonderful that you continue to make these cookies for your Dad's charity event year after year. It's a huge undertaking. I think the horse head cookies are a great addition this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These could not be any more adorable Bridget!! My four year old sister would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I need those cutters! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. <3 where did you get the cutters? should have them for when I go back home to KY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My niece would flip if she saw these!
    Not sure I can make them as pretty as you have, but I sure want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know so many people who would adore these cookies to the moon and back! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a horse lover I just ADORE these! Definitely need to make them with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so lovely! I just can't imagine biting into any of your turbo cute creations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the horse heads...in real life AND cookie form, they're so cute:) You and Kathia (Pink Little Cake) are on the same wavelength with the horse heads:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. well these are ridiculously cute!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are so cute and your icing is perfect! I think I need a bit more practice!
    x
    http://katieskitchenjournal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning work! I hope some day I can make cookies like you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your horses are precious. In fact, they're super cute!
    Love how you help so many people learn to decorate really cute cookies!
    Kudos Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I live in Amarillo! Small world:) I might have to track down this charity event so that I can have one of those delicious cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't even take how adorable these are! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the horse heads! I live in lexington ky and this time of year is always horse crazy. I recently made a batch of race horse cookies based on your previous tutorial and they were a huge hit at the event I took them to. Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the heads! Eyelashes are a must! Horses really do have beautiful long lashes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love both! I have never seen a horse cuter! I just had to share it with my followers too! http://blovelyevents.com/2013/04/25/horse-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Horse cookies have always given me fits! And you have to do them yearly? Best daughter ever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love them! My husband is from Kentucky, and we always try to celebrate the derby (even though we never get to go). I will have to get my hands on some horse cookie cutters so I can make some of this adorableness

    ReplyDelete
  27. You won't believe this but I've always loved the long eyelashes on horses.
    I too love the horse heads and think they will be a huge hit!
    Next year I'm coming and sitting with you in your kitchen for DAYS when you make the HORSE cookies!
    If you're like me~
    and I know you are~
    we'll do anything for our sweet Daddy!
    xo
    LOVE these cookies B!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. where do you get the horse head cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover