Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Simple Irish Soda Bread

This might be the easiest bread you'll ever make.  Which, in my mind, makes it the most dangerous. 
irish soda bread baked photo irishsodabreadbaked.jpg
A bread dough that comes together in less than 5 minutes, bakes for 25, and is ready to be slathered with butter and in my tummy in 30?  Oh yeah, that's dangerous.

The Irish are onto something, my friends.

If you're looking for a delicious meal to serve on St. Patrick's Day, bake up a loaf and serve it alongside this Irish Beer Cheese Soup.  I think St. Patrick would approve.
irish soda bread sliced photo irishsodabreadsliced.jpg

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg
Simple Irish Soda Bread
{makes 1 loaf}

3 & 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 & 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Make a well in the center, and pour in the buttermilk.  Stir gently.  The dough will be sticky and soft, but not overly wet.  If needed, add in as much as 1/4 cup more buttermilk.

Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.  Form into and 8" circle and place on the prepared pan.
irish soda bread dough photo irishsodabreaddough.jpg
Use a sharp knife to cut a cross into the top of the dough.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
(This bread is also good totally cooled and served with butter and jam.)

{Adapted from the wonderful: The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook}

What are YOU making for St. Patrick's Day? 


Sur La Table 120x600 11.27.07

24 comments:

  1. Drool...you had me at "slathered with butter!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMHO everything should be "slathered with butter"! I love the Irish butter, Kerrygold. Have you tried it? I buy mine at Trader Joe's. Bridget, thanks for the simple recipe. This looks just like the kind I had for breakfast in Ireland.

      Delete
  2. OHH we don't have soda bread in France, I'm dying to try that.
    xoxo Le Grumeau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irish soda bread always makes me think of my grandmother (she was born in Ireland). It's also great with stews! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect bread - love the simple ones like this! I just made a buttermilk round bread like this that I havent blogged about yet. It was dangerously fast and easy like yours. Gorgeous pics - pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I love the fact that you didn't put raisins in it. - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite things is the simple taste of irish soda bread! And why yes we Irish are on to something! Might just have to whip some up and blog about it!!



    bakeletteblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not very often I have all the ingredients for a recipe and the inspiration on the same day, I may be making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made Irish soda bread the other day for the first time. So good! Love how easy this looks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love irish soda bread! My mom used to make it when I was a kid. Now I know why... I had no idea it was so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made Irish soda bread for the first time last week and I couldn't believe how easy it was! I'm going to make it all the time now! (See, there's the dangerous part you mentioned... :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Might be making both of those things on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy! This looks so good! It is definitely going on my to make list for St.Patrick's day this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore a good soda bread! Beautiful photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm starting early...tonight i'm making a layered green mint brownie...getting my chocolate on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are SO right! The easier the bread, the more dangerous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great and does seem very easy! The simplicity reminds me of a beer bread I make! I'll have to share it soon because it is so delicious and buttery! It would also pair well with the irish beer cheese soup! YUM! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried to make Irish Soda bread! It comes together in 5 minutes??? Perfect. Because that's about the same amount of time that it will take for me to inhale it. (my hips thank you) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic looking soda bread. Irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two very tasty recipies...the soup and the bread!!! And yes, since the soda bread is 'simple', it IS dangerous!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks so good! I'm not that good at baking but I'm gonna give it a try! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover